Anyone tried 'Eat for weight you want to be'?

Options
shakybabe
shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
I seem to have stalled and gone up temporary when I was 3lbs off goal (goal date in about 2 weeks).

I wondered if anyone had tried eating amount of calories for weight they want to be?

According to BMR tools my BMR at 9st 3 would be 1,230 and if x 1.2 I should be eating at least 1,476 cals... but the MFP either gives me 1200 (sedentary) or 1250 (lightly active) for several different weights or goals?

Has anyone actually succeeded with this method and ended up at the weight they were eating for?

Thanks

Replies

• 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'm doing that now. I'm not quite at goal, but eating more really did make the weight start coming off again.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    God yeah... I can gain, maintain or lose all by choosing a calorie deficit or surplus to a crazy accuracy
  • Missi3601
    Missi3601 Posts: 264
    Options
    bump
  • Michelleypoo82
    Options
    God yeah... I can gain, maintain or lose all by choosing a calorie deficit or surplus to a crazy accuracy

How do you figure it out?
  • shakybabe
    Options
    I can eat more but problem I'm having is I end up exercising until I've worked them off so I don't feel guilty about eating more.

I'm guessing I need to eat more but not exercise so get at least 1400 net calories?
  • CrazyGraciegirl
    Options
    I was thinking about this today.. I don't know if I will do it. To reach my goal weight, and eat like I need to for the rest of my life to stay healthy, it's somewhere around 1800, but I eat about 1400 a day. I don't want to risk gaining. :frown:
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I tried doing this according to MFP even though I'm trying to gain. I thought I should be eating about 1800 a day to gain, but it turned out I needed more like 2300. Every body is different, so experiment and see what's best for you! 1200 in my opinion is not sustainable or healthy,so I think you're much better off with at least 1500 or so.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options

How do you figure it out?

I work out my maintain by eating a fixed amount of calories for a while and seeing what happens to my weight. If I gain a 1lb in a week I know I have eaten (3600/7) calories too mush each day and I adjust

I know my maintain is 2750 calories. I don't eat exercise its to inaccurate I just know with what I do , activiies and exercise it averages at 2750

To lose a lb a week I reduce to 2250. to gain a lb a week (for weight training) I increase to 3250

I never under-eat by more than 500 or over by more than 500
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I was stuck too, and started doing that and started losing again. MFP gave me about 1300 for a 1 lb per week weight loss and the other calculators give me 1850. It's working in the short term for me... we'll see how it goes long term.

Good luck!
    Jen
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    MFP's calculations are really low for most of us....Here is a great site to figure out what your calories should be daily & you can put this into MFP yourself w/o MFP calculating for you....Also, at TDEE your exercise cals are figured in for you so you don't need to eat back your exercise calories....Also, for weightloss put in -15% on the scooby site to get your numbers...I hope this helps you all!! :)

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

ETA: To get the calories to eat for your future self (at goal weight) put in your goal weight & instead of -15% put in gain muscle but lose fat to get the cals you should eat....
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    To OP: YES!! And there's an amazing group of people doing the same. Check out the Group Eat More to Weigh Less. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    MFP's calculations are really low for most of us....Here is a great site to figure out what your calories should be daily & you can put this into MFP yourself w/o MFP calculating for you....Also, at TDEE your exercise cals are figured in for you so you don't need to eat back your exercise calories....Also, for weightloss put in -15% on the scooby site to get your numbers...I hope this helps you all!! :)

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

ETA: To get the calories to eat for your future self (at goal weight) put in your goal weight & instead of -15% put in gain muscle but lose fat to get the cals you should eat....

Thanks for the link. I really like the site.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    MFP always had me at 1200; it worked for a little while then I stalled. I also was starving and exhausted due to how much I was working out. When I changed to my TDEE -15% which was between 1600-1700, I dropped those last few lbs quickly and felt so much better. I've now been eating at my TDEE for maintence and haven't had any increase.
  • shakybabe
    Options
    I will try and eat more today I usually do sundays anyway as I like bacon or sausage with scrambled egg in a corn tortilla for brunch and have sunday dinner later. so I may as well take advantage of that!

I'll stay off the exercise pedals but had to do my physio stretches otherwise my muscle spasms get worse (especially in my back and then I can't sit for long which makes things hard as I'm sat in wheelchair all day) but they are really low impact floor stretches I doubt I burn that much from them. I'm having a bowl of cereal too after them,

I need to go to shop for more fruit so will do that in a bit when I take my dog out. have to use mobility scooter so I don't get same exercise from walking her twice a day as I would if I could actually walk around the village for an hour in mornings and 30 mins afternoon walk.

Though if I am burning an extra 300-500 cals a day just from having Ataxia with the involuntary movements I already have my 500 deficit built in for the day but no-one has been able to tell me for sure but like the other day when I was self propelling myself around shopping centre I probably easily did 500 then did another 1050 when I got home to burn off lunch from Pizza Hut.

Maybe I've under estimated the NEAT calories I burn just moving around so am putting myself at a big deficit with the extra big sessions? I get exhausted just getting through the day which is why I found the passive trainer bike easier cos it doesn't feel like I'm exercising I just strap legs to bike and it pedals them for me, but I guess my body is still burning the calories if the readout is correct and I really burn as many as it says on there?

It works on roughly 15 min cycle - though not exact every time so usually burn between 158-162 cals per '15 min cycle', an hour on them usually stops somewhere between 600-660 depending on whether i got min or max calories per 15 min when I do 4 in a row.

Someone once said on here they had worked as a nurse for someone with Huntingdons and their job was to make sure he got 6,000cals a day cos of the constant involuntary movements thats how much he burned even though he was wheelchair bound with no voluntary control over his arms or legs. Mine are no where near that severe but I suspect I burn more than the given for the average sedentary person sitting all day

I'm wondering if I should eat at the cals for lightly active or moderately active if doing additional exercise on top? (at number for goal weight lightly or mod active)