Counting Tea as water?

2»

Replies

• SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    I count my tea as long as it's decaffeinated and doesn't have anything else in it. I don't count my caffeinated ones since caffeine is a diuretic.

If you drink a lot of tea, your body becomes used to the caffiene and it no longer works like that. Coffee, however has too much caffiene in it for this to apply.
  • I count my tea as long as it's decaffeinated and doesn't have anything else in it. I don't count my caffeinated ones since caffeine is a diuretic.

I do this too, actually. I know the caffeine is probably not THAT dehydrating, but if there's caffeine in the drink, I don't count it. If it's water with something non-caloric (or less than 10) to flavor it, like herbal tea or crystal lite, then I count it as water.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    I count my tea as long as it's decaffeinated and doesn't have anything else in it. I don't count my caffeinated ones since caffeine is a diuretic.

I do this too, actually. I know the caffeine is probably not THAT dehydrating, but if there's caffeine in the drink, I don't count it. If it's water with something non-caloric (or less than 10) to flavor it, like herbal tea or crystal lite, then I count it as water.

Actually, from what the rubber band trick says:

Put 8 rubber bands on your left wrist.
    For every 8oz glass of water you drink, move 1 rubber band to your right wrist
    If you drink something with caffeine, take 1 rubber band from your right wrist and put it BACK on your left wrist
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Count it, don't count it. Doesn't really matter. The only thing that matters is that you are drinking enough (of whatever) to stay hydrated. You'll know because your pee will be a very light yellow colour or clear. Don't get hung up on a number
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    It is all about pee color. What drinks count/don't count, how many ounces of water you drink, etc. are all irrelevant. Details are in this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/857659-the-definitive-how-much-water-do-i-really-need-thread?hl=Definitive+water+thread#posts-13032126
  • I've always been advised by my doctor that tea can be counted as water. Good for you for adding green tea. It has some great health benefits without having to worry about extra calories.
  • I usually count tea as water. I make sure to track what I put in it lol.

I do make sure to track Crystal Light and stuff that I put in water. They're usually 5 -10 cals each....it adds up!
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    The only thing that counts as water is....water.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Coffee, soda, and tea all count as water. Also, you don't need to force yourself to drink a set amount. Drink if you're thirsty.

I have to completely disagree with your last 2 sentences. Your body is made up of 60% water and every system in your body depends on water. Water flushes toxins out of vital organs and carries nutrients to your cells. Lack of water brings on dehydration. Being "thirsty" is the result of already to dehydrate and even mild dehydration can drain your energy and make you tired.

OP - Focus on your urine color. It should be clear to "lemonade" color.