No more excuses, tips on putting your body FIRST

Options
Ladies, I hear it all the time from from my friends that they just don't have the time to workout. It must be one of the most commonly employed excuses used by those who don't make exercise a regular part of their daily schedule. Ironically, it is exercise and a healthy diet that enables increased health benefits, an overall sense of confidence and well being and a decrease in obesity related diseases.

We manage to schedule other activities such as car repairs, vacations, business meetings and other commitments, yet you don't make time for your most important priority: YOU! As a father, a full-time soldier, part time fitness instructor, I often hear, I don't know how you do it. Well, I am here to tell you how.

When you schedule your day, it is often overwhelming and filled with countless commitments and stress. You find that you've spread yourself so thin, that you come home at night and land in a heap.

Throw children into the mix and you've got a recipe for complete exhaustion. By making time for fitness each day, you can produce a much-needed lift to your energy level, attitude and overall sense of wellness, thus enabling you to become a better parent, spouse and happier person.

How do you find the time?You do not need to become a full time athlete. Most individuals new to fitness believe they must spend hours on end in the gym to get results. Not so. Spending just thirty minutes a day can reap a multitude of benefits.

You need to begin by taking a look at your schedule and deciding where you want to reserve your time slot. Take this appointment as seriously as you would a meeting with the mechanic or your doctor!
Take a good look at your daily schedule. Are there chores that can wait until the weekend? Do you find that you are sitting in front of the television for over an hour each night? Try recording your favorite program and watching it at a later time. Go to bed earlier and feel refreshed in the morning. Start getting out of bed forty-five minutes earlier and get your cardio in before the rat race starts. By using your time more efficiently, slots will begin to open in your schedule.

Ask for help! Majority of the excuses I hear is that children take most of my time. Ask a close friend you trust or your spouse to watch your children for an hour to allow you to workout. Explain them your goals and your commitment to living a healthier life. I know at the local YMCA in my area, babysitting is included in the price of a membership. This might be another option for you.

If you find that you just do not have time to make it to the gym, workout at home. Dust off that treadmill, put in your old Tae Bo tape, jump rope, go outside and play Frisbee or tag with your kids. Walk up and down the stairs or do butt squeezes while talking on the phone.

Utilize any season by shoveling the driveway or mowing the lawn with a push mower. You can also take the stairs, park far away from the mall or grocery store, or take a walk during your lunch break. The options are endless, just try to be creative. Every effort you make will continue to help and support your fitness resolve.

The better organized you are, the easier it will be to commit to your plan. Try to schedule your workouts for the same time each session and make them a priority. Soon, you will see that this commitment has become a refreshing escape.

Time and motivation go hand in hand. We all have priorities and what ever is most important to us often makes it to the top of the list. Start placing your workouts higher on your to-do list by using some of these motivation techniques.

Do you have more energy in the morning, mid day or evening for workouts? Play around with your schedule until you find the right fit. Do your cardio in the early morning before work and your weight training in the evening to break it up. This offers two shorter segments that can more easily fit into your day.

I find that I like to go to the gym directly from work because it's easier to follow through with than going home first. By packing my gym bag in the morning, you have made that commitment to yourself.

You do not need to stick with the traditional walk on the treadmill and weight training. Find activities that are interesting and exciting to you. This will keep your program fresh, retain your interest and keep your muscles continuously guessing. Join your clubs basketball or racquetball leagues or go walking on the beach. Our bodies quickly adapts to activities so it is always recommended to keep variety in your fitness program. Employ a certified personal trainer for a few sessions if you are new to fitness or just need a new perspective to add some excitement to your workouts.

You could also find an exercise partner with similar fitness goals. This is another way to ensure dedication to your fitness program because you made an obligation to meet that person each time at the gym. Make sure you are not there just to socialize and end up losing the effectiveness of your workouts. I have had the same work out partner now for 6 years.

Get a workout log book to track your progress. Many people could not live without their planners or palm pilots. Treat your workouts no differently.

Ultimately, your fitness goals are up to you. With a little creativity, organization and an open mind, you can manage to fit fitness in your life. The benefits are staggering and the overall physical and mental results will be positive for you and your loved ones. YOU are worth it!!!!!!!!!

References:
Sara Morkeen, Fitness model, Mother, Author

Replies

• lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    My family USED to think it strange that I would plan my whole day around when I could get to the gym and would tell them or others that I couldn't do such and such at those hours. Now, it's just a given. And they are actually surprised on days that I schedule NOT to go. Great info!
  • dixon5000
    dixon5000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thats great to hear. Yes, when making a life change and not planning a diet, people tend to help out a lot more. Always remember, a life change.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I work two jobs and have three children. I am also a gamer, jewelry designer, gardener, seamstress, and co-owner/administrator of a DV survivor support website as well as a gaming website.

I have always said I didn't have 'time' to exercise.

Guess what? I made time. None of that stuff above will matter if I'm not healthy. So, an hour a day for the gym/walk/swim/workout is doable if you really want the benefits badly enough.