Motivation is LOST

Options
Over the last couple of years I have peaked and valley in my motivation to work out. The hardest part for me is maintaining consistency for more than 2-3 months. When I'm motivated, I'm motivated and I have a great time being active, keeping a diet, etc. However, then I come into a time of low motivation where I sleep 10+ hours a night and avoid eating well or being active. I literally can not fathom going to the gym. On the other hand I say things like "I want to be a runner" to my friends/family. Who else has these moments and challenges? What sort of things motivate you to get going? I really, really need some inspiration/motivation/help/etc.

Replies

• OlearyGirl
    OlearyGirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I also have that 2-3 month peaks and valleys in my fitness motivation, so you are not alone! I think the most important part is even if you stop for a while, you jump back into it. There may be particularly rough week when you need a break- or if you are like me you just lose interest for a little while and get kinda lazy. I have found I often lose motivation when I get bored with a routine. I am a fickle person, but I easily become obsessed with new interests. Your comment about wanting to become a runner sounded familiar to me, because it is also an activity that interests me. What I do to appease my wavering motivation is to set goals to attain by a certain date. It will keep me motivated to accomplish what I want and then after the date I choose to continue or move on to a new activity.
    These are a few examples of the recent fitness phases I have gone through- Ballroom dancing, Juggling, Swimming a mile continuously, pull-ups, long distance walking, adult hula hooping!
    Even if I did not accomplish my goal, the attempt alone improved my overall fitness!
  • sarahthorny
    Options
    Are you training to run now?
  • yellowpear
    yellowpear Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Bump.