Im I doing this right?

Options
I have been on a calorie count of 1200, per day, since April. As i had issues with weighing myself, I dont know how I progressed during this period until May, when I finally got the courage to do so. Stupid I know. Since then I have been using Fitness Pal and found it really helpful. I have lost 8 pounds, since 7th May .! Iam very unfit but have started going to the gym 4-5 times per week, burning aprox 250 cals per session. Iam so new to this, so im I doing enough excercise ? I was also a bit gutted as I seem to have put on 2 llbs, when I weighed myself, yesterday. Im assuming it is water retention, as Iam due my period next week. Would it be useful to use water retention pills to balance this out, or do I have to grin and bare it! Cheers!

Replies

• lovinmysoldier
    lovinmysoldier Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    There are so many factors that go into your weight. First of all, remember the scale is just a tool, it isn't the ultimate deciding factor in your efforts. You could be the best at everything you eat and do and still the scale may not reflect your efforts. It's all about creating a healthier version of you.

Congrats on getting moving! That will definitely aid in your weight loss efforts. Remember weight loss is 75% what you eat, 25% how much you work out. As hard as you work for those 250 calories remember how quickly it is to eat that much and more.

For you I'd focus on weighing in once a week, preferably first thing in the morning and in the nude (if possible). If you don't have a scale than be mindful of what you've eaten/drank and what you are wearing when you weigh yourself. Weighing first thing in the morning in the nude, takes out all those other random factors that could affect the scale. After a few months you quickly notice a pattern. Like for me, I always weigh more a couple days before my period. And I am always at my lightest on mid-late week and then go up slightly over the weekend and then back down again. Knowing this, helps to keep me from freaking out when I see the scale moving the wrong way.

Also, personally I'm all about not taking a bunch of things (medications, supplements, etc...) that in the long run really won't make a difference. Our bodies are amazing things and really don't need a lot of those over the counter meds we like to use. Your body is designed to do that, don't mess with mother nature, besides all those OTC meds have side effects and concerns of their own. Everything will work out in the end, patience!

Another tool I found helpful was www.intense-workout.com , go under the Lose Weight tab, he spells out how to figure out how many calories you should be consuming to maintain and how to adjust that to lose. Also adjustments you can make to tweak that generic formula for you and your body. I love his information, he's all about minimal supplements and not trying to sell you anything. Just good information!

Hope this helps, it definitely sounds like you are on the right track. This is truly a process, there is no rush or timeline, this is your life. You will get where you need to go one step at a time, and sometimes a couple jumps and leaps in there and also a few setbacks every now and then. Ultimately as long as you are working towards a goal, and you are living and loving life that's all that matters.

Best of luck!!
    -Amy
  • leslieirving1970
    leslieirving1970 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for thr reply....had a look at the website you recommended. Lots of good info, ill be looking further into that.
    Seem to be stalling, at the moment but Im putting that down to water retention!
    Cheers