Subway Sandwiches

Options
2»

Replies

• keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I dont mean to hijack the thread but...
    How do you log Subway sandwiches when they get made in front of you but not by you? I have been wanting to try it forever but I feel like it would be a lot of guesswork when logging. Thoughts?

i know the one i go to they usually put the same amount of everything on the sandwich each time, so i use their website to add my own stuff to the sandwich i get to see what the calories are. you could always quick add those calories here, but you wouldn't be able to track any of the other values. if it is a basic sandwich like veggie delite with all veggies, you can prolly type that in the food list here and it would pop up. if you get something really random that may be harder to find on the food list here.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Subway is by far the best option for "fast food" or Pita places cuz yo ucan get all the veggies you want and its not fried... you can usually get a 6inch for 300 cals depending on the meat, which is better than a McDonalds meal lol....I don't go often cuz I'm cheap but I don't "diss" it either...
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I'd rather get a 450 calorie subway sandwhich MEAL than a 1,000 calorie hamburger. Simple as that.

You can get a hamburger meal for around 450 calories.. just gotta get creative and have half the bun, not eat all the fries and choose a sensible drink.

In my mind, half a bun and half the fries doesn't equate to a full meal. Sure, if you halved everything from your hamburger meal to equate it to a full subway meal, go for it... personally, that just isn't satisfying and is barely considered an adequate meal. Just my opinion. But yeah, you could have a hamburger SNACK for 450 calories. lol
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    How do you log Subway sandwiches when they get made in front of you but not by you? I have been wanting to try it forever but I feel like it would be a lot of guesswork when logging. Thoughts?

Some of the restaurants yo ucan "make" your sandwich online I think Subway has that and it gives u the nutrition content...but that still doesnt control how much sauce gets put on....and little things that add up so its pretty much a close estimate
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I are eating a lot more Subway these days. One recently opened up by our place which helps! We eat them probably once a week for a quick dinner.

While I do consider them fast food they are healthier fast food. Now, they are still loaded with sodium for the most part but still MUCh healthier than other options.

I like how you make them as healthy (or unhealthy) as you want to. I also get the veggie sub, no cheese, tons of veggies and little sauce. Very healthy and filling "fast food" dinner. Our usuals were McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's Dominos Pizza so this is a much better alternative. They can be very healthy meals in a pinch.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I would rather eat a veggie sub on whole wheat any day over a deep fried, pre made fast food meal. I don't eat subway often, but when I really don't want to cook, I go there.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Jill_newimprovedversion Posts: 988 Member
    Options

Some of the restaurants yo ucan "make" your sandwich online I think Subway has that and it gives u the nutrition content...but that still doesnt control how much sauce gets put on....and little things that add up so its pretty much a close estimate

>still doesnt control how much sauce gets put on>

SIMPLE SOLUTION to this: ask for it on the side- you can gauge exactly how much you add.
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options

On the subway website you can find all the nutritional content for exactly how you make your sandwich. Since I get the same thing anytime I go there I just add it to the database and I would label it with my name (ieSubway-Stephanie's 6" turkey on flatbread). Then anytime you eat there you can just add the sandwich and have complete nutrition info without having to type everything in everytime.

And as far as the popularity of Subway for those trying to lose weight I think it is mostly because of Subway's marketing it as a healthier fast food. You can find healthy options at pretty much any fast food place as they all have some type of salad and grilled chicken options. I only eat Subway on rare occassions because I still end up eating more calories than if I had made a meal at home, and while pregnant I learned about all of the unhealthy additives in deli meat.
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    E. g. Taco bell got busted here because to call something "beef" here, it must contain at least 28% (IIRC) beef, and theirs was something like 7% beef (the rest is fillers, "pink slime", refuse, etc. to save money). It's kinda ludicrous.

No, you don't recall correctly. Taco Bell was not "busted," they were sued. The suit claimed that in order to be called beef, USDA standards say it must be 40% beef and that Taco Bell was only 35% beef. The lawyer who submitted the lawsuit, who claimed he had a private lab do the tests, refused to provide the results of the test and then withdrew the lawsuit 3 months later.

That's what 2 minutes on Snopes and 3 minutes on Google yield.

As for Subway, I hardly ever eat there. All their sandwiches taste the same to me and it's easier for me to pack my own lunch.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    People are lazy-- bottom line.

Those huge bread slices will put you over for carbs and calories unless you restrict the rest of the day and or planned ahead and worked out to plan for a larger calorie intake. I've also heard they are very high in sodium, like all cold cuts. I imagine people don't bother to read the fine print on the calorie and fat amounts that those numbers are BEFORE any cheese, mayo, dressing, oil, etc.
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I usually always take my lunch with me to work, though it is a processed frozen meal (Eating Right, Lean Cuisine, Weight Watchers etc) and a salad and a few snacks to get me through, but sometimes I'm just too lazy to make everything up in the morning. When I go to Subway I almost always get a Veggie Delight on 9 Grain Wheat bread with light mayo/mustard. I figure a sandwhich full of vegetables is way better than going across the street to Burger King and getting a Double Whopper with cheese and a large fry (which would have been my old choice). So, yes Subway may be considered a fast food restaurant, it is stil a MUCH HEALTHIER option when it comes to food on the go.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Subway is a good fast food option if you're on the go, but you certainly don't want to make it an every day thing unless you are paying VERY close attention to what you're getting. The meats a packed with sodium, and the some of the "healthier" options are terrible for you. The tuna is one of the worst sandwiches you can get there.
    Subway is one of those places with a lot of good intentions, but a lot of hidden fat!

I personally prefer a hometown deli. Fresher ingredients and the workers can usually tell you where everything comes from. Plus, the bread tastes better! I find it funny that Subway prides themselves on their baked-fresh bread and most of the time it's so dry, almost stale tasting. (don't know if that's common throughout all Subways or just the one's in my area...)
  • emmamcblain
    emmamcblain Posts: 342
    Options
    I'd rather get a 450 calorie subway sandwhich MEAL than a 1,000 calorie hamburger. Simple as that.

This.

Plus, I'm a sucker for Subway. Love it so much. :sad:
  • stormdancer
    stormdancer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My health club actually has a Subway sandwich shop in it, I like Subway. Of course, I only ever have the turkey breast.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of them, especially during the school year, because they're easy. I can buy a foot-long, have half for lunch, the other half for dinner, and load it all up with enough veggies to keep me happy. I don't like the processed meats, so I usually get a vegetarian or tuna without cheese. And I have to say, getting a foot-long with 1,000 calories and using that for lunch and dinner is a lot better option than a lot of other fast food choices.
  • nickyskins
    nickyskins Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Its just easy if u need to grab a fast bite to eat. Better then burgerking or wendys.
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    U can choose your own ingredients so yes it can be healthy.
    I do love subway. Have one like once every 3 months.
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    When I went on this lifestyle change journey I gave up all most all processed foods..(I still eat cheese) and limit my sodium. That meant no more Subway! I make my food and bring my lunch every day but I have the luxury of being able to do that and a lot of people dont.

Subway is better than a lot and you make it as healthy as you want too..
    Having a normal weight or body composition is about moderation.
    I could eat there if I had a veggie sub or salad but i just choose not to buy lunch but to bring it.
    Mainly because once I start going out for lunch I will have a hard time just eating the healthy stuff!!
  • OhKelsey1
    OhKelsey1 Posts: 139
    Options
    I used to think Subway was a pretty healthy option, and I do sitll think it's better than grabbing a burger from McDonald's. However, I recently had the realization that their multi-grain bread isn't that healthy at all. I don't know if everyone knew this, or if most people are taken in like I was, but multi-grain is a kind of trick keyword to get people thinking something's healthy when it might not be. Multi-grain essentially means some good grains and some refined grains, which is what you think you're staying away from by choosing the brown bread. This feels way too much like trickery to me, and it definitely got me off my subway kick.
  • karencogs
    karencogs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Sounds so Good but we don't have any around here..How about Wawa??