I feel like I'm 15!

Options
iRun4wine
iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
To make an unnecessarily long story short, I got braces put on in 6th grade. Was supposed to get them off by the end of 8th grade. Needless to say, it was junior year of high school before they actually came off. :sick: Then, that day, the dentist says he wants to put a "permanent retainer" on the bottom of my teeth. Basically, it looked and felt just like regular braces only it was on the INSIDE of the bottom teeth. So, as you can imagine it wasn't comfortable to say the least. Junior year of college, while at the dentist one time, I asked "Can you take the permanent retainer off now? It's been four year. It's uncomfortable, it makes brushing and flossing difficult, and I've had enough of it" "When you're married," he said as he laughed- but was totally serious!:explode:

Well, 3 days ago, the darn thing finally broke- WAHOO, right? :bigsmile: I call my new dentist on Monday (I've since moved) and tell him that it broke, is super annoying and uncomfortable and that I've had a major headache because of it. He tells me to come in Wednesday at 11:30. I go in today and he says "ok we'll go ahead and fix it and re-bond it" :sad: :angry: :mad: Well, I almost jumped out of the dentist chair and strangled him. After some convincing I told him YOU TAKE IT OUT!!!:grumble: I'm proud to say that today, at the age of 24, I have no tools, gizmos, gadgets, braces, or any other sort of metal in my mouth for the first time since I was 12!:bigsmile: And it feels great... I feel like a 15 year old who just got my braces off- feels like my parents should be taking me to Friendly's to celebrate or something... :blushing:

Just had to share... it feels AMAZING!! :love: :wink:

Replies

• jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finally getting it removed.

Not to burst your bubble but I had the same retainer on the top and bottom behind my teeth. I had it removed because I thought it had been in long enough. I have been without them for about a year and a half and my teeth have shifted and are no longer straight.

So I highly recommend that you get some type of removable retainer and where it all of the time.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Thats great.... but I hate to tell you this, your teeth may shift. I have a wire on the inside of my bottom teeth, I don't even feel it or notice it, it will be there for the rest of my life and I wear a retainer on the top at night. When I don't wear it for awhile it gets really tight so you have to be careful. I'm not trying to burst your bubble just warning you!

~Leash :heart:
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Thanks- the dentist had the same warning for me. I've had my braces off for about 10 years. I'm hopeful that they won't shift, but you never know. The dentist said that if I noticed them moving I could go back and have a retainer made. Maybe I should do that now just to be proactive?
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Yea I would... you only would have to wear it like once a week at night, thats what I do. I figure as long as it still fits than my teeth haven't shifted.

~Leash :heart:
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I wonder what I could do to feel 1 again. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • dmarie7
    dmarie7 Posts: 3
    Options
    I must be weird.. I like having that bottom retainer behind my teeth! I've had my braces off for 8 years so I guess it just feels like part of my mouth now
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i have a permanent retainer on top and bottom. i usually don't notice it except for when food gets caught in it, which is ridiculously annoying. My parents have pretty much forbidden me from every taking them out for fear of having my teeth shift back. Like others have said, i would just wear the temporary one once a week or so to bed just to make sure that the movement of the teeth (It guaranteed to happen whether or not you keep the retainer in) is minimized.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    I must be weird.. I like having that bottom retainer behind my teeth! I've had my braces off for 8 years so I guess it just feels like part of my mouth now

That's how it was for me for a long time- but now as it got older, pieces would come off and it just wasn't aging so well. Most recently, I had 2 brackets right next to each other that came off so the wire was pressing into the back of my teeth- that's what caused the headache.:angry: I just figured that since it was so old it wasn't worth fixing. I'd rather have the retainer and wear it at night- even every other night, or once a week as others have said.:wink:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting it removed- I can't imagine having something in there permanently. I didn't even know they did that.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Me neither- I'm shocked :noway: how many people on MFP have it- NO ONE I know has it or has heard of it... everyone I know thinks I'm a total weirdo for having it :laugh:
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I just got my braces put on about 3 weeks ago!:tongue:

and I know some people who have the permanent retainer on the bottom
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    My teeth shifted after fives years of having my braces off. My bottom teeth are compleatly crooked again. I'm going to get braces or at least the clear retainer to get them back in place.