Need help gaining weight; not hungry and under BMR

I really need help as I'm unable to eat enough food each day to make up at least my BMR, let alone my goal for each day. I'm not trying to lose weight but trying to gain; I'm 6'2" and 140 lb. I've got bones sticking out and I feel tired all the time.

I used to be able to pack away quite a bit of food at a meal, but now a lot of food doesn't taste good at all anymore, including things I loved. Additionally, much of the food my mom makes (who's on this website) is low calorie as she was on a weight loss plan through this website.

How can I stretch out my stomach or regain my appetite? I'm afraid I'm going to die.

Replies

• Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Just going from what I've watched on 'Supersize Vs. Superskinny' (a health programme on Ch4 if you're not familiar) the 'skinny' people usually improve their appetites just by making themselves eat regular meals. A lot of the time they substitute food for tea or coffee or diet drinks, which work as a stimulant and fill their tummy's, but instead have to eat regular and larger portions, it only seems to take a few days for this to kick start their hunger.

I believe there's some truth in this, if I eat an early breakfast then I suddenly become ravenous for the rest of the day, whereas if I eat later then I can go for hours without wanting food.

A good step in the right direction would be to plan a menu for that day (I do this every morning and it's not difficult) I use MFP to add up all the calories i'm allowed and thinking about the foods that I have in the house I plan each meal and a rough time that i'm going to eat and then stick to this. It won't work for everyone but I find the routine, knowing what I'm going to eat and how many calories it contains help me stay on track. Granted, i'm trying to lose weight, but I don't see how it would be altogether too different to gain either if your calorie goal was higher.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,089 Member
    stay away from cafein and nicotine, they are apetite surpresants, also fizzy drinks fill your stomach so avoid them

eat regular large meals, to adapt your stomach
    eat calorie dense food during the process of adaptation
    (fe eat 3 meals and 3 snacks, snacks can be handfull of nuts, chocolate, avocado... - all high in calories)
    drink some of your cals: milk, juice will help you reach your kcal goal

once you used to eating more no need to stick to 3 meals + 3 snacks
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    I really need help as I'm unable to eat enough food each day to make up at least my BMR, let alone my goal for each day. I'm not trying to lose weight but trying to gain; I'm 6'2" and 140 lb. I've got bones sticking out and I feel tired all the time.

I used to be able to pack away quite a bit of food at a meal, but now a lot of food doesn't taste good at all anymore, including things I loved. Additionally, much of the food my mom makes (who's on this website) is low calorie as she was on a weight loss plan through this website.

How can I stretch out my stomach or regain my appetite? I'm afraid I'm going to die.

Ok I'm a gainer I net around 2200 a day which may not sound like much but it is for a 100lb girl, who wants to do this healthy. So advice. Plan your meals through out the day you pretty much either need to be eating all the time or eating big. If your mum is cooking low Cal that makes it challenging, you are going to need to add healthy high Cal foods to that. Think healthy oils, nuts, avacados etc. You might want to consider starting weight training, it means eating even more but helps with the build up. I will attempt to invite you to our gainer group but I'm on my phone so it might not happen till later but there's lots of help and advice there too. Ad a gainer you just need to learn to eat even if you are not always hungry! It can absolutely suck some days but its the only way it can be done.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member

Unexplained loss of appetite.... go see a doctor and get a check up. Make sure there isnt something serious going on there. let him/her know your concerns and dont put off the appointment. You are underweight for your height according to the BMI charts.
    The thing that increases your appetite is..eating more. You have to consciously eat more to have your body start to rev up again. There are alot of calorie dense foods that dont take up too much room in your stomach. Nuts, avocado, protein powder scoops in shakes.
    Repeat ..see your doctor please. Better safe than sorry.
    Be well.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Do you exercise? This definitely increases my hunger levels.

I agree with what someone wrote above that if I put off food till later in the day then I want it less and less - if I have a big breakfast then I can easily stomach a big lunch and dinner.

If part of the problem is you're not really enjoying the taste of certain foods then plan to eat lots of what you like til you get back into the swing of eating enough, even if it's totally unhealthy.

I would definitely say focus first on eating enough, then when that's on track focus on making that stuff decent and healthy, not the other way round or you'll be fighting a losing battle.
  • coleen_d_b
    coleen_d_b Posts: 22 Member
    I'm 6'2" and 140 lb. I've got bones sticking out and I feel tired all the time... I used to be able to pack away quite a bit of food at a meal, but now a lot of food doesn't taste good at all anymore, including things I loved... I'm afraid I'm going to die.

I strongly agree with JadeRabbit08, go see a doctor. And right away. The symptoms above (including your fear) are clear indications that something is not right. Perhaps it's as simple as a vitamin deficiency, but why take a chance that it could be more serious?