Friend won't stop talking bro science about fitness and diet

Options
So, not sure what to do here. My good friend, I'll call him Jazanthapus, always has something to say about fitness/diet/working out. Now, he's fit. I won't deny that, but when he starts talking about the science of fitness, almost everything he tells people is bro science. "It's better to workout on an empty stomach first thing in the morning because your body will immediately burn your fat", "long cardio like running burns the most fat", "don't eat fat, it makes you fat". I cringe every time someone brings up dieting because Jazanthapus chimes in with baseless bro science, worst of all "women shouldn't life too heavy". I hate correcting him because Jazanthapus gets really defensive, angry, and a little poisonous too. Should I just ignore the misinformation or try to correct him?

Replies

• tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I would just try and give opposing (ahem - correct) information in a way that is just presenting another viewpoint. If it really bugs you, find some research articles to cite and leave it at that. Just don't play into the whole "I know more than you" thing.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Trying to correct him does no good if I read what you are saying correctly. No use beating your head against a brick wall.
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'd ignore it. My motto is do not argue with idiots, it gets you nowhere
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    So, not sure what to do here. My good friend, I'll call him Jazanthapus, always has something to say about fitness/diet/working out. Now, he's fit. I won't deny that, but when he starts talking about the science of fitness, almost everything he tells people is bro science. "It's better to workout on an empty stomach first thing in the morning because your body will immediately burn your fat", "long cardio like running burns the most fat", "don't eat fat, it makes you fat". I cringe every time someone brings up dieting because Jazanthapus chimes in with baseless bro science, worst of all "women shouldn't life too heavy". I hate correcting him because Jazanthapus gets really defensive, angry, and a little poisonous too. Should I just ignore the misinformation or try to correct him?

yes, just ignore the misinformation, just like when a child babbles endlessly about nothing
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'd ignore it. My motto is do not argue with idiots, it gets you nowhere

My thought exactly!
  • alwayssavingme
    Options
    Ignore, ignore & ignore! Just do what works for you and let him do him... I have learned to just stay out of it because no matter what anyone else says, my results will not be hindered in any way!
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    This forum is PACKED with bro-scientists. Most of them don't know they are.

I will agree that its better to exercise fasted when in ketosis because glycogen and sugar isn't the fuel source. Fat is.

Cardio can burn fat if the above is true. But slower to moderate cardio. HIIT relies on glyocogen stores for intense bursts of energy. Think 60% of max heart rate.

Fat doesn't make people fat. Storing fat from excessive carbohydrate consumption in the form of sugar, starches, and extreme protein consumption does.

Of course there is science behind everything I said. Want to know more? Learn what insulin and ketones are and how our hormones are affected by the foods we eat.
  • midbiker
    midbiker Posts: 2
    Options
    ditto on the arguing with idiots. On the other hand, it really bothers me when people think they know scientific "facts"--his ideas of fitness date back to ads they put in gyms in the 80's.
    But like someone said earlier, your results will show and that would shut anyone up on what 'women can and cannot lift'...
  • indigenousnudity
    Options
    I have nothing to add except that Louis CK rules.
  • anastasiab1621
    anastasiab1621 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! Just ignore and let your results speak for themselves.

Later on...

Bro-scientist: You're looking good

You: I did everything you said not to, guess it worked. MWhahaha

Thats how I envisage my convos with bro-scientists going lol