Best way to get lean?!

Options
Sam3622
Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
I feel my body is at the point now where i have lost enough fat to start gaining some serious muscle in my abs and my arms, but i'm not too sure exactly how much protein i should be taking. I currently eat around 70g of protein a day which includes protein shakes and bars as i'm not particularly crazy about meat. How much protein do you guys take to get really lean? And whats your protein - carbs - fat ratio?

Thank you!!

Replies

• siobhano_
    siobhano_ Posts: 101
    Options
    You'll wanna make your protein a hell of a lot higher and do strength training in order to get lean muscle
  • TiffyChick
    TiffyChick Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. That's almost all I see recommended on here when people are wanting to put on muscle/burn fat. Choose healthy choices, obviously. If you follow those ratio's and plug them into MFP it will figure the appropriate amount of protein for you. Just be SURE you're choosing enough daily calories and not under-eating. I get my protein through yogurt (regular and greek), protein powder (add it to oatmeal - yummy!), cheese, eggs, cottage cheese, veggie burgers, fish and chicken. I *rarely* eat red meat. My diary is viewable...feel free to check it out. : )
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    My macros are 50/25/25
    Do you know your body fat %? If you do calcualte your lean body mass here --- > http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lbm_calculator.htm
    and eat 1 gr of protein per lean body mass.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If you want to build muscle you need to eat at a minimum .8 grams of protein per lb of lean body man and take your diet from a deficit to a surplus to fuel the muscle growth. It is next to impossible to grow muscle tissue in a deficit and even more so for a woman without testosterone. If you keep you surplus low and strength train for a few months, you gain some muscle as well as some fat. Then, you can go back on the deficit to lose that fat, again a slight defcit so that you don't lose much of that lean muscle tissue you gained. It's called a bulk and cut cycle. Take a look at pregrams like New Rules of Lifting For Women, Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength.
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    Increase your protein and do pilates and/or pump classes
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    If you want to build muscle you need to eat at a minimum .8 grams of protein per lb of lean body man and take your diet from a deficit to a surplus to fuel the muscle growth. It is next to impossible to grow muscle tissue in a deficit and even more so for a woman without testosterone. If you keep you surplus low and strength train for a few months, you gain some muscle as well as some fat. Then, you can go back on the deficit to lose that fat, again a slight defcit so that you don't lose much of that lean muscle tissue you gained. It's called a bulk and cut cycle. Take a look at pregrams like New Rules of Lifting For Women, Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength.

Great answer from my friend.

Given your pictures, you seem to have a TDEE around 1600-1700 calories
    By eating around 2200 calories you would be able to grow slowly but surely muscles
    You could try the following macros repartition

Proteins 20%
    Fat 30 %
    Carbe 50 %

Under this amount, like mm said, possible but very slow process
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,016 Member
    Options
    That's easy. Committment and effort. Along with adequate protein, which is quite variable.