not sure what to eat?

Options
I'm desperately needing help.

I'm very strong mentally and i have around 40 pounds to lose and i'm going to do it the healthy way no matter how long it takes!
I actually am enjoying weight loss and though I haven't binged yet (i have in the past and it never really bugged me) but if you look at my profile, you'll see i'm pretty much always under my calorie goal. I DON'T DO THIS ON PURPOSE I simply just don't know what to eat.
A few days ago, i found myself eating boiled egg whites, steamed vegetables, and white chicken. It added up to about 200 calories or so.
Not very filling.
I actually got sad because of how little i was eating because in my home, we literally have almost no healthy food. (Being mentally strong helps, a lot, haha)

I ask a lot of my friends but i never get any responses.
I'm afraid that my lack of proper meals will prevent me from losing weight the right way.

Any support is greatly appreciated, thanks :)

P.S. just a list of things i should eat/shouldn't eat would be great, thanks!

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you recognise that 200 cals is a life- threateningly low amount to eat.

If you don't have access to healthy food choices then eat what is available but use your strength to just eat a moderate portion.
    But, I'm betting there are some good options you could eat - eggs are great, don't throw away the yolks, that's the most nutritious part. Are there beans, rice, spices, frozen veggies in the house? If so, google a recipe for beans and rice and add some veggies.
    Or cook some pasta and add in the chicken and steamed veggies (with a tin of tomatoes if you have them). Can you buy some healthier snacks - apples, almonds, cheese and crackers for example.

Eating well doesn't have to be complicated - eat what is available, go heavy on the veggies and fruit, make sure you get some carbs and protein too and you're good to go.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    The easiest criteria is to eat as many things in their natural state as possible. Fruits, vegetables, non-processed meats (so things like steak, pork chops, and chicken breast instead of deli meat and canned meat), whole grains. Buy as many things from the outside edges of the grocery store as you can, instead of the inner aisles. The processed food hangs out on the inside of the store. Try not to eat frozen, pre-packaged meals like Lean Cuisine -- in the freezer section, stick to vegetables and fruits, instead of entire meals. If yo'ure just starting out, I wouldn't try to go too strict with this just yet. Watch your calories, and introduce whole foods as often as you can. Maybe have some fruit or raw vegetables for a snack, and try to make one meal a day with mostly whole foods. Then work your way into eating more meals that way.

Since you asked for a shopping list, I'll give you one for some suggestions. But I'm also going to give you a challenge: next time you're at the grocery store, go to the produce section and buy at least one fruit or vegetable that you've never tried, and one new meat or fish from the butcher section. Then if you don't know how to prepare it, come home and look for recipes on allrecipes.com. Try this every time you go to the store. You'll find some AWESOME foods that way!

carrots
    green and red bell peppers
    sweet potatoes
    salad greens
    tomatoes
    zucchini
    onions
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    apples
    grapes
    bananas
    strawberries
    beef roast
    pork roast
    boneless, skinless chicken breast
    chicken leg/thigh quarters
    whole chicken (to be roasted or cooked in the crock pot)
    wild-caught salmon
    lean beef steaks
    shrimp
    whole-grain bread
    steel-cut oats
    brown rice
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about it being too damn complicated sometimes, I used to go for the 'lite' or 'low fat' stuff and wasnt losing any, now I've gone simple and only buy and eat stuff that I can see how it was made - so no pre-prepared meals, nothing thats obviously come out of a factory or been screwed-about with. So no more low fat spreads, no sweets, no crisps [chips].

Buy raw stuff. Cook it. Eat it. :smile:
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Just eat whatever you enjoy. As long as your under your calorie goal...its all good.