Livestrong vs MFP and Calories Given

Options
So I've been here for three different purposes:
1. To lose weight
then
2. To gain, after I lost way too much and I forgot how terribly fast my metabolism is
and now
3. To maintain this weight cuz I like how I look

So question is, at Livestrong I get way more calories to eat than here...even though I enter the same info. Same height, weight, activity level etc. I got a whopping 2149 when I wanted to gain. Now I'm getting 1993 to maintain over there and 1770 here.
So forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question, but why?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    livestrong is to much of a content farm for me to look at it, by using a different formula for BMR it is easy to get a 100 or 200 difference - the predictions aren't that accurate and should be viewed as +/- 100 calories per day.

You'll find out your maintenance easy enough by monitoring what you eat and what you weigh.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Yeah that site is just too something. I'm good at 1900-2100. Its just such a difference and I think for someone trying to lose weight it may prove to be an obstacle.
    Thanks though:smile:
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I started on Livestrong and still log my foods there everyday. I'm not overly excited with the forums and like MFP a whole lot better. I wish I had started on MFP, but after 18 months, I'm not going to switch. I feel LS has a better database for foods though.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I haven't used Livestrong, but maybe they're not using NET calories. On here, your exercise doesn't count toward your calorie goal until you log it. Assuming a half hour of daily exercise would easily make your 1770 here closer to 2000.