GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Options

Replies

• em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good plan and a good attitude. Honestly I'm not sure why you're not losing, although increasing your calories would be my advice, and eat between your BMR and TDEE. Remember that TDEE value is not truly your maintenance calories because it does not include exercise. You should lose weight at 2000/day if you are more active than a desk job and exercising.

As far as eating clean, if it stresses you out and you don't enjoy it, I wouldn't worry about eating clean 100% as I'm not sure it makes as much difference for weight loss. For overall health, I think it does, but that's different.

Other ideas would be getting your BMR professionally measured and/or seeing a nutritionist. I think you said your thyroid levels were normal, but that could be a factor too. Your metabolism may be atypical and these formulas are only estimates.

Sorry I don't have any better ideas -- best of luck!

Tdee = total daily energy expenditure so SHOULD include exercise and is your maintenance level.

OP - If bmr is 1700, your tdee will not be only 2000. If you are a nanny (active job) and you work out, you should choose at least lightly or maybe moderately active. Choosing a desk job when that is not your true activity level will give you the wrong cals.

For comparison - I am 201 lbs. bmr 1569, tdee 2632 based on moderately active. I lose 1.5 a week eating 2000 / netting 1550.

I know my TDEE is higher. Just showing what it would be bare minimum. But if I can't fix the problem of eating enough without it being junk, it doesn't matter much what it honestly is--I just need to figure out how to get anywhere near it (or 20% less than it).

Add calorie dense foods to your day, it's not hard to get cals up healthily if you choose the right foods.
    50g nuts 400 cals
    2 teaspoon peanut butter 200 cals
    1 teaspoon olive oil 100 cals
    1 avocado 300 cals
    Use regular milk / yogurt / cheese not light / skimmed / reduced fat.
    Use whole chicken with skin rather than chicken breasts
    Get standard rather than lean cuts of meat.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Your diary doesn't look bad. Try to get more protein (2.5-3g/kg lean body mass, or 1g/lb. body weight, whichever is easier for you). It will make a huge difference. If you aren't losing with 1600, then that may be too much. The MFP calculations are not really that accurate (manually did one for a friend who was >40% body fat, MFP said to eat ~2k calories, BMR came out to around 1300, TDEE around 1800, so eating 200 calories over daily expenditures+eating back exercise = no kidding you aren't losing weight).

The idea that eating more = losing more is ludicrous, and completely unsupported scientifically. That just helps get rid of water retention, which obscures weight loss for people who are very impatient.

Here are the main things that prevent weight loss:
    1) Miscalculated TDEE
    2) Including exercise in TDEE _and_ eating back exercise calories (this results in you eating 2x exercise calories)
    3) Underestimating calorie intake
    4) Overestimating calorie burn

Things that are not quite as critical, but extremely important:
    1) Inadequate protein intake
    2) Eating low-quality food (thermic effect of food from whole food can account for an additional 10% caloric deficit on daily intake)
    3) Excessive cardio for women who are sensitive to thyroid issues (basically, when in doubt, get your thyroid function checked if you are female)
    4) Not weight training (seriously... 3 hours a week will give better results than 10 hours a week of cardio)

It is not as complicated as everyone makes it. Calories in - calories out = 90% of weight loss. Starvation mode is a myth with no scientific backing. When in doubt, consult with a nutritionist as to what your caloric and nutritional intake should look like.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

Try this. Figure out all the different calculations. You may have a lower TDEE than you think since you're "fun sized" - I don't know what calculator you're using.

Part of fat2fit is that you don't eat back your exercise calories. You get a set number based on how many times per week you work out. Then you eat that number throughout the week.
  • ByrdMessy
    ByrdMessy Posts: 94
    Options
    A pear for breakfast isn't enough, on the other hand whats up with the fast food?

Ice cream? sandwiches?

You're missing a few days, but the last complete day shows the story.

Look at your totals.

Yeah, like I said, I've been frustrated and slacking lately, but a month and a half of doing fairly well ought to at least lose me some water weight, no?
  • ByrdMessy
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

Try this. Figure out all the different calculations. You may have a lower TDEE than you think since you're "fun sized" - I don't know what calculator you're using.

Part of fat2fit is that you don't eat back your exercise calories. You get a set number based on how many times per week you work out. Then you eat that number throughout the week.

Yes, I've read that, and I've used many different calculators. Here's fat2fit's advice for me:

Activity Level ... Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) ... 1787
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) ... 2047
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) ... 2308
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) ... 2569
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) ... 2829
  • Digilog
    Digilog Posts: 3
    Options
    I believe you will get to where you want to be, it just takes time. Years ago I went through a military selection process to become a certain type of warrior. In the process, I hiked with a reasonably heavy backpack almost everyday and I shed weight like crazy. Naturally, I gained it all back because I was not watching my dieting; however, it can be done.

You may need to increase your walking range and carry a decent size backpack (one that is not too heavy at first, and feels comfortable). Also, as far as snacks, I have started eating more fresh fruit such as, bananas, oranges, and apples. They are good calories.

I am certainly no expert, but I believe you can do whatever you want.

Cheers
  • catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Once you calculate your TDEE, then you deduct out about 30% of that to eat in calories, so if your TDEE is 2047 for lightly active (which is sounds like maybe you are) then you would eat about 1432 calories at 30% deduct, 25% 1535 and for 20% 1637 calories. You do not eat back exercise with this method, as you figured it in already when you put in your activity level. So thats the total daily, less 20-30% for the weight loss. So if you are lightly active, i would say eat 1432 calories and be sure to get in exercise 1-3 days a week and adjust if you are more active. To lose a bit more a little quicker, increase your activity level and get your heart rate up into the 85% of maximum for at least 20-30 minutes during activity.

I think you just got things a bit confused by the TDEE thats not your calories for the day, unless you just want to maintain. Then healthy snacks, lean meats, good fats, etc.. try to keep your macronutrients about 40/40/20 (carbs/proteins/fats)
  • ByrdMessy
    Options
    Once you calculate your TDEE, then you deduct out about 30% of that to eat in calories, so if your TDEE is 2047 for lightly active (which is sounds like maybe you are) then you would eat about 1432 calories at 30% deduct, 25% 1535 and for 20% 1637 calories. You do not eat back exercise with this method, as you figured it in already when you put in your activity level. So thats the total daily, less 20-30% for the weight loss. So if you are lightly active, i would say eat 1432 calories and be sure to get in exercise 1-3 days a week and adjust if you are more active. To lose a bit more a little quicker, increase your activity level and get your heart rate up into the 85% of maximum for at least 20-30 minutes during activity.

I think you just got things a bit confused by the TDEE thats not your calories for the day, unless you just want to maintain. Then healthy snacks, lean meats, good fats, etc.. try to keep your macronutrients about 40/40/20 (carbs/proteins/fats)

That's not TDEE, that's suggested intake.

"Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight... The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner."
  • KassieLouise88
    Options
    under eating does not prevent weight loss . Calories out - calories in = weight loss, just as 2 - 3 = -1 always has and always will.

This is what I thought. All this other talk has me lost! I have not been eating all of my calories and thought I was doing good, now im really confused. It would make since to make sure you eat a certain amount of calories and stay at that much, as long as you wanted to maintain your weight, not loose the weight.
  • maryaroy32
    maryaroy32 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would seriously question why you are on 1600 calories or 2k and expecting to lose weight. Did I read that right?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How come you're eating 1600 calories? That seems pretty high. My calorie consumption is 1300 or so.

Also, you don't need to be eating back your exercise calories. I actually recommend not to. Although, I know many people disagree with that. Yet many also agree with me. I personally don't lose weight when I eat back those burned calories. I believe eating back exercise calories is for those looking to maintain their weight. Not lose it.

That is not necessarily high at all. I am a lot older and I eat 1900 cals with no cardio, only strength training and am losing. It totally depends on activity, height, weight and age. Just because you are are eating 1300 (or I am eating 1900 for that matter) does niot mean she should. People that eat back their exercise calories are not necessarily looking to maintain (well they are looking to maintain muscle mass) but are doing it to fuel their exercise and not to end up with an unhealthy deficit.
  • ByrdMessy
    Options
    I would seriously question why you are on 1600 calories or 2k and expecting to lose weight. Did I read that right?

Dude. It boggles my mind, too.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Because that is presumably below her TDEE.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Your diary doesn't look bad. Try to get more protein (2.5-3g/kg lean body mass, or 1g/lb. body weight, whichever is easier for you). It will make a huge difference. If you aren't losing with 1600, then that may be too much. The MFP calculations are not really that accurate (manually did one for a friend who was >40% body fat, MFP said to eat ~2k calories, BMR came out to around 1300, TDEE around 1800, so eating 200 calories over daily expenditures+eating back exercise = no kidding you aren't losing weight).

The idea that eating more = losing more is ludicrous, and completely unsupported scientifically. That just helps get rid of water retention, which obscures weight loss for people who are very impatient.

1) Miscalculated TDEE
    2) Including exercise in TDEE _and_ eating back exercise calories (this results in you eating 2x exercise calories)

2) Eating low-quality food (thermic effect of food from whole food can account for an additional 10% caloric deficit on daily intake)
    3) Excessive cardio for women who are sensitive to thyroid issues (basically, when in doubt, get your thyroid function checked if you are female)
    4) Not weight training (seriously... 3 hours a week will give better results than 10 hours a week of cardio)

It is not as complicated as everyone makes it. Calories in - calories out = 90% of weight loss. Starvation mode is a myth with no scientific backing. When in doubt, consult with a nutritionist as to what your caloric and nutritional intake should look like.

This
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    How come you're eating 1600 calories? That seems pretty high. My calorie consumption is 1300 or so.

Also, you don't need to be eating back your exercise calories. I actually recommend not to. Although, I know many people disagree with that. Yet many also agree with me. I personally don't lose weight when I eat back those burned calories. I believe eating back exercise calories is for those looking to maintain their weight. Not lose it.

That is not necessarily high at all. I am a lot older and I eat 1900 cals with no cardio, only strength training and am losing. It totally depends on activity, height, weight and age. Just because you are are eating 1300 (or I am eating 1900 for that matter) does niot mean she should. People that eat back their exercise calories are not necessarily looking to maintain (well they are looking to maintain muscle mass) but are doing it to fuel their exercise and not to end up with an unhealthy deficit.
    Strength burns a LOT more than cardio. Most calculations only account for immediate energy expenditure. Recovery and muscle synthesis add several times that over the next several days.
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options

Strength burns a LOT more than cardio. Most calculations only account for immediate energy expenditure. Recovery and muscle synthesis add several times that over the next several days.

This is true.
    I have a Body Media Fit that shows my calorie burn. It doesn't show much burn for strength training the day of, but boy does it show up later.
    I started strength training about 2 months ago and it doesn't show up right away, but about a month after I started doing it my calorie burn increased by about 300 -500 calories A DAY just from normal activities.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Agreed to a point - depends on how much you do. But I totally agree with your prior comment about adding strength training.

My point was that you cannot say I eat XXX therefore you should
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

1) Miscalculated TDEE

^^this

(except the comment about starvation mode, but that's mostly about semantics in this case)
  • Perisylpha
    Perisylpha Posts: 139
    Options
    I have no idea what to tell you here. I have been following the program here, eating the calories I am supposed to eat according to MFP, getting some exercise, and it has been working for me.

Under eating can prevent weight loss.

How about your measurements? It's possible you are replacing fat with muscle so you aren't seeing a change on the scale.

Everyone says that if you eat too little you won't lose any weight. Years ago I had a nervous breakdown and was not able to eat much for a whole week. I lost over 14lbs. Now, I'm NOT recommending it at all, but if you don't eat, your body uses the stored fat. Fact.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what to tell you here. I have been following the program here, eating the calories I am supposed to eat according to MFP, getting some exercise, and it has been working for me.

Under eating can prevent weight loss.

How about your measurements? It's possible you are replacing fat with muscle so you aren't seeing a change on the scale.

Everyone says that if you eat too little you won't lose any weight. Years ago I had a nervous breakdown and was not able to eat much for a whole week. I lost over 14lbs. Now, I'm NOT recommending it at all, but if you don't eat, your body uses the stored fat. Fact.

Correction. It burns stored fat, and MUSCLE.