Any other naturals here?

Options

Replies

• msaap
    msaap Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've been natural for about 4 1/2 years, and haven't used heat in about a year. I have thick as hell 4a/4b mixture hair. It's just pass BL now, but I keep this stuff in a pony tail bun all the time. I've recently started thinking about cutting it to my shoulders, because I am so sick of it. I love my hair and I love the fact that it grows so well, although I don't have what most people consider the "ideal" hair type. Seriously, I can't begin to tell you how many people tell me they don't know how I deal with my natural hair and that they would get a relaxer.
  • torylinnangel
    torylinnangel Posts: 253
    Options
    I have never died my hair. But it did turn a lighter shade of blonde while I was on the competition swim team.
  • JConstine
    JConstine Posts: 69
    Options
    I tried to go natural and stop with the relaxers but it hurts so bad to comb my hair in it's natural state. It brought back bad memories from my childhood lol. It's just too much but I have much respect for my sisters out there sporting their natural locks.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing my hair natural for about four years. It took a long time to grow out the relaxer, even though I was getting a very mild one just to provide some control.

At around the age of nine or 10, I got my first relaxer, which was industrial strength and rough on my hair. At around 16, I had my hair cut off into an Afro, which was very unflattering, and some people thought I was a boy. I grew my hair out, but back then no one had any ideas for what to do with natural hair that wasn't short so I had to go back to relaxing it.

When my hair looks good, which it often does, I love it, but there are still days when it's a work in progress. I hope I and other people are making the world a little easier for kids with curly/kinky hair. The idea that only straight hair is beautiful, professional, etc. is crazy, not to mention damaging.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    I tried to go natural and stop with the relaxers but it hurts so bad to comb my hair in it's natural state. It brought back bad memories from my childhood lol. It's just too much but I have much respect for my sisters out there sporting their natural locks.

If you ever try again, you should only comb your hair when it's wet and is coated with conditioner. It's even better to comb your hair with your fingers. That DOES require patience. I hate combing my hair.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    Note: When African American women, or other women of color with some African ancestry, use "natural," they usually mean that they are not using a chemical relaxer on hair that is tightly coiled, curly, or kinky. Many of them do color their hair.
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm a natural pink.:happy:
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    im so glad im lucky to have natural red hair. my hair is wavy, so if i want, i can just brush it a lot and its straight. if i get out of the shower and just towel dry my hair, its curly. all i have to do is just brush my hair and go. no products or anything. i hated my red hair when i was growing up. now i love it.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Natural. Used to fight the curl - now my mornings are stress-free! (Well, with respect to my hair, anyway...)
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Ive been natural since 2007 now, then started curly girl method in 2009. Thats made a big diff to the condition of my hair. I use lots of oil and co-wash daily - its longer and healthier than I could ahve imagined. I could do with getting better at styling my hair - I grew up with it cut short and am a bit clueless
  • reactor25
    reactor25 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Before I went natural;

7233511854_f86756956c.jpg

7233511500_9bd2c1cd46.jpg

7233511222_2c7cd9e6a0.jpg

7233510984_ec47e9bab0.jpg

After going natural;

7233512098_f988aa2168.jpg

7233512802_b8dc6f8087.jpg

7233513076_a097b1a783.jpg

7233510856_078c6b4631.jpg

7233511756_1419189c10.jpg

7233655724_1c4fbd7c79.jpg

The after pictures are from last year. My hair is in similar condition right now, albeit not as long or thick. But I am upping the ante and caring for it again. Trying to maintain length and gain thickness.

These are a lot of my inspirations/hair crushes;

chime51-293x540.jpg Chimes (4a/b hair)

7233653482_0fcc0b8f1d.jpg

7233658458_584dcb3126.jpg

7233657814_d3b7f29565.jpg

7233657352_d979c5a377.jpg

7233656212_61f18a4aaf.jpg

7233645208_a0d9969852.jpg

7233655918_8f5b39fae3.jpg

7233656804_552b134a4c.jpg (I LOVE her hair. She has the same/similar hair type to mine, and it's long)

It's well worth it ladies ;)

You are gorgeous and so is your hair. That is exactly what I would pick if I could pick my hair. I actually like the befores and the afters-- they both look good to me! I have thin straight hair that won't even take a curl, not even a perm. I've tried twice!
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I haven't dyed my hair in a long time. Also, I switched to handmade, natural shampoo bars (chagrin valley) and use an apple cider vinegar conditioner rinse. I'm 1/4 black - so my hair is wavy/curly with a tendency to dry out. It is growing very fast, but I'm almost at a point where I need something more for it...just haven't figured out what.

I was thinking of using a coffee stain to take care of my greys. There are online resources on how to brew your own.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    natural brunette with some natural greys over here
  • omanitshann
    omanitshann Posts: 179
    Options
    I've had natural hair my entire life. I think most people look better their natural color
  • JenivaDoll
    JenivaDoll Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I used to dye/get perms, but I've been natural for about 2 months... I rarely ever blow dry my hair, either! My hair always feels so brittle after a blow dryer. Plus, I live in FL so the heat here basically does all the drying for me! I dyed it a light brown, and I really like the color.. I'm tempted to dye again, but then I remember how damaged my hair got.
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    Been natural 12 months...I don't know if I'm a 4abc or 4xyz...when it's wet and conditioned its defined curls, even in the kinkiest part. I think I'm a 3b in my looser parts. But when its dry it looks like a cotton ball.

I love Chimes/HairCrush. I want her hair so bad :(. That is my goal (or a bit shorter)

I never bc, but I have been transitioning..its too short to cut all the relaxed hair out (6 inches stretched), will transition for another year before cutting out all my relaxed hair

I really don't know how to do natural hair, since its been relaxed since I was 7. I wore it in a bun for 2 weeks, just trying to see if I was capable of making it look nice on my own. I'm not. So I just wear it in cornrows and box braids with synthetic hair. Which works fine since I want to go to the gym every day. I only blow dry and flat press it every 3 months, right before I get it trimmed (as well as for special occasions)
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I dyed my hair black a few years ago, and actually loved it, but decided that it was too much work to keep up, so let it grow out to my natural color again. It's not an exciting color, but it does cost a lot less to maintain, and since grey hair is not a concern yet, I think it'll stay this way for a while :smile:
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Your hair is super gorgeous. I just cut the last couple of inches of relaxed hair off. I still have a ton of hair so I just went with it. I have no idea what these different hair types mean. I haven't really researched natural hair at all. I just know I like my waves and my hair is a lot healthier without putting the gunk in it.

Where's a good resource for figuring all this stuff out? I need some tips on what to use on my hair because my mother was clueless so I pretty much have been winging it all my life.

I just looked my type up and I would say I'm a 2b or 2c.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Your hair is super gorgeous. I just cut the last couple of inches of relaxed hair off. I still have a ton of hair so I just went with it. I have no idea what these different hair types mean. I haven't really researched natural hair at all. I just know I like my waves and my hair is a lot healthier without putting the gunk in it.

Where's a good resource for figuring all this stuff out? I need some tips on what to use on my hair because my mother was clueless so I pretty much have been winging it all my life.

I just looked my type up and I would say I'm a 2b or 2c.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/
    http://www.longhaircommunity.com/
    http://www.longhairart.com/forum.php
    http://www.rapunzelsdelight.com/feed_forums/long_hair_community.html
  • pinkhu13
    pinkhu13 Posts: 133
    Options
    Me! I'll be one year fully natural July 20th :)