Ladies lifting Routines?

Options
mrs_kurz
mrs_kurz Posts: 185 Member
Hi Girls!! So after all the impressive before/afters of lifting, I've decided to give it a proper go! Could you all tell me what you lift, what exercises you do, how heavy you lift and what cardio you do? Prefereably Ab routines too!

Thanks and love!

Replies

• lucylou9701
    lucylou9701 Posts: 194
    Options
    bump*
  • CountDown321
    CountDown321 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I do Starting Strength: For a bit of information you can check the wiki, however I would also recommend the book. http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

Day 1 :Squats, Bench Press and Dead lifts
    Day 2: Rest/Cardio (I do spin, but it can be hard on various leg muscles which impacts your squats)
    Day 3: Squats, Overhead barbell press, Bent over rows (Pendlay rows.)
    Day 4: Rest/Cardio
    Day 5: Repeat day 1
    Day 6: Rest/Cardio
    Day 7: Mandatory Rest
    Day 8: Repeat day 2
    Day 9: Rest/Cardio
    Day 10: Repeat day 1

Etc. I've been doing the lifting for about 4 weeks.

I started squatting 45 (Olympic bar weight) and today I hit 95.
    I started Benching 45 and I did 55 today, 60 next time.
    I started Deadlifts at 90, hit 135 today.
    I started Overhead Barbell Press at 30, did 45 last time.
    I started Rows at 45, and have done 65. This one is easy to hurt your lower back on with bad form so take it easy here.
  • mamato2babes
    Options
    bump
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I do the routines from 'the new rules of weightlifting for women'. It is a fantastic book that has about 6 months of progressive weight lifting routines and descriptions on how to do each one of them. I highly recommend it!
  • callmecaptain
    Options
    Butt Bible, start there then if you want to build more muscle than add more weight, little guess work and tones great
  • callmecaptain
    Options
    Butt Bible, start there then if you want to build more muscle than add more weight, little guess work and tones great

Or hit a gym that has a circuit training area and just set your weights, more reps less weight tones and gives you lean muscle, heavier weight and less reps bulks
  • CountDown321
    CountDown321 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    heavier weight and less reps bulks

This is simply not true for women. Heavier weight and less reps builds actual strength. No strength training for women will make you bulky unless you add some T and do excessive amounts of training and protein.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

I am on month 2 now. I am really enjoying it!
  • lilyvale68
    lilyvale68 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    A friend and I are starting Jamie Eason's LiveFit 12 week trainer tomorrow. You can find it at www.bodybuilding.com. Anyone else do this one? Did you like it?
  • lotushead
    lotushead Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    I wind up using the machines because I go to the gym at 4am now and my gym buddies are not there to spot me.

I do the 5x5 lifting after cardio. Cardio for me is the elliptical and recumbant bike. When I work my abs, I also do mat work with pilates stuff like 100's.

Then I spend about 15-20 minutes stretching everything I just worked out
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I am going to start a routine that I found in a bodybuilding.com forum... it's a series of 7 exercises all using barbells. squats, bench presses, bent over rows, deadlifts, overhead press, barbell curls and calf raises... it's more complicated than that but you can read about it if you want.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5. There are 5 exercises, split into two routines:

Workout 1
    Squats
    Bench Press
    Bent over rows (or Pendlay rows)*

Workout 2
    Squats
    Overhead press
    Deadlift

All of these exercises will work your abs as well as what they target, and all of them target multiple muscle groups.

In the first couple of weeks, I felt like I could do more, and would do some planks, push-ups, cable wood chops.

Now, the workouts are getting intense, and I'm usually too tired for anything else. I want to add Turkish get-ups and assisted pull ups in sometime soon, though.

I walk or swim on my non-lift days.
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I started ChaLEAN Extreme a few weeks ago.