Anyone doing New Rules of Lifting?

Options
I have some questions and I wanted to find others who are doing or who have done this program. Note I'm not talking about the one for women. Although I wish I was since they have a very active group compared to this one.

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Im curious about this as well. Im three weeks in with heavy lifting and pushing myself to the maximum. Ive actually been interested in reading those books as well..

so consider this bumped for later viewing! 8-)
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I did all the programs in NROL about six years ago, and just a few months ago revisited the fat loss programs. I've done all the NROL books and I'm getting ready to do the latest...NROL for Life. I used to be a regular in the JP fitness forum as well (referenced as the place to go to discuss the workouts in the book) so I should be able to help!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I did all the programs in NROL about six years ago, and just a few months ago revisited the fat loss programs. I've done all the NROL books and I'm getting ready to do the latest...NROL for Life. I used to be a regular in the JP fitness forum as well (referenced as the place to go to discuss the workouts in the book) so I should be able to help!

Well my first question is did u choose one of the four suggested programs or did u just move from one stage to the next? I'm trying to decide if I should choose one of those hypothetical persons that best sound like me or work from break in to fat loss 1, fat loss 2, all the way through, which would be SO long.

Also, what were your results like?
  • kazzari
    Options
    Well, I wanted the whole experience, so I believe I followed it in the order the book laid out. That may or may not have been ideal...either way you're going to get great results. My body changed dramatically as I worked my way through the program. Everyone at the gym noticed and commented and I had a group of women who wanted to know what I was doing. Pretty soon we had taken over the weight room at 5:00 a.m. I owe my transformation from frumpy 40 something post-kids body to contemplating figure competition to this program. I literally have a hotter body now than I did in my twenties. I decided against figure competition because then you really have to start doing a lot of isolation work, which didn't interest me, and I'd known of someone who did it and it messed them up mentally when they couldn't maintain that competition physique. It didn't seem like a healthy path. Well, you didn't ask for all that! But however you approach it, if you stick to the parameters of the workouts, I think you'll be very pleased.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Oh thanks so much! I'm definitely going to put my all into this program then. One last (maybe) question...how was your eating? Would you say you ate clean 100% of the time, or maybe 80%? My diet has always been the thing to fail me, I've been doing P90X and I'm much stronger than when I started. But the physical results have been less than stellar because I cannot resist sweets.
  • kazzari
    Options
    I ate pretty clean...if you shoot for 90% compliance you'll see awesome results. I probably wasn't that perfect, but I was pretty meticulous about logging every bite. You can do it!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I was looking into getting this book but then some of the reviews were that if you don't have access to a gym it was difficult to do at home. I don't have a gym membership and I do all my workouts at home, is this true, or can it be adapted to home workouts?
  • kazzari
    Options
    I was looking into getting this book but then some of the reviews were that if you don't have access to a gym it was difficult to do at home. I don't have a gym membership and I do all my workouts at home, is this true, or can it be adapted to home workouts?

Do you have a home gym like a squat rack and bench? If not, you probably wouldn't be able to do it. It is basic weight lifting that requires gym equipment.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options

Do you have a home gym like a squat rack and bench? If not, you probably wouldn't be able to do it. It is basic weight lifting that requires gym equipment.

Nope none of that, just dumbells. Okay, thanks for the information.