Do you agree with Cheat Days?

Options
2»

Replies

• scotslass
    scotslass Posts: 317
    Options
    i think each to their own on the matter, some people it works for others it doesn't xx
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree with it, I have one cheat meal a week and one dessert a week (off diet), once in awhile 2 meals off-diet per week. That way my body does not get used to the low calories and yes, I continue to lose and lose.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    For myself, it worked. However it maybe different for others. Some can't do a cheat day bc they don't have self control and may find themselves binging later and falling off the wagon. My cheat things are fast food or alcohol; things I don't miss anymore or only want to eat once every 1-2 weeks. It's not a one size fits all equation. Some can do it, some can't and shouldn't.
  • HeHealsMe
    HeHealsMe Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hmm,. I am doing a LIFE CHANGE, not a DIET. Don't even use that phrase.

Sometimes I go hogbutt wild
    \and eat a PINT, YEPPER'S a PINT :bigsmile:
    of B&J icecream
    but do it so rarely, it does not matter.

Life is to enjoy yourself.
    Stop punishing..
    make a life change..don't diet..
    you will feel so much better about what you are doing..
    and then, you will not regain the weight,
    as you never "DIETED:"
    You changed the way you eat!!
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I don't do them on a regular basis but once in a while we will go out in town and do something. I call it "Italian culture day" (we're stationed in Italy). I basically eat a bunch of pasta or pizza, drink some wine, and eat some gelato. I try to get in a good workout beforehand or the previous day to balance it out.
  • mom2gar
    mom2gar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I don't plan cheat days, I may have a meal or decide I need a snack and go over my cals - but not double. There are days I am 200 below and 300 over. I think naturally it happens and unless I ate the same food every day there is no way I would hit my calories on the mark every day. Knowing what works for you is great and a "cheat" day works - awesome - just be careful of the idea what's one day and then another and another and then you gain it all back. Good luck!
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I use special occasions as cheat days, and it works for me. Tuesday is my last final, and my clinical group is going out after for dinner and drinks, and I'm going to celebrate!
  • Lovely135
    Lovely135 Posts: 161
    Options
    I suggested a cheat day to my wife once, but when she figured out I meant with the hottie next door and not with a bowl of ice cream, she put the kibosh on that....
    LOl. at least u tried
  • mamasyd
    mamasyd Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Your body does tend to get used to a specific calorie intake and see it as the new 'normal'. That's when you hit a plateau. Rather than having a cheat day, I found it worked so much better to vary my intake within any given week. While my average would be whatever my intake should be at that stage, my daily numbers varied by 200-300 within the week. For example, when my target intake was 1275 calories per day my week might look something like this:

Monday - 1035
    Tuesday - 1380
    Wednesday - 1105
    Thursday - 1315
    Friday - 1640
    Saturday - 1125
    Sunday - 1310

Weekly total = 8910 (1275 x 7 = 8925)

I just ignored the times when MFP told me I was starving. LOL In all the time I used this plan, I never had a single week when I didn't lose something. It worked for me, but each person has to find what works best for their body and their lifestyle.

I rarely ate sweets (still don't eat many), but I did have chips/salsa regularly (usually once every week) and just exercised portion control. Pizza used to be my favorite food and I don't have it often anymore, but if I am craving it I have found that Subway's personal pizza is just about right and only 700-850 calories depending on what I have on it. My goal was to make a new lifestyle and one that I could live for the rest of my life. Having 'cheat' days or even being on a 'diet' are not part of that plan. Eating a healthy amount and focusing on foods that actually nourish my body and give it some benefit have proven to be much more valuable to me.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Because I tend to concern myself more with weekly totals than daily, I don't sweat cheat days because in the scheme of my weekly calories, I usually didn't cheat at all. I do try to save splurges for special occasions but I like having the flexibility to have some spontaneous fun food or drinks. I agree with those who say that not eating the exact same number of calories every day works for them - it seems to work for me as well. Or at least, it helps me not to feel constrained in my eating.
  • maltaman99
    maltaman99 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    exactly, trick your body! Well so far so good for me. Its been almost a week since my cheat day, and ive lost 5 lbs.
  • maltaman99
    maltaman99 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    thank you!
  • MogwaisGrandma
    MogwaisGrandma Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    When a women who has lost 241lbs post a reply then it is well worth reading and taking note

Fabulous going Mamasyd!
    Your body does tend to get used to a specific calorie intake and see it as the new 'normal'. That's when you hit a plateau. Rather than having a cheat day, I found it worked so much better to vary my intake within any given week. While my average would be whatever my intake should be at that stage, my daily numbers varied by 200-300 within the week. For example, when my target intake was 1275 calories per day my week might look something like this:

Monday - 1035
    Tuesday - 1380
    Wednesday - 1105
    Thursday - 1315
    Friday - 1640
    Saturday - 1125
    Sunday - 1310

Weekly total = 8910 (1275 x 7 = 8925)

I just ignored the times when MFP told me I was starving. LOL In all the time I used this plan, I never had a single week when I didn't lose something. It worked for me, but each person has to find what works best for their body and their lifestyle.

I rarely ate sweets (still don't eat many), but I did have chips/salsa regularly (usually once every week) and just exercised portion control. Pizza used to be my favorite food and I don't have it often anymore, but if I am craving it I have found that Subway's personal pizza is just about right and only 700-850 calories depending on what I have on it. My goal was to make a new lifestyle and one that I could live for the rest of my life. Having 'cheat' days or even being on a 'diet' are not part of that plan. Eating a healthy amount and focusing on foods that actually nourish my body and give it some benefit have proven to be much more valuable to me.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I suggested a cheat day to my wife once, but when she figured out I meant with the hottie next door and not with a bowl of ice cream, she put the kibosh on that....

LMFAO!!
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Cheat opportunities (birthday cake, potlucks at work) come up often enough that I don't plan them. No, I don't think they are that helpful metabolically, but can be mentally.

I agree, I never plan my cheat days, they just kinda happen. Like today, my brother graduated college and I over did by a couple thousand calories celebrating with family :)
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Yes, to curb the cravings. Satisfy your body.. It keeps me in control.
    I only have a cheat meal though.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a diet so I don't have to cheat. I try to eat well 90% of the time. The other 10% is for my low calorie junk food, or meals out with my love, or my family.
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    JBsCrazyGirl Posts: 337
    Options
    it works for me!
    so does eating something, SOMETHING for breakfast.
    I hate breakfast, I am never hungry in the morning but i swear, cheat days and breakfast are magical :laugh:
  • wranglerlaura
    Options
    I call them free days. I free myself from the confines of everything. If the girls and I go for a walk great, if we sit at home and watch movies great, but it is my free day.
    If you want to get into the science of it all, basically you are reminding your body that there is no famine and it is OK to keep letting the fat go. A free day helps your body stay out of starvation mode.
    Sounds like it works for you, I know I have to have it, I'm sure for some their bodies react differently and it would be adversarial. Congrats on your weight loss.
  • kateblue72
    kateblue72 Posts: 113
    Options
    I agree with a number of the mfp members .... I don't cheat, I just choose to eat more. This is a lifestyle change. Not a life sentance. I too had a number of 'cheat years'..... and I don't want to go back there. I remember losing weight on the scale throughWW, then promptly 'splurging', only to have to spend the rest of the week working it off - did not work for me. Now I just eat it if I want it. But I do make it a conscious decision. And that might include having to exercise a bit more to enjoy 'XYZ'! Good luck to all - whatever works for you, is what you deal with:flowerforyou: