lowest calorie meal from Chinese takeaway

Hey all

I know nothings going to be good for me, but we've been invited out and since this is a lifestyle change and not a diet I don't want to think that I'll never ever eat a takeaway again because frankly that's unrealistic. So whats the best thing to get? I hate sweet and sour but other than that I'm open to suggestions. I usually get something with king prawns and have a bit of boiled rice (1/3 of a tray) do you think that would be ok?

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Beef and broccoli with sauce on the side? I honestly don't know!
  • jacksamjack
    jacksamjack Posts: 146 Member
    I think king prawns are a good bet. I usually have a clear soup - prawn meat and sweetcorn. Basically though, this is a life-style change, so it is important to work "normal" eating into your routine!! Have a look at the calorie values for what you would like to eat - then work backwards for the day. You could plan to have maybe - vegetable sticks with cottage cheese for lunch and some fruit and yoghurt for breakfast with what you have left out of your daily calorie allowance?? Or go for a brisk walk for 30 mins to earn some extra calories. Compromise is the name of the winning game I feel!! Good luck and enjoy your chinese!! :flowerforyou:
  • juicyfruitkk
    juicyfruitkk Posts: 95 Member
    :smile: You can do chicken or shrimp and broccoli with steamed (not fried) brown rice and sauce on the side, that should keep it somewhat healthy (just watch portions).
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    I get steamed chicken and broccoli and they put the sauce on the side. You can have rice/ brown rice with it as well. I usually get an egg roll too... just because ;)
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    my bf is a huge chinese food fan so when i first started on here i ate it ALOT!!! from what i could find chicken and broccoli was the best option. low cals chicken for protein and a good veggie carb. i never ate the rice, if i was hungry i would ask for double chicken or broccoli instead of the rice when ordering. i also gave all the sides away (fortune cookie, eggroll) egg drop soup is also VERY low calorie

Have fun :smile:
  • sem41278
    sem41278 Posts: 89 Member
    I had Chinese last night too- chicken and brock and 2 cups listed as 580 cals. Wtf it was mostly broc! Why does it have to taste soooooo good?????
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    I just wish i knew a good way to count the bloody things, since the local places are not chains (and 2 of the 3 are buffets) there is no good way to even guess how many calories are involved.
  • JeanniebeanL79
    JeanniebeanL79 Posts: 96 Member
    I get steamed chicken and broccoli and they put the sauce on the side. You can have rice/ brown rice with it as well. I usually get an egg roll too... just because ;)

AGREED!!!! This is what I do too and it is yummy and filling! :-)
  • Some chinese places have "healthy" options where they don't cook it with oil. You could get steamed chicken and veggies or go with tofu/bean curd, so low cal and yummy and filling!
  • owlgoose
    owlgoose Posts: 25
    Thanks for the replies guys =) I loathe broccoli but would be happy with just chickens or prawns and a bit of sauce... its a far cry from the beef chow mein with noodles, egg fried rice AND chips that I would have ordered 5 weeks ago!
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    After seeing your post, I went to the food database and did some poking. If you like Chinese take-out, there is all sorts of things you can eat! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Just enter the word chinese on the search line.

Since you ARE making a lifestyle change and NOT going in a diet, keep in mind that you can actually eat anything you want to. As long as you plan ahead and, above all else, are in control. Last week, I had steak, a big taco, and a couple of cookies, and peanuts, ate ridiculously healthy, kept my fat and sodium in check and lost two pounds and enjoyed my tasty food! :blushing:
  • Go do some exercise if you know you're not going to be eating well, then you can enjoy your food without worrying :D going over by a couple of hundred calories on one day isn't going to make you gain weight, just eat healthy for the rest of the week and get more exercise! Enjoy!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    My family likes to order a bunch of stuff & share, which doesn't always include the healthiest options for me ......but no big deal ...... I take SMALL portions of a few things, and drink lots of water or tea ...... seems to work out ok ......

HAVE A GREAT TIME !
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Personally, I would have whatever you fancy, just make sure that you eat sensible-sized portions. If I order chinese, I tend to get an egg-fried rice and a chicken chow mein (simply because I can't ever decide whether to get something with rice or something with noodles) and eat half of each, then have the rest for dinner the next day.

Like someone else said, if you plan it in advance then you can make sure to eat fewer calories in the first half of the day or go do some exercise before dinner so that whatever you eat doesn't make you go too far over calories.
    As you say it is unrealistic to think you won't ever want to have a takeaway, and I think it's unrealistic to think you will want to give up the things that you used to order from that takeaway - just eat them in moderation and combine with exercise and less food for the rest of the day :)
  • mheightchew
    mheightchew Posts: 334
    I like the made to order grills that Chinese buffets have. I load up on veggies and an egg and throw in some chicken. I always choose one of the hot spices or sauces and they grill it all up for me. Yummy, now I want Chinese!
  • owlgoose
    owlgoose Posts: 25
    hey guys - I've got 910 calories left and am going to go for a walk so I don't think I should go over.. it's just so difficult to know whats in things!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    I'd just have one of the staff. The chinese are generally healthy people.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I would just get whatever I wanted but eat less of it lol.
  • gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    I'd just have one of the staff. The chinese are generally healthy people.
    *snort*
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    I had Chinese last night, I ate steamed shrimp with vegetables (no sauce) and did not eat the rice.