STUCK!!

Options
Ok... I started at 268 and am down about 30 pounds since January. I was started on synthroid in November (lost about 7 pounds between Thanksgiving and New Years... So about 40 pounds total since the synthroid started). I joined a gym in January and go 2-3 times a week (mostly cardio) I also do aqua zumba once a week (exercise and a mommy break). I've had pretty steady weight loss (a few ups and downs but the general trend is down). But for the last 2 weeks I've been stuck. Down a pound up a pound.... It's really frustrating! I've been doing well making my own food (maybe eat out once a week). I started seeing a personal trainer (once a week and this is the second week) to add some strength training (mostly machine or trx). On "off" days I try to get some real world exercise in (I have two boys under 4). I try to eat back some of the exercise calories (my daily goal is 1400ish so I try to stay around that net). I am usually within 100 of that (almost always under).

What do I need to change? This type of thing is where I start losing motivation, and I don't want to give up.

I still measure everything (food scale). I recently had my thyroid level checked and it's still good (it's up from last time but still only like 2).

I am working on drinking more water but have cut back on soda (maybe 1 or 2 a week now, mostly when out to dinner since I don't drink alcohol).

I've also increased my percentage of protein and decreased my percentage of fat (that little graph thing on the mobile ap that shows you your percentage of nutritional info).

HELP!

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Standard prescription:

Eat more.

Try upping your daily calories by about 200 for 3 weeks and see where that gets you.
  • odumsmith00
    odumsmith00 Posts: 25
    Options
    THANKS!
    Standard prescription:

Eat more.

Try upping your daily calories by about 200 for 3 weeks and see where that gets you.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I think you need to eat more. Set your goal to lose 1 pound per week - eat what MFP tells you to and you will probably see a 2 pound per week loss.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that you need to eat more. Have you calculated your bmr?
    You can do it here: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

That's the minimum amount of calories you should eat. At 228, mine is 1700, so I'm guessing yours should be more.
    You can also check the "eat more weigh less" group.
    Good luck!

PS: don't underestimate how active you are by taking care of two little boys under 4!
  • Soozie1978
    Soozie1978 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If you are recently diagnosed hypothyroid, see if your doctor will do bloodwork and possibly adjust your medication. You will probably need to do this every few months until you find the right level for you. As my doctor explained it to me several years ago, once you start supplementing the lacking thyroid in your system, your body may produce even less than it was before, thinking that it is getting enough. Then you will need to up the supplement periodically until you get to the level at which you feel most "normal" and your symptoms are gone. Depending on your doctor, it sometimes takes a few changes there, too, until you find one who will listen to you about your symptoms, not just look at lab numbers.
  • odumsmith00
    odumsmith00 Posts: 25
    Options
    My doc and I are actually really good. Because of other stuff that was going on that could explain my number he didn't want to mess with it over such a short period. If I continue to feel a bit crappy and such he'll up it again but since I am on so little (50mcg) increasing it to the next size could throw me hyper so he wants to take a wait and see approach for another couple of weeks since my labs are low.

Thanks!
    If you are recently diagnosed hypothyroid, see if your doctor will do bloodwork and possibly adjust your medication. You will probably need to do this every few months until you find the right level for you. As my doctor explained it to me several years ago, once you start supplementing the lacking thyroid in your system, your body may produce even less than it was before, thinking that it is getting enough. Then you will need to up the supplement periodically until you get to the level at which you feel most "normal" and your symptoms are gone. Depending on your doctor, it sometimes takes a few changes there, too, until you find one who will listen to you about your symptoms, not just look at lab numbers.