Natural body weight?

Options
I'm not really overweight... I would just love to slim down. I was always an athlete, but as I get older and further away from competitive sports I'm realizing that muscle isn't easy to maintain. My legs, especially, are muscular and I've been self conscious about them for years. I would KILL to slim them down. But it seems like everytime I lose a few pounds, it comes back within a month or two and I just seem to stay at this 155 range. It's within the healthy weight range for my height and age, but I CAN'T SEEM TO STAY SLIM!! It's so frustrating.
In a nutrition class they talked about an individuals set weight and how people might have a natural set body weight that is heavier than they would like it to be... What are your thoughts on this and does anyone have hints how to just stay slim and toned. I'd love to get rid of some of this bulkier muscle without it turning to fat...
Long story short, I'd love some ideas/hints...
Thanks!

Replies

• lolo7224
    lolo7224 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi. Your story sounds just like mine. My thighs are very muscular and I have always wished for long and lean. I know it's genetics, but I am very self-conscious of mine legs too.
    However, the closest I came to seeing a real difference was pilates. They are a wonderful way to thin you out. I have been traveling a lot for work, so taking set classes hasn't worked out for me. But hopefully this fall/winter!
    Right now, I am trying only cardio (running, elliptical) to shed some extra pounds.

Let me know if you hear of anything else!!!
  • mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'm not really overweight... I would just love to slim down. I was always an athlete, but as I get older and further away from competitive sports I'm realizing that muscle isn't easy to maintain. My legs, especially, are muscular and I've been self conscious about them for years. I would KILL to slim them down. But it seems like everytime I lose a few pounds, it comes back within a month or two and I just seem to stay at this 155 range. It's within the healthy weight range for my height and age, but I CAN'T SEEM TO STAY SLIM!! It's so frustrating.
    In a nutrition class they talked about an individuals set weight and how people might have a natural set body weight that is heavier than they would like it to be... What are your thoughts on this and does anyone have hints how to just stay slim and toned. I'd love to get rid of some of this bulkier muscle without it turning to fat...
    Thanks!

One of my friends who is a fitness trainer said that women should do a small amount of weight with ALOT of repetitions. This will strengthen the muscles, but in a lean way instead of bulking them up. Maybe focus on leg strength training and just lower the weight that you are lifting.

Hope that helps!

E
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I am built the same way, but I do have a lot to lose on top of the muscle mass............

Pilates and Yoga create lengthening and toning of the muscles, so it will tone and slim you.................

I am finding Pilates works fantastically!!!
  • pickadilly2009
    pickadilly2009 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I was a gymnast and ice skater for most of my youth. Leg muscle mass....oh man! I took a kick boxing class, 2 nights a week that was 60 min and it has really slimmed my legs down. I also noticed the little fat blob at the top inner thigh...is getting smaller. I am trying to lose weight but have only lost 9 lbs since May so I know it isn't just the weight going away, I am reshaping my legs and they truely are less massive looking. I would give squats, leg lifts and lunges a try! I bet you will see the diff. pretty quickly.