self-sabotage

Options
ck2d
ck2d Posts: 372 Member
Due to my familial obligations I workvout at night. I get to the gym by 9PM sharp (then I can watch Larry King Live - don't even notice I'm exercising).

The thing is this - after I've worked out and the endorphins kick in, some sick little part of my brain thinks, "Hey - you just worked out - you deserve a reward!" and I get an iced coffee with cream or grab a beer or polish off some leftovers.

It's quite the nasty little habit I've gotten myself into. I know (or I think - perhaps this is part of my delusional self-sabotaging?) that my body is craving liquids and calories to make up for what I expelled during my workout.

I started going to the gym in April, immediately lost 15 lbs (and 4 dress sizes!), got used to the routine of it, and bounced right back up again. I've recommitted to doing cardio as well as weights and lost 5. But considering I work out hard for at least a half hour 5-6 days a week, that's pathetic! I have to lose over 100 lbs - at this rate it will take over 5 years!

Any ideas about how I can knock off the bad habit? Yes, I'm more healthy, and now I can keep up with my 7 year old son, but truthfully, I want to be leaner, too. I have no willpower at the end of the day...

Replies

• calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It sounds crazy but... mint sugarless gum works for me or brushing my teeth. It tricks my brain that I had a treat and because my breath has that "just brushed" feeling: I am less likely to introduce a new food or drink.
  • joj7bat
    joj7bat Posts: 30
    Options
    I totally agree with the gum... and it helps to chew while working out too, so when you are done, you can chug water (that doesn't taste too bad with the gum after-taste) BUT will stil lhave enough of that gum flavor that you might not want to eat or drink something that has a flavor....
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    You have to change your way of thinking- that's what it's going to boil down. One thing that might help is to have a snack already prepared for post-workout. Pack it up, and take it to the gym with you.
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!
    No dice again.
    I think I should plan a truly excellent "desert" for after the gym. Like strawberries and ice cream, something like that. If I plan for it and budget the calories I'll do okay. I actually budgeted calories tonight and came in under my goal, but it's junk still. I'd feel better if I indulged with something that I could at least pretend had some nutritional value!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Eat a peanut butter sandwich after the gym to fill you up some. Have you tried eating yogurt? Yoplait is like a dessert for me. It has the calcium I need and helps to prevent infection too. Fresh or frozen strawberries are great.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    You can put the yoplait whips into the fridge and it's even more liek frozen yogurt!

My gym is so evilly located next to a Del Taco and a Weinerschnitzel which I LOVE. The french fry aroma just flies out at you when you exit the gym and it takes all my might to get in my vehicle and DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Please, Please Please dont chew gum while you workout, many people have chocked on it while they workout, escpeially if they start puffing. A fitness instructor choked and died by chewing gum while he was teaching a class.