What to do with homemade spicy jalapeno chilli pepper pasta

Options
uprightashley
uprightashley Posts: 39 Member
So I bought some homemade fresh pasta at our local farmers market from a local chef. The 5oz container's ingredients are:

All natural whole wheat flour
all purpose flour
malted barley flour
niacin
iron
thiamin mononitrate
ribofavin
folic acid
whole eggs
water,
extra virgin olive oil
and jalapeno chili powder

So I have no idea of figuring out how many calories are in this. Or what to pur with this that would keep it low cal. I also bought squash and zuchinni. I have spinach in the freezer. I also have a couple chicken breasts. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Milette812
    Milette812 Posts: 32
    Options
    Go back and ask the chef if he can either tell you what the measurements for the ingrediants are for about an oz. of pasta is or if he can add up the calorie count for you(he is a chef, they know how to do that.) and you should be able to calculate it from there. Also, most pasta is made the same, since he is using whole eggs it would probably be considered an egg noodle so just look at pasta packages at your store, see which ones have similar ingrediants and that should give you ballpark what the calorie count is. If your concerned about the calories in the jalapeno chili powder, don't, it would add a trivial amount.

Recipe suggestions:
    Pasta Florentine: Thaw, rinse, and squeeze/pat dry the spinach. Cook pasta to al dente then toss into a saute pan with some olive oil, fresh garlic, fresh basil, halved cherry tomatoes, and spinach. Saute and cook until warmed through and tomatoes are at desired consistancy. Grill chicken, chop, and add to make Chicken Pasta Florentine. (You could also add the squash and zuchinni if you wish.)

Spinach Squash Boats: Cut zuchinni and squash length wise. Scoop out most of insides into a bowl. Mix with spinach that has been thawed, rinsed, and squeezed/patted dry. Spoon mixture into Squash "boats" and top with a little bit of your favorite cheese. Bake at 350 until squash is cooked and cheese is bubbly and a little browned. (whatever doneness you prefer!)

Squash "lasagna": Slice both squashes length wise with a mandolin. Do the same with some onion and tomatoes. Alternate layers starting with squash, tomato,and onion while adding your own blend of fresh herbs and such. Sprinkle the top with a little cheese, bake until done.

Obviously the recipes are loose cause you can use just about anything to put together your own creation.
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I would have a look on a couple restaurant websites for a pasta that looks similar and use that calorie info. But as far as what to do with it, I would definitely say...eat it.
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    www.flourcitypasta.com Check this out, I know they have a similar spicy pasta and they have all of their recipes up for free, plus nutritional ingredients. Maybe this will help!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Just remember that most pasta is sold dry, and the nutrition facts reflect the dry weight.