super sad

Options
i read this article this morning and i still can't get the image and sad feeling to go away. i just keep thinking of when my cat was just a little baby kitty

NYC Teen Admits Leaving Kitten in Oven to Die
Thursday, July 16, 2009

NEW YORK — A New York City teenager has admitted that she failed to let a kitten out of an oven after a friend put the animal inside and left it to roast to death.

After pleading guilty to charges of animal cruelty and attempted burglary on Wednesday, 17-year-old Cheyenne Cherry confronted a row of animal activists outside the courtroom. Cherry stuck out her tongue and told the activists that the kitten named Tiger Lily was "dead."

Authorities say Cherry and a 14-year-old friend ransacked a Bronx apartment before putting the cat in the oven, where it cried and scratched before dying.

The 14-year-old was charged with aggravated animal cruelty and burglary in the May 6 incident.

Cherry will serve a year in jail under a plea bargain.

(from www.foxnews.com)

Replies

• tubbytabbytales
    tubbytabbytales Posts: 5,883
    Options
    WTF. Who does these things? :angry:
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    That just makes me sick to my stomach.
    They need to put those girls in the oven for a while and see how they would like it.
    I have 2 little kitties and can't even imagine doing something like that!!!

Memaw
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Our society sucks. Who could do such a thing? And this is a child herself. :brokenheart:
  • hkuiuc99
    hkuiuc99 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    OMG! that is just horrible!!!
  • Kendra7107
    Kendra7107 Posts: 122
    Options
    This story is sad and sickening. I think it's disturbing because this is the way serial killers begin. I have no doubt that these girls will move on to killing people one day. No moral compass, compassion and a lack of conscience. Very scary indeed!
  • Jax67
    Jax67 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    :sad: :angry:

What is wrong with people!?

Poor kitty :cry:
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    :noway: I am appalled that the 17 year old that didn't have any remorse only got 1 year in jail. I don't care if she is a minor. She absolutely did what she did with obvious abandon and without conscience. My feeling is that is what's wrong with our society. Too many kids just get their hands smacked for hideous crimes like this and then they go on to be full fledged adult slime. This girl needs real jail time and I think they should paper her cell with posters of cute kittens.From walls to ceiling, let not one space of concrete be visible. I am not a sadist and I have a compassionate heart. I am not saying bind and torture either girl, what I'm saying is the 17 year old should not see the light of day until she understands the insidious, atrocious, act that she perpetrated against a living, breathing, thing. She should be made to help out at animal shelters (under close supervision and away from heat sources :angry: ) during her rehabilitation. My thoughts anyway.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Wow....I want to put my foot in her *kitten* so bad it isn't even funny...but I would get more jail time for assaulting a minor than she's going to get for what she did.:explode:
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh....this makes me so sad! We have 5 kitties and two were rescue cats (the other three were kittens of one of them) and I just can't imagine doing anything to hurt them! How could someone be so soul-less and not feel ANY remorse? That is just sick. :brokenheart:
  • quinnybear
    quinnybear Posts: 243
    Options
    i just keep picturing this cute little kitten and its desperate meows. poor baby. :brokenheart:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    WOW..that is pretty freaking cold
    I can't understand how anyone could be so heartless and cruel...I'm not an animal lover per se, but would never ever inflict pain on another living thing....it's sick

Kim
  • jmdolan
    jmdolan Posts: 128
    Options
    1 year... then they will release her and she will do something worse. It makes me sick that people can make animals suffer like that. Its sickening!
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    I used to work for an SPCA. We saw a lot of cruelty cases. Most don't make the news. what the law doesn't take into consideration is that people who abuse animals rarely stop there. If you learn to abuse a living thing then it's easy to graduate to some other defenseless being...a child, an older person, etc. My recommendation to anyone affected by this story is this: #1 help the children that you know learn to be empathetic of others, including animals. #2 Know the laws in your jurisdiction and let your lawmakers know you want to see stiffer penalties for animal abuse. #3 Become a member of an organization that can allert you to times when calling your representative, senator, etc. is important. If you're in the US I highly recommend the HSUS (the humane society of the US) - a great organization that is working to improve conditions for animals (I went to New Orleans to help them with animal rescue after Hurricane Katrina and you can't imagine the monumental undertaking that was!) The HSUS has a legislative email alert that you can sign up for that will not only let you know when various issues need support but they usually include the phone number of your representative or a link to a quick way to email, etc. Here's a link to the HSUS website:

http://www.hsus.org/
  • jadadesigns
    Options
    I totally agree with all the replys you recieved from this horrible news,these two girls have no value on any living thing and will grow up killing other living things until they kill a human.I have taken in so many cats in our neiborhood,I think people drop them off in my yard because they know I will take care of them or find a good home for them.I have two strays that I have fed and they have just adopted me and they are the sweetest gentlest cats,I can't imagine anyone doing that !!and have no remorse!!
    These girls got off easy and society will pay for it.
  • qtkt1
    qtkt1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Cherry stuck out her tongue and told the activists that the kitten named Tiger Lily was "dead."

just for this she should get a lot more time. she is not sorry at all!
  • Mercede
    Mercede Posts: 21
    Options
    I hate hearing about thing like this. How can anyone be so cruel.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    This is absolutely terrible!! I don't know how anyone could do that, and then make light of it? What is wrong with these Kids! Wow, horrible! :angry:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Those that hurt animals in that matter often graduate to hurting people.

They should lock her *kitten* up and throw away the key...a hitch in Rikers may do her some good. I heard that inmates like animal abusers about as much as they do those that hurt kids. I'm not a proponent of vigilante justice, but I would gladly stand in line for a chance to kick her butt!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    This is sick, and I agree with no remorse, they won't stop there. They will hurt other living creatures and possibly humans.

Not to make light of this story at all, but I can't help wonder.
    Why is a 17 and 14 year old burglaring an apartment?
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    That's one sick 14 year old! Needs some serious help beyond just jail.
    So how would she feel if her punishment matched her crime?!