Green tea

Options
2»

Replies

• dancergurl567
    Options
    I put honey in there or sweet and low. Tastes so much better!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Hope this isn't a stupid question but is there a benefit for losing weight in drinking green or white tea? Please tell me what it is.
    There are studies that show great health benefits and weight loss benefits. There are more studies for green tea since more people know about it but there are some with white that show as good results or better.

Oh the point about the water tempurature is good. If the tea pot is whistling the water is too hot. I try to catch the kettle before the whistle or I let the water cool down before steeping green or white tea. That may make it taste better if you don't burn it.
  • killinme
    killinme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help, but I grew up in Asia/Pacific and I adore green tea. My kids put sugar in their's. Perhaps that will help I use splenda
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Hope this isn't a stupid question but is there a benefit for losing weight in drinking green or white tea? Please tell me what it is.

All teas have health benefits because of the antioxidants. Green is supposed to have a few more just because it is minimally processed and does not go through oxidation. All teas (except reds/herbals) are basically from the same plants. The only difference between green, white, black and oolong have to do with the processing and fermentation (oxidation).

Green also has HGCG which, supposedly is the most powerful antioxidant known. It is the only tea that has that.

Link to a lot of good health information on tea. If you don't drink it you certainly should after reading this. http://www.tealaden.com/teaweb/healtharticle.htm
  • gesosoge77
    gesosoge77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    green tea and mango smoothie
    make the green tea and cool it then blend it with alot of frozen mango's and add honey to taste , it is soo good :)
  • DavidOfOz
    DavidOfOz Posts: 225
    Options
    I buy green tea chai and then have it with hot milk like a latte. Its very nice!
  • biff54928
    biff54928 Posts: 35
    Options
    I don't like it either BUT I will drink it with a wee bit of my powder crystal lite in it or generic version from walmart gives it a bit of flavor so it is drinkable :0) I also buy the berry green tea instead of just the plain one
  • Songbirdy
    Songbirdy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Green tea isn't meant to be steeped in boiling water. The easiest thing to do is to boil the water, pour it (minus the tea!) and set the timer for 10 minutes. After that, put in the tea (I use loose leaf in a basket) and steep it for 4 minutes. You may prefer more or less.

Hot water actually 'burns' the tea causing it to be bitter. Steeping too long makes it too strong.

If you use a good quality tea you can brew it a few times, and some say that the best brews are in the second and third steeps.

I prefer a Jasmine infused green tea blend.

White teas are a good substitute and many can be brewed with boiling water.

I hated green teas for years until I had someone who knows how brew me a cup. Now I love it.
  • aab4327
    aab4327 Posts: 1
    Options
    You can try crushed mint leaves. I can picture some other spices my sister uses in her tea but I can't recall their names. Most are in the whole form and simmer in a pot when she makes her tea.
  • runuma
    runuma Posts: 6
    Options
    16 oz tepid water. I microwave for 90 seconds.

One green tea bag, one peppermint tea bag. Steep 4 minutes only.

Stir in 1 tbsp honey.

Good warm or on ice.

Very hot water brings out the bitter compounds in green tea faster. Go for slightly warmer than hot tub water.
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    i can't stand plain green tea, but i drink Yogi Slim Life Blueberry Green Tea every day. LOVE IT!! i get it at walmart, or from vitamin shoppe if i am ordering other things as it is cheaper there.

It's also at my Target. I like this too
  • runuma
    runuma Posts: 6
    Options
    BTW, if you don't like making your own, try the unsweetened Lipton Pureleaf in the glass bottles. It tastes sweet and fresh and not at all bitter. I love it, but I love green tea when it's well prepared.
  • AmyS1975
    AmyS1975 Posts: 143
    Options
    I felt the same until I discovered MINT green tea.