Polar FT7 Calories V Garmin Calories

Options
Hi

I have just been out on my bike with a new toy :) A Garmin Edge with HRM. I usually use a Polar FT7 HRM when exercising so today decided to use both so as to compare.

My Polar said that I had burned 332 calories
My Garmin said that I had burned 257 calories.

I have checked the settings on both and they are the same, ie weight, age etc

I feel sure that you will all recommend that I go by the lower reading when counting calories but this is quite a big difference. I have been burning an average of 600 calories with my Polar during my exercise sessions and am now worried that this has been over the top.

Can anyone explain this difference or offer any advice on which device to rely on?

Many thanks :)

Replies

• ulmers2
    ulmers2 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm curious to know this as well. I use a Garmin and it consistently gives me a lower calorie burn than MFP by a significant amount! I don't want to buy another HRM because I use my Garmin for running and cycling, but I'd like to know if the burn I'm recording is accurate!
  • clovr24
    clovr24 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My garmin reads a lot lower than my polar as well. I think the polar is more accurate. Kind of disappointing, but I just use the garmin for running an the polar for everything else.
  • lovesweetlove
    Options
    I have always heard Polar is one of the most accurate HRMs. I use a GPS app and my Polar, and Polar is always a bit higher but I go with that.
  • Sammils
    Sammils Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you, just worried about way overestimating. Prefer the Polar reading though lol :)