WRONG INFO ON FOODS!!!!!!

mszSHOGAN
mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,277 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Good morning all! :smile:

I eat oatmeal everyday and recently bought a new kind - Quaker Weight Control. This morning I went to add it to my diary and found it in the library and added it to my meal. After I did so I realized it showed a wrong amount for the grams of sugar and was listed as having 4g but the package says its only 1g. On the box, the line ABOVE is 4g so it was a mistake by the person entering....BUT STILL!!! Thats 3g of sugar I can't give up! :grumble:

Moral of the story: Double check foods entered by another individual before you add them to your diary because everyone makes mistakes (including me)! For someone who is very rigid with their counting (like myself) this could really make a difference to your day.

That is all!
P.S. TOMORROW IS FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: (he's toasting you with water, BTW)

Replies

• Good morning!
    Yeah, I noticed an exact brand of protein shake I put in was 20 cals less than the packaging said, and later, a restaraunt salad was 40 cals less than the restaraunt website was. Do you know if there is any way to adjust the numbers without creating a whole new food entry into the database library? Im pretty strict on counting too!:drinker:
    Thanks,
    Jennifer
  • PS: My little guy definately needs his coffee! But water is good to toast with too!:drinker: LOL
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    You can edit the amounts as long as it was a food that was entered by a member (will have the * next to it). When you click on the food and see the "add to your meal" info on the left, you can click on nutritional value to see the info before you add it to your meal. It will ask you if it is correct or not...if it is, please click yes....the more people that confirm it is right, the more confident we can be that the food is correct if we don't have the info ourselves.

If not, click no and you can change the incorrect things.....wait about 5-10 minutes before going back in to see the changes taken place. When you search for that food, the one you just changed should be the first one on the list so it's easier to find so you can make sure it's right now and then add it to your meal.
  • When you're adding a food to a meal and you see the right one in the list, click on it and on the right hand side where you choose serving size, click "nutrition info" and a box will pop up. In that box it shows the nutrition info and says on the right side "Is this info correct?" and you can click yes, no, or I don't know. If you click "no", it gives you an option to edit it. Ya'll PLEASE do this! Let's ALL help eachother out with accurate info! Thanks!
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    I noticed that when a piece of Italian bread came up as having something like 4 calories. I pay closer attention now. :tongue:

exercise.png
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    I check EVERYTHING i add, if i haven't added it myself already, you can't be too sure, also i have noticed that Canadain food labels have different info thatAmerican as well, so you have to be carefull with that too. I am quite "anal" about the foods being correct.
  • steph54
    steph54 Posts: 28
    I learn something new every day on this website. I tried changing the info, but when I added it to my food list, the original info was still there. I didn't know you had to wait a few minutes. Thanks!
  • Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely keep an eye on things.
    BTW - it there a way to delete duplicates?
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    You're right ... I did notice that some of the entered data is incorrect ... I didn't know that we could edit it. Good to know ... but keep in mind that there is very often a difference between the Canadian and American products (and most likely other countries too). If ever I enter something I will add (Canada) to the description so people know it's the Canadian stats.
  • CMJ1979
    CMJ1979 Posts: 42
    Why are the amounts different for Canada and the US, that is soo stupid. If I eat KD here in Canada, and you eat it in the US it should be the exact same thing for the nutritional information.:grumble:
  • hkuiuc99
    hkuiuc99 Posts: 79 Member
    I have been trying to confirm entries that I see are accurate so we can have more confidence...I have only seen one mistake but I guess I don't look at them every time! I will start from now on!
  • I have been trying to confirm entries that I see are accurate so we can have more confidence...I have only seen one mistake but I guess I don't look at them every time! I will start from now on!

I would say 75% of the foods I select have the correct info. But if we're all checking, I bet we can get that up to 95%! Thanks everybody for making MFP more reliable!!! :drinker:
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    darn..so if it says it only has 4 calories and it really doesnt does that still count as 4 calories eaten? or do i have to admit to those 400 cals eaten?? :laugh: :laugh: jk
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    I suggest you check the stats on any new food you're adding to your list for the first time. I've seen several incidents where people were only tracking the calories apparently, so that is all they entered for the nutritional stats. This will throw off your fat, carbs, sugars, protein...whatever you are tracking besides just calories.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    I won't add anything unless I get it off the's product's bottle, or off their website. I love the database here. but there are a lot of differences in calories, and such.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    The other thing is the serving size. Sometimes people put in "one serving" or a "package" with no indication of how big that serving is. I would like it people could be more thorough here, and even put in the grams ( eg 2 pieces (24g))

Thanks everyone!! This is a great place to get healthy! :flowerforyou:
  • Mom_To_5
    I won't add anything unless I get it off the's product's bottle, or off their website. I love the database here. but there are a lot of differences in calories, and such.

I'm like that too!
  • Mom_To_5
    You're right ... I did notice that some of the entered data is incorrect ... I didn't know that we could edit it. Good to know ... but keep in mind that there is very often a difference between the Canadian and American products (and most likely other countries too). If ever I enter something I will add (Canada) to the description so people know it's the Canadian stats.

I do the same!!
  • Mom_To_5
    The other thing is the serving size. Sometimes people put in "one serving" or a "package" with no indication of how big that serving is. I would like it people could be more thorough here, and even put in the grams ( eg 2 pieces (24g))

Thanks everyone!! This is a great place to get healthy! :flowerforyou:

I so agree with you on that!!

I always ouot in 3 crackers (19g) or whatever it may be, as i always wieght things and don't go by 3 etc....
This discussion has been closed.