Anyone else with a sabotaging partner?

Options
Hi, My husband sabotages my weightloss efforts.

I've confronted him about this many times - the only answer he has is that he doesn't want me to 'get skinny' and run off with another man. :huh:

Ridiculous.

It's gotten to the point where I'm really angry:explode: (I've been trying to lose weight for years and this issue arises several times a year)

At the moment we are fighting because he brought takeaway home 2 nights in a row after I asked him *nicely* to not bring junk into the house. (He is welcome to sit in any restaurant and eat anything he likes)

** Please note - when I asked him not to bring junk home I was VERY CLEAR that it included all forms of takeaway.

We *agreed* on this rule literally DAYS ago.

I am frustrated beyond belief.

FYI. I didn't eat any takeaway - but yeah, it's tough, and I don't need the lack of support.

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Yep, totally understand the way you feel. I got "told off" once or twice for measuring how much I ate or even weighing the grams. Are you freaking serious? Now all I ask for is to be left alone & let me do it this way so then I can lose weight.

As for the run off with another man...... use the line I did. I'm getting skinny so you don't run off with another woman. I said that the other day, it actually made him smile lol.
  • SurfersDream
    Options
    He's feeling insecure and needs reassurance. Mine does exactly the same bringing me large bars of chocolate etc. I don't have the magic answer but you just have to keep to your course and help him figure out you're not doing it to run off with another person.
  • GO_NadZ_xO
    GO_NadZ_xO Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Well, Its better than having a partner who tells you too. I would rather him not support me than tell me I HAVE TO. :/

Also, it so doesn't really help that he's skinny as hell and ALWAYS eats truckloads of junk food and could live off McDonalds. -.-
  • amethysts269
    amethysts269 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think they start to feel insecure as you lose the weight because they see other men suddenly checking you out! I told my husband he should take it as a compliment, that other men find HIS wife attractive... they are jealous of HIM and that should make him proud not insecure. I then add that if I was going to leave him I would have done it years ago!

Keep going on your journey, eventually he will see that you are happy and more confident and in turn he will benefit from your loss as well!
  • DaSavedSinner
    DaSavedSinner Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. My wife is always hinting at eating out or getting icecream or other junk foods, It makes me feel bad and I tend to give in, but later I regret it since I end up cheating my diet. I was doing great but lately Its been rough. Be honest with him about how it makes you feel, that is the biggest thing you can do. At least you can say you tried get get him to understand the way it makes you feel. Even though sometimes no matter how hard you try it don't help, Trust me I go through this daily, and not just over food. I wish you the best.
    I think they start to feel insecure as you lose the weight because they see other men suddenly checking you out! I told my husband he should take it as a compliment, that other men find HIS wife attractive... they are jealous of HIM and that should make him proud not insecure. I then add that if I was going to leave him I would have done it years ago!

Keep going on your journey, eventually he will see that you are happy and more confident and in turn he will benefit from your loss as well!

Wow....I never thought of that myself.... I have noticed women "watching" me and it kinda creeped me out since I am not used it. But in all honesty don't it make more sense to try to do things to make him/her feel special about their progress instead of acting like it is a bad thing? I sound like a Woman (no offence), I swear I was born the wrong gender....Ugh.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    As frustrating as it is, It's actually kinda nice that he's being honest with you about why you losing weight makes him nervous.
    Emphasize to him that you want to get healthier (not just skinnier/sexier) so that you can be with him for a long, long time.

Also, he might doubly not like the fact that you want to lose weight because it sounds like you're not only trying to change *your* eating habits, but his as well. If you're really doing this for your own health, just say "no" to the junk he's bringing in (I know it's not easy!). If you're consistent with that, he'll (hopefully) eventually get the message and stop trying to bring you stuff that doesn't fit into your eating plan.
  • DaSavedSinner
    Options
    As frustrating as it is, It's actually kinda nice that he's being honest with you about why you losing weight makes him nervous.
    Emphasize to him that you want to get healthier (not just skinnier/sexier) so that you can be with him for a long, long time.

Your post was well said, It made me want to talk to my wife about it to see if that is part of her concern. I will then assure her that I am a one man show and that she has the only ticket.

Thanks
  • ScientistStudy
    ScientistStudy Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Pfft, I'd be telling him he's more at risk of you running off with someone else with that behaviour than when you are skinny!
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. My wife highly encouraged me to join MFP for logging my food, which I did... then she STOPS logging, stops visiting the site. Always bringing "crap" into the house "for the kids", She wants to take the "kids" out for ice cream. She also wants to eat out a lot. And when the choice is a $9 salad or a $9 dinner.... I don't like choosing the salad.

I know it's a matter of willpower and I have to do this for ME, and all these decisions are MINE, but a little encouragement would help. I have lost 20 & gained 30 way too many times.
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I don't think my hubby does it intensionally, but right now, our willpower to say "no" to each other is pretty low. So I have to focus on what I'm here to do. Vacations don't help either, and I don't want him to feel like he's suffering because of a choice I am making. Oh well...
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    As already said, the REAL problem is underlying: he's insecure and you think there's no grounding for it... unfortunately there probably is. You need to talk to him about it and be sure to ask enough questions to get to the root cause of his feelings.

Don't talk down to him or ridicule anything, no matter how small, while he talks about it or he'll shut down... men don't do feelings very well.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    In my old age and years of dieting, I finally realized that no one else sabotages you but you. So he brings junk in. Is he holding a gun to your head to make you eat it? No. Will Power. I have a husband and a son who eat food I don't. I don't consider it sabotage. It builds my will power. No one makes me eat it. Build up your will power and get over your anger. Those are feelings that keep us fat. Resentment, anger, insecurity. He has his insecurities and you have yours. But he is not sabotaging you - you are. Stop it and get on with it.
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    In my old age and years of dieting, I finally realized that no one else sabotages you but you. So he brings junk in. Is he holding a gun to your head to make you eat it? No. Will Power. I have a husband and a son who eat food I don't. I don't consider it sabotage. It builds my will power. No one makes me eat it. Build up your will power and get over your anger. Those are feelings that keep us fat. Resentment, anger, insecurity. He has his insecurities and you have yours. But he is not sabotaging you - you are. Stop it and get on with it.

I understand what you're saying but especially in the beginning of a diet it can be very painful when you're restricting your calories.

You're hungry, you're starving, you're moody and can resist anything but temptation.

We all need support sometimes, it's not unreasonable to request it from the people you live with, especially considering how tough weight loss really is.
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    As already said, the REAL problem is underlying: he's insecure and you think there's no grounding for it... unfortunately there probably is.

Well, I am very loyal but he has been cheated on before - so I'm guessing his insecurity stems from that.

It's a shame he never got over it.
  • Legals81
    Legals81 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    First of all, well done for not giving in and eating the take-away and for standing up for what you want to do. Besides eating well to loose weight most people are choosing a healthy lifestyle so that their bodies are healthy and they will live a long and healthy life. Maybe if you tell your husband that this is the reason as well as wanting to loose weight he will understand that it is more than just wanting to look skinny.

Im not sure what I would do in that situation but ultimately its your body and what you put into it is up to you, not him.
  • DaSavedSinner
    Options
    Is he holding a gun to your head to make you eat it? No. Will Power.

&
    We all need support sometimes, it's not unreasonable to request it from the people you live with, especially considering how tough weight loss really is.

This is exactly what we ALL need to remember, We are in control of our actions. If I tell my daughter to clean her room and she don't she gets in trouble, If I tell myself to eat healthy and I don't I get my health in trouble. But like the 2nd quote says there is nothing wrong with asking for help and support, Think of how it can apply in other places such as; dating, car trouble, lost while driving, addictions.....I am going to pause on that one, Did you know that the 2 most common addictions are things most people would never consider? FOOD and Caffeine, I will admit both are very addictive I can start my day on an empty stomach but I don't function til I have had my energy drink (not like red bull more like energy kool-aid).
  • NoMoreJellyRolls
    Options
    Im in the same boat as everyone else! My husband is 6'2 140lbs and he is always trying to eat out at chinese or an all you can eat buffet. I need to lose atleast 100lbs more. His dad is even worse, he constantly brings cookies, cakes, and junk into my house for my kids. Ive finally gotten to the point where Ive started yelling at them and throwing the stuff away infront of them.
    My husband fave thing to say is but my worm(stomach), my worm this, my worm that. Its hard not to drop kick his sometimes :)
  • pablohaynes
    pablohaynes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a wife who puts chocolate in the salad draw in our fridge she thinks chocolate is a vegetable! but she 's lovely.
  • Ironbeak88
    Ironbeak88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There's always going to be at least one person who doesn't understand how you feel about your weight loss. I have some people who support me and others who don't.

My parents bring in junk sometimes, but I understand that's just how they eat and I don't have to eat it just because they are. You can't deprive them of their choices, that's their own thing, just like what you eat is yours.

You may feel enticed to eat the fried, greasy food, but that's when you have to get tough and...Make yourself a salad! Lmao jk, but something tasty that is also good for you. Put your foot down and just say no!

A good tip for getting around family pressuring you to eat unhealthy is to throw it back in their face! (Not literally hahaha)...Prepare a healthy, tasty home-cooked meal and encourage your "non-believers" to enjoy it with you. Keep on saying how good it tastes, how great it smells, etc. Sooner or later you'll make something they will have to try.

Also don't project the word "skinny" as well as "thin" (psychologically speaking) it's a negative word...Just like the word "no"...It's better to reach for "lean", "healthy", "toned"
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I've confronted him about this many times - the only answer he has is that he doesn't want me to 'get skinny' and run off with another man. :huh:

This is what I'm going through. I was really pissed off when he said it to me, now I just ignore it and do my thing. I'm losing weight for me and if he can't handle it then oh well.

Best of luck :smile: