SPLIT VERSUS FULL BODY PROGRAMS.

Options

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I prefer full body.. mainly because it's what I have time for. I have my trainer do full body workouts with me, and thats what he gives me copies of at the end.

I did one yesterday consisting of side shuffles, stationary lunges, step ups, side jumps, shoulder press, bicep curls, chest press and one armed rows.. between the warm up, the guy stalking me for the only set of 15 pound dumbbells, and my 30 second to a minute rest, I was outta there in 45 minutes.

I find the more I do the exercises, the more flexible I become without all the extra stretching.. IMO that stretching routine sounds too long. 5-10 minutes post workout should suffice.. my trainer told me to do 4 stretches for 30 seconds each, and it only takes me 5-10 minutes.

Editied to add: Aren't you studying to be a Personal Trainer? Shouldn't you know what is best for the goal you want and how to shorten your routine if need be?
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have been doing full body with my trainer, but need to change it up since my body has started to adjust and I want to really finish toning and losing the last 10 pounds. My trainer is switching me to a split routine for the summer (I'm off work and can train more often). I will be doing more focused exercises and be doing more upper and lower if I split between 2 days. During the school year i may switch back to total body due to time constraints......Good luck:-)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am a dancer so yes i need to stretch to maintain and improve flexibility and stop any injuries from occuring.

My question was which do you prefer? Not for you to critique the exercises I do.
  • predsfanmatt
    Options
    I'm starting Stronglifts 5x5 on Monday. It's a full body lifting routine, only 3-4 exercises and works the entire body.

Even without doing this program, full body usually only takes me about 45-60 minutes. Compound lifts are the way to go for this stuff. (Squats, Deadlifts, Presses, etc.). They work multiple muscle groups at once and are very efficient exercises for time and effectiveness.

I bet your aren't "bulking up" either are you? I can have my clients perform 4-6 exercises in a 45 minute period (after a few minutes of prep-work/warm-up) and they are exhausted. Many times ready to leave before the hour session is up. BIG MOVEMENTS = BIG RESULTS.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i do splits- but i do full body maybe every other week just to mix it up and i take as little rest as possible between exercises. i know my body very well and i know what works for me. i NEVER do the same routine twice. some people really like full but it's not for me. also, i like to work whatever body part to the FULLEST- i wouldn't be able to do this if i was doing full body all the time.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I do an upper / lower split. It takes less time in the gym than a full body, and suits me well. Plus I like to go to the gym often, if I did full body I wouldn't be able to go 2 days in a row.
    I do something similar to this, upperbody twice weekly - one day powerlifting, the other hypertrophy, lower body twice weekly - one day powerlifting, the other hypertrophy.

If you are interested, look up Layne Norton's PHAT program
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    I usually do 1 day upper, one day lower, one day full body, and straight cardio the other 2-3 days. I did a full body on Friday and I'm feeling it all over today--took me about 45 minutes and I hit every angle because I work two parts at once (i.e. plie squats with skull crushers, lunges with bicep curls, dead lift with a compound row, etc, etc). It makes me use heavier weights for my upper body as well, since my lower body is much stronger.

PS you can definitely overtrain, but you also overstretch. I know you said you're a dancer and want to increase flexibility, but stretching for too long after a good lifting session can lead to pulled muscles. If you are warming up properly, stretching and then a quick stretch at the end, flexibility will increase and soreness with subside. That's what works for me at least...
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    I usually do 1 day upper, one day lower, one day full body, and straight cardio the other 2-3 days. I did a full body on Friday and I'm feeling it all over today--took me about 45 minutes and I hit every angle because I work two parts at once (i.e. plie squats with skull crushers, lunges with bicep curls, dead lift with a compound row, etc, etc). It makes me use heavier weights for my upper body as well, since my lower body is much stronger.

PS you can definitely overtrain, but you also overstretch. I know you said you're a dancer and want to increase flexibility, but stretching for too long after a good lifting session can lead to pulled muscles. If you are warming up properly, stretching and then a quick stretch at the end, flexibility will increase and soreness with subside. That's what works for me at least...

Everyone's different.
    And I said 15-30 minutes, closer to 15 most days. That's nothing, when I was in gymnastics they'd make us stretch for an hour a day.. That's overstretching. Don't see how it's going to hurt considering my teacher at school stretches for an hour every day, even on rest days and has not had any injuries yet. Plus I feel so much limber from it...
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    I'm starting Stronglifts 5x5 on Monday. It's a full body lifting routine, only 3-4 exercises and works the entire body.

Even without doing this program, full body usually only takes me about 45-60 minutes. Compound lifts are the way to go for this stuff. (Squats, Deadlifts, Presses, etc.). They work multiple muscle groups at once and are very efficient exercises for time and effectiveness.

I bet your aren't "bulking up" either are you? I can have my clients perform 4-6 exercises in a 45 minute period (after a few minutes of prep-work/warm-up) and they are exhausted. Many times ready to leave before the hour session is up. BIG MOVEMENTS = BIG RESULTS.

This.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Notice how it said after a short warm up/prep. My best mate does the same sketches as me, no 30 minutes required. Deads 195kg and squats 170kg so maybe you could try shortening up your stretch time and see how you go for time.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Notice how it said after a short warm up/prep. My best mate does the same sketches as me, no 30 minutes required. Deads 195kg and squats 170kg so maybe you could try shortening up your stretch time and see how you go for time.

Wow, seriously? I'm gonna stop replying since you obviously aren't even reading them.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    You obviously have a problem, I'm not sure what it is but I'm just trying to help you.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    In my opinion a full body program 3 days a week is best. Notice I said "in my opinion", everyone responds differently to different types of training, but unless you have put on all the muscle you want to put on and you are just trying to put on some "finishing" touches you shouldn't be doing a lot of isolation exercises, save your energy and "time" for exercises that work the most muscles at one time. Most of the split programs you see nowadays were thought up by some roided up meat head or his trainer who has no idea how to train a "natural" trainee. And if it is taking more than 50 or 60 minutes to complete your routine, not counting warm up and stretching, then something needs to be changed.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    You obviously have a problem, I'm not sure what it is but I'm just trying to help you.

Have a problem with what? According to you I'm not ALLOWED to stretch but maybe you should read up on the reasons that i do. A) A goal of mine is to improve flexibility for dancing, just like you have to lift heavy weights to build muscle you need to stretch to become more flexible. B) It stops me from injuring myself. C) I have back problems which when I don't stretch become waay too tense and hurts way too much to even sit up straight. Just because some random on the net thinks I should stop stretching does that mean I am going to? No.
  • spartacus69
    spartacus69 Posts: 235
    Options
    As I've gotten older I've found I need more recovery time after a heavy workout, so a split suits me better. But the weight workouts are still around 60 minutes including warmup and some dynamic stretching afterwards. A split does not mean diminished volume or intensity.

If needed, I'll also spend a good deal of time stretching out with a foam roller, esp. the IT band, lower back and hamstrings. I've had too many sessions with a physical therapist ... stretching keeps me out of PT.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Yes, your question was about splitting verses full body because you want to find a way to save time. Well every one has suggested that pehaps your stretching is taking up too much time and that is why your over all workouts take longer than the average person. Fine if you want to contine to stretch for that long than that is totally your perogative, but it will be next to impossible even with split programs to shorten your work out to less than 50 mins, if you take into account a 5 min warm up, and a 15 min stretch after. Of course people are asking about your routein, and questioning your stretching because the question YOU asked is a timing one too, otherwise, you maybe just should have asked the actual question which is "Discuss the pros and cons of each, ie full body versus split programs" with out all the extra life story. All of us have tried to suggest ways that your workout could be more time effiecent, and the only thing you have been is defensive.

If you are not really interested in changing anything then why ask for advice. All we have done it try to help.

To answer your question, pros and cons, split workouts will be shorter, yes, but you will have to do it more often to get a good work out. A time efficient all over body work out (where your aim to his several muscles with each move) IMO would be a better option for your needs.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Most recent research indicates that preworkout stretching can be counter productive and post workout stretching is fairly unessesary. You could shorten your strength routines by eliminating the stretching day of and so some stretching or yoga on your off days. This is probably not something you are going to like to hear as you seem pretty adamant that you need to stretch. I don't have time right now but I'll post some of the research later of I can. You could certainly find it with an internet search. FTR, I'm 61, lift with heavy, compound full body routines, don't do any static stretching and only a little dynamic stretching (the more recommended method) before my routine and none after. I've had no injuries and have great flexibility.
  • jaweiss1
    jaweiss1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    After two years of fully body workouts, I moved to a two day split. I find that am less sore and less fatigued and making more progress by having two full days of recovery between a particular exercise. Keep in mind that I have to set up my workouts around two chronic injuries (rotator cuff tear, FAI), so I can't do many compound exercises such as squat, deadlift, cleans, etc.

My 5 day workout looks like this:

Mon, Thurs - chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps
    Tuesday, Friday - legs, glutes, back, abs
    cardio on Wed and also Mon, Fri as time allows

This kind of split is done differently if you are focused on compound lifts. If this is your situation, you could do something like this:

Mon, Thurs - bench press and related
    Tues, Fri - squatting and deadlifting

The book "Practical Programming for Strength Training" by Rippetoe and Pendlay is a good place to start. They give specific example programs. From the end of Chapter 6:

"At some point, usually between the third and ninth month of training, the standard variations on linear progression will have been exhausted, and training will need to be organized into weekly periods, instead of the workout-to-workout periods that characterize the novice phase. At this point, the trainee can be considered an intermediate."

Google "The Texas Method" and "The Starr Model" for a starting point.

And I stretch every day for 15 minutes, at 45 it's just part of life like brushing your teeth.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    For novice lifters, full-body will typically yield faster results, as lighter weights mean faster recovery time. If you can hit all your major muscle groups 3x/week, then DO IT. Once you progress to the point that recovery is limited, and progress becomes very slow, introducing a split (2-day alternating or 3-day... 4-day or more is not necessary for anyone who is not an 'advanced' lifter) will allow progress to continue. For a novice, a split will yield slower results than full-body every workout. Hope that helps clear it up :)

Strength standards calculator: strstd.com
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Quite the opposite. I've been "leaning out" as I like to call it. My muscle tissue is firmer and more noticeable, and I'm starting to see some nice definition from fat losses. I'm noticeably smaller around the waist, hips, and arms as well. I love it.

I'm looking forward to Stronglifts for even better results.