Mid-section

Options
I carry a lot of my extra weight in my mid-section and was just wondering what else could help to reduce it apart from doing sit ups. Thanks =P

Replies

• Bxwarren13
    Bxwarren13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I find that cardio has helped banish that extra chub in my mid section and also standing ab workouts! Just doing situps has never worked for me, lol. In fact, I rarely do them but am still loosing inches by throwing in core workout DVD's by Jillian Michaels or Bob Harper.
  • ShemikaPerry
    Options
    Sit-ups or any ab exercises WILL NOT work unless you're doing cardio! Sit-ups will tone your muscles but you will never be able to see that toning until you burn the fat sitting on top of them. Just do alot of jogging, running or Eliptical training and you will see that belly fat disappear! Also, drinking alot of water will help.
  • sayuri1
    sayuri1 Posts: 111
    Options
    I don't like running much but I do need to do more cardio, thank you! =P
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    Also, unfortunately the weight we gain will go on in a certain order (it's different for all of us). So if we first gain fat around our organs, then stomach, then butt, then neck, then arms, then calfs, then chest, then our thighs. Then the weight will generally come off in that order too.
    So thighs, chest, calfs, arms, neck, butt, stomach, organs.
    it's genetic. As you can see, the potential is there for your midsection to be last in line. You just have to be patient, create your calorie deficit and wait. Cardio, strength, situps, whatever - it will all burn cals and help you create a deficit (and lean muscle helps to burn more energy) but there's no way to wish it off a certain area.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    I carry a lot of my extra weight in my mid-section and was just wondering what else could help to reduce it apart from doing sit ups. Thanks =P
    Can't spot reduce any area of the body with exercise. You'll lose it by staying on calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I find that cardio has helped banish that extra chub in my mid section and also standing ab workouts! Just doing situps has never worked for me, lol. In fact, I rarely do them but am still loosing inches by throwing in core workout DVD's by Jillian Michaels or Bob Harper.
    Though they help with conditioning the abs, direct exercising doesn't reduce size. It's calorie deficit. Cardio helps because it creates calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Sit-ups or any ab exercises WILL NOT work unless you're doing cardio! Sit-ups will tone your muscles but you will never be able to see that toning until you burn the fat sitting on top of them. Just do alot of jogging, running or Eliptical training and you will see that belly fat disappear! Also, drinking alot of water will help.
    You could do all the cardio, running etc. but IF you're not in calorie deficit, you won't lose the fat.

IDEA Fitness member