In need of some low cal rhubarb recipes!

NaurielR
NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
Hey everybody!
My mom's rhubarb plant is HUGE this year. There's so much of it, and we only have one rhubarb recipe.

We have waaayyy too much rhubarb for only one recipe. Its a pretty darn good recipe, but this plant looks like it belongs in Little Shop of Horrors.

So, do any of you have healthy rhubarb recipes? Desserts/sweet dishes are preferred, but if you've got some flippin' awesome dish that isn't sweet, that's fine too. Basically I just want something low cal, tasty, and just a bit unique.

Replies

• Josephina57
    Josephina57 Posts: 170 Member
    My favorites are crumble and rhubarb sauce but neither one is low cal.
  • kitten7911
    kitten7911 Posts: 49 Member
    6 cupsRhubarb
    3 cups Miniature marshmallows ( I used the flavored marshmallows)
    1cup splenda
    1 pkg. Yellow Cake mix

Place chopped rhubarb on the bottom of your prepared pan. Sprinkle with sugar as evenly as possible.
    Spread the marshmallows over the top of the rhubarb and sugar.
    Prepare cake mix according to instructions on the package, pour over the rhubarb and marshmallows in the pan.

Bake at suggested temperature for allotted time, cool the marshmallow rhubarb cake in the pan for 10 minutes.
    Invert cake onto a serving tray or covered cookie sheet.

This upside down cake recipe, uses the marshmallows and rhubarb as a delicious and tart topping.
    3 points:happy:
  • JrCramer1084
    JrCramer1084 Posts: 1 Member
    When I stumbled on your post I remembered I just recently tried this recipe from the Marks Daily Apple website, its called Sweet & Tart Rhubarb and Berry Dessert Sauce. You put this with a bit of home made whipped cream and its delicious. It is relatively low carb since it uses Honey instead of of processed sugar and because of the flavor you don't want to eat a whole lot of it at once.

Just go to this site: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sweet-tart-rhubarb-and-berry-dessert-sauce/#axzz1vHEpt92N

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Boil down the rhubarb, some water and sugar (add strawberries - optional) into a thick compote. Use as much or as little of each ingredient as you like for the desired flavor. Cool and mix in with yogurt or cereal. You could also freeze in molds for popsicles - yum!
  • mamamezzo3
    mamamezzo3 Posts: 1 Member
    I found a website that has a number of low cal recipes for rhubarb. I'm not a fan of rhubarb so I can't tell you how they taste. I did put the strawberry and rhubarb pie into a calorie calculator and if you cut it into 8 pieces it's about 45 calories.

Hope you find something you like!

http://www.divinecaroline.com/33619/98940-make-calorie-rhubarb-recipes
  • 79smudge
    79smudge Posts: 26 Member
    Bump!
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    If you still have a lot left after all of these fabulous recipes you could just stew it down and freeze it. You can awesome rhubarb forever!