exercise machine calorie counters

Options
ck2d
ck2d Posts: 372 Member
Do you trust the numbers they give you? Because I can burn way more calories (according to the machines at my gym) sitting down on a bike than I can running on an elliptical. Don't think so! Judging by my heart rate and sweat I am definitely doing more work on the elliptical! The machines at my gym are about 1/6 what the charts say. So should I go with the piddley numbers on the machines or go by estimates?

Replies

• Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    NO NO NO NO NO. They are SOOOOO WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off that it's not even funny.
  • iheartlife
    Options
    NO NO NO NO NO. They are SOOOOO WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off that it's not even funny.

Okay, so I know the machine display tipically spits a pack of lies in the calorie area. How then, do you estimate your calories burned?
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    I personally wear a heart rate monitor. You can get them pretty cheap on overstock or woot.com. They are the BEST money ever spent if you are serious about losing weight. I don't go for a certain time goal anymore when I work out, I go for a certain calorie goal now.

I actually found out that I was burning MORE calories than what the machine was saying so I was cheating myself.

A lot of the time people will find out that they burn less so that's a really important factor to note.
  • Jerid1330
    Jerid1330 Posts: 6
    Options
    Heart rate monitors, best thing ever!!!

try to get one with a chest strap, they are much more accurate, though I find it to be somewhat uncomfortable.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    Yeah......The chest strap can be annoying sometimes....especially since I wear two sports bras but it is WAAAAY more accurate.