Hello All and Some Tips

Options
Venturin
Venturin Posts: 244 Member
After reading these forums you all seem like a helpful, friendly lot so let me say hello.

I'm a 49 year old guy from Maryland who managed to quit smoking about 6 years ago and the only bad result in that was I gained weight. A photograph taken of me about 14 months ago made me realize how big I had gotten and it triggered a kernel of an idea to lose weight that has blossomed into a steel resolve.

A year ago I started hiking and exercising regularly and made some progress but then hit a plateau. The name of the plateau is "portion control". Now that Spring has arrived I have decided to work harder and focus much more on my goal. I think MFP is going to help primarily with the 'Food' tab which will help me realize just how quickly daily calories can add up. I've already made much progress in just a week (lost 10 pounds through vigorous hiking, healthy portion control at meals and I've just begun trying to train my body to run)

I've been reading everything; websites, magazine, books and have been incorporating much of what I read into my daily schedule and have developed a very strong resolve to see this through.

Here are my tips for success;

1. Find a local park with nice hiking trails and go out and explore! Find a trail you love and go as often as you can. Pack lots of water, and a nice lunch with a focus on protein. Buy a hydration backpack (it has a water bladder built in)

2. Research healthy food. STOP all of the fast food. Just stop! I never leave my house anymore without a little cooler of water and healthy foods to bring with me. Apples, a banana, peanut butter celery sticks, tuna. Healthy proteins. Protein helps keep you feeling full longer and also helps rebuild muscle as you work out.

3. Drink green tea, or use green tea supplements. It's a terrific fat burner. 3 times a day (or more if you are drinking it)

4. Buy a pedometer and get out and walk/hike/jog/run. Music truly does help your workouts, but be safe with ear buds outdoors. One of the greatest, simplest calorie burning exercises I've founds is the 'walk/run/walk" method. Start walking, then try running as long as you can, then walk while you regain control of your breath, and run again when you are able. Intervals work! I've been doing this for a week now and already I can run longer, my lungs are adapting and, again, I lost 10 pounds!

Anyone can lose weight, and it really is quite simple. It can also be a lot of fun. You simply have to;

A) Really want it

B) Get out and exercise at least every other day and don't just do a 1 mile walk and be done. Mix it up. Find a large variety of exercise and do them all regularly Track your progress. This is why I use a pedometer

C) Eat healthy, control portions, track calories and maintain a healthy calorie deficiency daily

D) Never give up, never surrender!

E) Realize this is a positive change for you so make it fun!

F) Realize that you are in a marathon, it's not a sprint. Long term goals come with setbacks. Just keep moving. Makes the pluses outweigh the minuses and you will be ok

Over the last year I have developed a fun plan for myself which includes great foods I love (roasted brussels sprouts, soo good!), hiking in a wonderful local state park, and a moderate weight lifting routine. I feel stronger, more balanced and a lot smarter about healthy living. Good luck to all of you

Replies

• marielouisehilton
    Options
    I love this, really sensible and achievable tips that are easy to live by and make a difference.

Thank you for sharing :o) and good luck as you continue your adventures...
  • Venturin
    Options
    Thanks Mary Louise ;)
  • MargotAllen
    MargotAllen Posts: 63
    Options
    Love it!
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Some great tips and I love your positive attitude
  • pat6250
    pat6250 Posts: 90
    Options
    Thank you for the pep talk. I was just discouraged, but I know that your common sense is the direction I need to take.:tongue:
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Very helpful =) Thanks. Good luck to you!
  • lkapcar
    lkapcar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking.
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    great tips thank you
  • maryaroy32
    maryaroy32 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Great post. I wholeheartedly agree with your comments on fast food. Not only is it bad for you, one can pretty much count on still being hungry after eating it. Everything is fried and breaded and fried and did I mention breaded? Lol anyway, good tips.
  • Layla315
    Layla315 Posts: 2
    Options
    Great job on quitting smoking...I'm trying to do that myself ... and thanks for the great tips.
  • stringband
    stringband Posts: 3
    Options
    thak you for the helpful tips and best wishes !
  • Venturin
    Options
    Thanks all for the kind words. This is a great community! To the person who said he/she had been discouraged, don't give up! Just make up your mind you really want this, and find out how you can do it in a way that you love.

This has become a really fun hobby for me, and when I find something I like I read EVERYTHING and find things that I can do that are fun for me. Find out how to make it fun (set goals and revel in their completion, find foods you love, exercise to music you like) and take this Spring and Summer season and see how far you can go.

Good luck!
  • nannanorem
    nannanorem Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Great words! Thank you! :bigsmile: You reminded me that I needed to drink my tea yet today. I also want ti quit smoking but I'm afraid I would gain weight. I am a nurse with a stressful job andI know for a fact that I stress eat. Maybe someday I can quit. Your an inspiration :smile:
  • saundeec
    saundeec Posts: 9
    Options
    These are super helpful. Thank you so much for posting this!!!
  • paulaann67
    paulaann67 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You have the right attitude & a lot of common sense! Keep up the great work & great on quitting smoking I'm 8 years free of them myself & as you& I now know if you can quit smoking you can do ANYTHING!!:smile:
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    congrats on quitting of the coffin nails and thank you for the great advice. It really is helpful to hear it from someone else.
  • Venturin
    Options
    Thanks all and yes if you can quit smoking (and you can!) you can do anything, even keep the weight off. So don't let potential weight gain deter you from quitting. If you are on this website with such supportive people as we have here, how could you possibly fail?