1/2 Marathon training question

Options
I was a cross country runner in high school. I had 4 kids and now want to start running races again. I have been following a novice 1/2 marathon guide and last Saturday was up to 10 miles. I have been running my miles "cautiously" because I'm afraid of not being able to finish. On my 9th miles last Saturday, I all of a sudden got pain on the outer side of my foot by my toes. Do I need new shoes or is it a running form thing? I have never had that pain while running any other time.

Also, my 1/2 isn't until 9/22, but I would love to make it under 2 hours for my first one. Is that feasible?

Replies

• Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    So, my toes only ever hurt if I need to clip my toenails.

And under 2 hours could be feasible if you have experience. I couldn't do it, but that definitely doesn't mean you can't!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    If it was a one time pain you may have just landed wrong. I've hit the ground in weird ways and gotten strange foot pains but they don't reoccur after that. If it continues to happen, then getting a run evaluation and some new shoes would probably be a good idea. Just make sure to describe the pain clearly.

As far the time, if you're already up to 10 miles and the race isn't until Sept I'll bet you could clear two hours. I trained with a three month plan and was just under 2:05 for my first half marathon. My next one is labor day weekend and I'm hoping to break two hours on that one. My first was über hilly (San Francisco) and this one only has one minor hill, so I'm hoping that that alone will help my time. :)
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    How many miles are on your current pair of running shoes? They need to be replaced every 400- 600 miles.
  • N4monsters
    N4monsters Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have about 151 miles on this pair so far. It only happened on one foot but I'm kind of hesitant to run tomorrow...I'm still going to, but it was just weird.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    They're still good then. Sometimes we tweak something during a run. You need to worry if it doesn't heal in a few days, or is continually aggravated by more running.
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I wore Asics, super comfortable, good support for about the first 8 miles then I got that pain by the toes on the outside of my foot. It seems that the toe box in the shoe was not wide enough for my feet. Started wearing a NB in a larger width, no pain now at mile 16.
  • N4monsters
    N4monsters Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I wore Asics, super comfortable, good support for about the first 8 miles then I got that pain by the toes on the outside of my foot. It seems that the toe box in the shoe was not wide enough for my feet. Started wearing a NB in a larger width, no pain now at mile 16.

The pain happened again during the 8th mile and this time I had to stop for a little bit because the pain was too much at the time.

I have Asics right now and I may have to get new ones. I'm so sad because they're hot pink, but I think I have wide feet :/