Dinner idea's for the whole family??

Options
ExplorinLauren
ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
I've changed my diet around 100%.... in doing so the whole family is eating so much better.... No fast food, or ordering pizzas, I don't fry anything anymore, or bake lasagnas and meatloaf and such.... I love this!
Problem is I'm kind of running out of things to make. lol I usually grill steak ( sirloin,lean, no visible fat) or chicken (for wraps and such) occasionally a pork or turkey chop. Always with salad, or red potatoes, or steamed veggies..... no more box things like mac n cheese or anything like that....
I don't know how long I can keep feeding the whole family the same dinners over and over without them killing me lol....
So any recipe ideas would be great. :o)

Replies

• ExplorinLauren
    Options
    bump
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It's funny you mentioned lasagna because that's what I made for dinner tonight. I don't think any foods are really off limits as long as you make them as lean as possible and eat in moderation. I had one piece of lasagna and enjoyed it, along with a big serving of steamed broccoli. I also take out pizza and eat fast food once in a while. So far it's all working and I'm not deprived. Still losing!
  • EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have always made large soups for our family...some, i think, are pretty healthy....i haven't figured the calorie count in them yet....in the next couple of days i am going to make my mushroom soup...i'll get the calorie count on it and share it with you.
    Other soups i make:
    Chicken Tortilla
    Cabbage and Sausage
    Italian Wedding
    Beef Stew
    I can't think of any more at the moment...but i make soups alot and chili.
    We do alot of fried rice dishes and stir-fry's too...they are filled with alot of vegetables mostly.
    If any of these sounds good holler at me.
    San :)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I made homemade Hamburger Helper the other day. I used ground meat and Dreamfield's macaroni. I made my own seasoning packet of garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, seasoned salt (you can add anything you want) and grated fresh cheese. It came out great and it was delicious. No preservatives, no junk.
  • Royaltvii
    Royaltvii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I make lasagna with zucchini, I make spaghetti with whole grain pasta or spaghetti squash, tacos, enchiladas, lots of casseroles, and meatloaf I still make the normal way but with 40 calorie and just watch how much . I just watch my portions.
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You may consider it too processed, but my family enjoys chicken sausages, usually with a side of rice or noodles and steamed veggies.
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    It's funny you mentioned lasagna because that's what I made for dinner tonight. I don't think any foods are really off limits as long as you make them as lean as possible and eat in moderation. I had one piece of lasagna and enjoyed it, along with a big serving of steamed broccoli. I also take out pizza and eat fast food once in a while. So far it's all working and I'm not deprived. Still losing!

I agree with you... I've been modifying alot of meals.... trying to get as healthy as possible. I've recently started trying to eat clean-er lol... so I have found myself omitting whole meals all together :( But occasionally, I do order pizza, but I've switched to chicken veggie on thin crust and things like that. :)
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    I have always made large soups for our family...some, i think, are pretty healthy....i haven't figured the calorie count in them yet....in the next couple of days i am going to make my mushroom soup...i'll get the calorie count on it and share it with you.
    Other soups i make:
    Chicken Tortilla
    Cabbage and Sausage
    Italian Wedding
    Beef Stew
    I can't think of any more at the moment...but i make soups alot and chili.
    We do alot of fried rice dishes and stir-fry's too...they are filled with alot of vegetables mostly.
    If any of these sounds good holler at me.
    San :)

Yum!! Thanks!
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    I made homemade Hamburger Helper the other day. I used ground meat and Dreamfield's macaroni. I made my own seasoning packet of garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, seasoned salt (you can add anything you want) and grated fresh cheese. It came out great and it was delicious. No preservatives, no junk.
    Thanks! Thats a great idea :)
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Chicken Parmesan! Yummy :bigsmile:

(P.S I think it makes chicken a lot less boring!)
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    I want to share of my meals too... so people can try them, and maybe leave one or two of their own :)

I've been having:
    Grilled Ceasar Chicken wraps (with light Kens Ceasars) .... even spicy buffalo... but easy on the ranch, and I pan fry the chicken instead of frying with batter...

Boboli Pizza... Still 700 cals... but for a WHOLE mini pizza, plus I get to control the cheese, and I add all the veggies (tomatoes, spinach, garlic, basil, mushrooms..etc I want)

Chicken or steak soft tacos with light sour cream, and pico de gallo...

I make homemade Chicken noodle soup, or Taco soup... which is AMAZING ... but in moderation.... and with lower fat/cals ingredients.

I know there is plenty to make... just looking for some new ideas :)
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Let's see, here are the common ones for my household.

-chicken enchiladas, bean enchiladas or lean steak enchiladas
    - brown rice with a side of meat and black beans
    -homemade vegan chili
    - (my newest and favorite meal) cheesy broccoli and cauliflower bake
    -spaghetti with no meat.
    -chicken Alfredo with a side of a vegetable and salad
    -lean hamburgers on whole wheat bun
    - homemade pizza with mozzarella and all kinds of veggies
    -cabbage soup
    -you can have an omelet (: some people like breakfast for dinner
    - potato soup w/o meat
    - shrimp salad, tuna salad with black beans!

So many choices; I have a whole cookbook from the 90's that have all kinds of low calorie meals.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Hi Lauren....here's one for you. Don't know any info on it.
    My dad's recipe for Roast beef.
    I swap the beef with pork tenderloin to change it up sometimes.
    2-3lb pork or same on a cut of beef.
    Salt,pepper and garlic powder on meat.
    Pan sear to start.
    Add Lipton onion soup mix both pouches.
    Your liquid will be a cup of coffee to a cup of water.
    Yes coffee! Makes darker richer gravy.
    I don't measure anything so about 8 cups liquid total. Cover the meat for sure.
    Just add little more water later if too much cooks out.
    I add another onion chopped.
    Bring to boil lower and simmer on top of stove 3-4 hrs lid on.
    Or crock pot it 6-8 on high.
    Add a small pkg carrots for last hour.
    Taste it and check seasoning make sure not too strong lol
    When all done remove everything and thicken the liquid.
    Roux. flour and water, corn starch and water,etc. One of these, whatever you prefer.

PS......You can even put potatoes in the liquid when you add the carrots.
    I think this is low cal depending on how you thicken the gravy? I'm new:bigsmile:

Also to change up my stews I add coffee to my tomato juice when making them. (Couple cups)
    I do a straight veg one or beef one.

I know I'm horrible at writing a recipe...sorry :flowerforyou:
  • isweatglitter
    isweatglitter Posts: 134
    Options
    Try healthy mac and cheese, taco bake, stir fry, etc
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • swetha1234
    swetha1234 Posts: 35
    Options
    i make some stir fry with brown rice. I use soy sauce, ginger, and basil for my sauce.
  • baseballmom1031
    Options
    Would you mind sending some recipes my way? I struggle with whole family recipes. I don't feel like making 4 dinners though.
  • liljen2005
    liljen2005 Posts: 19
    Options
    Stir-Frys!! My whole family love them! I also make mini "pizza" Using eggplant!!! - very good even my 4 year old will eat it! Lettuce wraps, let them pick what they want in theirs, fun and healthy because your not using breads! Kabobs over brown rice! ( marinated all the meat & veggies in italian dressing!) Make your lasagna using eggplant in place of the noodle! I bet you it will be very yummy!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Found this the other day and planning on making it this weekend.

Beef & Rotini Skillet
    http://www.campbellkitchen.com/RecipeDetail.aspx?recipeId=23&categoryId=5&ref=/RecipeCategory.aspx?categoryId=5

I am going to substitute in whole wheat pasta
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Also, check out this
    http://www.campbellkitchen.com/collections.aspx?c=1850

I love cooking with the condensed cream soups. YUM!