Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Hard Time Hitting My Calories

I was wondering if someone could help me out. I am never able to hit my calories as I am always afraid of going over on my sugar or other items. I am always falling way too short on my calories. I there any advice anyone can give to help me hit the marks I need to in order to lose the wieght I want to. If I eeat more fruit and vegtables in order to hit my calories is it alright to then go over on my sugar, fat, protien, etc. Please help as any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Take that sugar column out. Problem solved.

In all seriousness, sugar is not your enemy. Fruits and veggies provide a lot of micronutrients. Don't worry about it.
  • jensine2
    jensine2 Posts: 149 Member
    I'm sort of having the same issue. But eating more vegetables will not higher your sugar like fruit. But I'd rather go over on my sugar than not hit my calories because you can mess up your metabolism and that is worse. Hope you find more info on this. Good luck!
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    1 wouldnt go to crazy about sugar. i would just focus on overall calories, protein, fat, carbs. good luck
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I looked at a couple days of your diary, and I think your protein is way too low. The "Rule of Thumb" is to try and get 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, to try and maintain muscle mass while losing weight. Some people on here would argue for more than that even, but <75g protein daily is probably not enough for a man.

I would adjust my settings to 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat, and try to hit the protein and the fat goals. If you're under in carbs, don't worry about it. Also, you could use more fruit and veggies.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    MFP default values are a little... dumb. Reset your macros to 30% protein, and 20-30% fat depending on preferences, and rest carbohydrates. And forget about sugar tracking.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    It depends on your goal. Are you trying to lose weight or gain weight or just eat more healthy? The macro nutrients each have a certain caloric value per gram. Protein=4 calories/gram, Carbohydrates=4 calories/gram, and Fat=9 calories/gram. If you are trying to add calories without adding sugar, I would increase your fat intake. Eat a fatty meat.

There are many different strategies, and I think you have to work within the confines of the strategy you are employing. I happen to think sugar and carbohydrates in general are bad. In fact, I would venture to say that we've been taught to demonize fat, but it is actually a great source for nutrition. I try to get most of my calories from fat, but that is just my opinion.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Don't let that sugar column deter you from fruits and vegetables! The nutrients they provide are well worth it. Likewise, going over on protein is just fine. Healthy fats are important too. Complex carbs are great for fiber and in some cases can be a good source of protein, as well. If you are really struggling to get enough calories look for foods that are calorie dense, like olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, nut butters, avocados, etc.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    More nuts, nut butters....the sugar thing is a pain in the butt,
  • Cut the dew, pringles, pb pretzels,icecreams, chewys, 100 cal snacks and start eating real food.

It's likely you'll save some money too. Celery is a useless vegetable, it does nothing to satiate someone, it's basically like water. Start looking to add spinach, broccoli, cauliflower etc (all can be cooked or eating raw) but go easy on the dressings if you have to use them.

Add some more colorful veges too, that contain nutrients, like squash (all types), tomatoes, carrots, onions, brussel sprouts. Get creative.
    in lieu of a pringle snack, or a skinny cow icecream.
    Try a snack like this.
    Get some turkey bacon and cook. Cut into bite size pieces. Cut up some tomato into slices and spread with avocado. Add the bacon. Bam - delicious healthy satisfying BLT. (tomato is your cracker, but if you must, add a cracker).
    It's easy and just takes a small effort on your part.
    Make a simple salad, throw some spinach in a bowl, add some walnuts, splash of olive oil and vinegarette, maybe a chopped egg, some avocado and small cheery tomatoes. Put some cheese on it even. Crazy stuff.
    Anything you are eating that is in a box, and probably says low fat, is most likely higher in sugar than necessary (because they took all the flavor out).
    Even if changing your snacks and food choices doesn't help you hit your calories, you'll be eating better and you will feel the difference.

Look at a lower sugar version of PB too - Smuckers natural is one and isn't ridiculous price.