Bodymedia on a motorcycle?

Options
I just got back from a bike ride. According to my BMF, I burned more calories in one hour of this ride than I did in my one hour kickboxing class this morning.

Anyone else ever this happen? Doesn't seem like it would be accurate.

Replies

• Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    It can do that in cars too, it's a common discussion topic. The company states that because the unit can register bumps and swaying while in/on a vehicle as steps taken, it may be better to remove it for the duration of the ride and then edit with the off-body tool.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I've heard/read the same thing but have never had a car trip register anything more than the same as sitting on my couch. And I rode a scooter around for hours and hours a few weeks ago, also with no odd readings. Wonder why it happens for some folks and not others.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I don't think riding a motorcycle burns any calories. sorry.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I've heard/read the same thing but have never had a car trip register anything more than the same as sitting on my couch. And I rode a scooter around for hours and hours a few weeks ago, also with no odd readings. Wonder why it happens for some folks and not others.

Has a lot to do with road conditions as well as the vehicle. I would suspect that on a motorcycle, if you are swaying enough for balance, it would register activity like when you ride a regular bike. I know only certain patches of street register steps for me when I'm driving to work. It really has a lot to do with how much movement your body is making, as the exercise monitor of it figures in certain movements to keep track of your steps and such.
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I didn't think I could have burned as much as it said it did. Maybe a bit more than just sitting in a car, but not as much as my kickboxing class. The roads were NOT smooth, and it was quite windy, so a lot of bracing against the wind. :laugh: Next time, I think I'll take it off. I was so excited to see those numbers!!:blushing:

Oh well, now I know!!