AM i obsessed?!?

Options
hey all...joined a couple of days ago...im gettin more serious bout exercising and losing weight...my parents say that im too obsessed and shall relax a bit...but wat on earth did they mean!?! I just cant lose weight without counting calories or exercising at least 30 mins everyday. Yesterday i felt horrible wen my best friend said that i am too obsessed. How do u kno if your not obsessed with counting these calories and doin exercises everyweek. Tell me if i am obsessed or not!! Im so confused!!!
thanks!!!

Replies

• kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    LOL... I know EXACTLY what you mean, but as long as you know your eating the right things, sticking to a healthy amount of cals.. exercising for 30+ most days then you have nothing to worry about..

I to am slightly addicted to MFP.. But i think a lot of people are.. Its what keeps a lot of us on track..

My friends worry about me to, howver my mum thinks its great.. cause she was always mentioning my aahhuuummm "large rear end" and so she's happy im doing something..

Maybe your friends are jelous? thats what i've been told before.. just because you are getting some control in your life they might see it as a threat?
    who knows.. the world is a weird and wonderful place... :frown:
  • yentasdoitbetter
    yentasdoitbetter Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    there's nothing wrong with being obsessed with it, especially in the beginning. for me, if im not slightly obsessed with it, then i wont stick strict. if i dont stick strict, it wont become habit.

before i eat anything, i put it in my food journal to see how many calories it is and if i should have it or not. if that's obsessed, then so be it!

last night i had trouble going to sleep cause i felt guilty i didnt work out. that's obsessed and i think there's nothing wrong with it. let it be an addiction cause its a PERFECTLY HEALTHY ONE! some people are addicted to drugs, your addicted to being healthy!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Of course you're obsessed, we all are!

Are you talking about it a lot? MFP this and calories in that and exercising here and there? If they're hearing a lot of this stuff that's where the "You're obsessed" thing is coming up.

You're new and it's exciting to finally gain control over your eating and your weight and it's probably your favorite topic right now. And that's fine, we all go through that.

Talk about something else once in a while and they'll relax.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Of course you're obsessed, we all are!

Are you talking about it a lot? MFP this and calories in that and exercising here and there? If they're hearing a lot of this stuff that's where the "You're obsessed" thing is coming up.

You're new and it's exciting to finally gain control over your eating and your weight and it's probably your favorite topic right now. And that's fine, we all go through that.

Talk about something else once in a while and they'll relax.

I completely agree with Casper! We're ALL obsessed! Though, I hear the word "anal" more from some of the people I know! I think I PREFER obsessed! :laugh:
  • trudance45
    trudance45 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    dont worry my bf says im obsessed as well :laugh:
    cause im always saying lets see how many calories in that
    and its true i have never even looked at it before
    but i wouldnt worry

xxx
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    The word is "commited" not "obsessed."

And I don't mean in the institutional kind of way ...:laugh:
  • Jnumber8
    Jnumber8 Posts: 2
    Options
    hey all...joined a couple of days ago...im gettin more serious bout exercising and losing weight...my parents say that im too obsessed and shall relax a bit...but wat on earth did they mean!?! I just cant lose weight without counting calories or exercising at least 30 mins everyday. Yesterday i felt horrible wen my best friend said that i am too obsessed. How do u kno if your not obsessed with counting these calories and doin exercises everyweek. Tell me if i am obsessed or not!! Im so confused!!!
    thanks!!!

STOP using the words "obsessed" and "addicted." You are developing a genuine concern and awareness of your personal health and fitness. When people express "concern" that you are becoming "obsessed," they are not expressing concern for you. They are expressing concern for themselves - concern that by you becoming fit and healthy, you will make them look bad by contrast. If someone says you are obsessed with this diet and exercise thing, you can reply that they must then be obsessed with continuing to be a fat pig. Of course, if it is a family member, you want to keep the peace, so you can say this to yourself silently. Everyone who breaks out of their usual way of doing things will encounter those who will, consciously or unconsciously, attempt to sabotage your efforts at becoming more healthy. They may even genuinely believe that they are looking out for your best interests by expressing concern for this new "obsession" you've developed. Were they just as concerned when you were obsessed with cheeseburgers, pepperoni pizza, chocolate ice cream and being sedentary, inactive and fat, killing yourself slowly by making yourself more vulnerable to all the problems that go along with being overweight and not exercising? Ignore such people. Say "Nope - not obsessed with anything. Simply going to be healthy and fit." When you start looking like a million bucks, they will start wanting some of that obsession. If, after you are fit and healthy, anyone sincerely expresses that they like you the way you were before, then they do not truly have your best interests in mind. Would they prefer you be overweight and unhealthy? Examine from whom such comments come. If they come from someone who is overweight, unfit and unhealthy, they are simply comments from people who are trying to make THEMSELVES feel not so bad because THEY are not doing the same thing. Hang in there. You are not obsessed or addicted to anything. PLEASE cease using those words. Keep being healthy and you'll be surprised how envious all those people become.

Peace,

Jon
  • rndalsn
    rndalsn Posts: 26
    Options
    Committed! That's right! That's a much better word. Please do not let these people affect you. I get the same thing, but I think it's because I talk about it alot!! And I talk about it a lot because I'm passionate about what I'm trying to do, but I think the people in our lives really just get tired of always hearing about it. I think sometimes it makes them aware of how "bad" they are eating and they're just not ready to hear it. So maybe you shouldn't talk about it quite as much, but still keep it up. It's a great feeling being in control of your body! You can do this. It works!!! Stay motivated! :happy:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    rndalsn, YES, COMMITTED!!!!!! That is the right word. And Jon, you nailed it with your comment. I did too get those comments, even from my husband!!! You are not doing anything wrong. You are actually doing what experts recommend. You are taking control of your health, exercising, eating healthy, monitoring your intake. Keep your head up!! They will want to catch up with you soon, you will see. :flowerforyou:
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I feel that you (and I....and just about everyone else on this site) is DEF suffering from an obsession, A HEALTHY ONE!!!!! For the average Joe, counting calories so meticulously and tracking all calories burned most definitely looks obsessive. But you obviously haven't been successful any other way (I know I wasn't!) so if this is what you have to do THEN BY ALL MEANS DO IT! When those pounds start flying off and you start looking better than those ridiculing you be prepared to send them a link to this site because their gonna want what you got!
  • samantha115
    samantha115 Posts: 371
    Options
    dont worry my bf says im obsessed as well :laugh:
    cause im always saying lets see how many calories in that
    and its true i have never even looked at it before
    but i wouldnt worry

xxx

I do that all the time.:laugh: I like to compare what I eat now to to what I use to eat. I also feel guilty when i dont workout. Like I didnt get up early enough to do it so I guess Ill go do it now, well before I go to work.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    MY commitment is also good for my kids. They are learning serving sizes now while what they eat isn't a huge deal. They can still have candy, but they know without even asking that it doesn't mean the whole package, it means whatever one serving size is. Where they used to gobble the whole thing down, now sometimes they only eat half of their serving size so they can have some later. It's not a feast or famine. It's a learning process. Keep on learning...
  • Stunner
    Stunner Posts: 20
    Options
    thanks guys for all the posts...was surprised to find thousands of them after few hours.....you all are very supporting :)
  • Stunner
    Stunner Posts: 20
    Options
    P.S. " COMMITTED" is the perfect word!!! "OBSESSED" is rubbish! Lets all be COMMITTED!!! haha
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I get that too and it sounds like a lot of people do. I like the word committed-we have to be or we won't succeed. Keep up the hard work.