Am I doomed to cry....every single time?

Options

Replies

• nikki_1979
    nikki_1979 Posts: 57
    Options
    My grandma always recommended holding a wooden matchstick in your mouth while you're chopping an onion. I don't know why, but it has always worked for me, without fail.

^^^This works.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Wear swimming goggles.
    A swimming mask is even better because it covers your nose.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The stuff that makes you cry is because it turns to sulphuric acid when it hits your eyes. So make sure it is captured by some other water before it reaches your eyes - chop them next to a running tap.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Goggles are the only thing that works without damaging the onion. Freezing them and chilling them are both bad ideas, because the cold kills off flavor compounds in the onion. Same reason you don't chill tomatoes.

Don't cut through the root, as that is where the majority of the sulphur compounds are.
  • jamesblood13
    jamesblood13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I wear glasses when cutting them. Usually sun glasses cos they're more wrap around and cover more of my eyes.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Just chop it very very quickly before the Amino acid sulfoxides form sulfenic acids and then propanethiol S-oxide (from the alliinases enzymes) , propanethiol S-oxide is the stuff that makes you cry.

Or one could denature the enzymes beforehand (boil the onion or go the other way.) although it does smell a bit but will not burn your eyes.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Ha I was expecting this to say "when I step on the scale" or something lol.

I do not like onions... So I don't have this problem! My mother used to make me peel them as a child, though. I always cried. Maybe it was also because I just didn't want to peel them, though.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I put on sunglasses. Granted, I get a weird look from whoever walks in but hey, I know what I'm doing. :glasses:
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm lucky, peeling onions doesn't bother me. Come to think of it, household ammonia doesn't bother me either.
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I just cut very fast then look away. I also think you get a little used to it later on.

I do this too. Sometimes, if I'm in the mood, I peel and chop about 20 onions and pack them away into tubs in the fridge so that I don't have to keep doing it.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I usually have a cry baby chop up my onions.
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    throw it in the freezer about 10 minutes before you chop, or keep them in your refrigerator. Something with the cold keeps you from tearing up.

Genius!
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I've never cried around an onion! I never understood. I can peel them without so much as a tear... which is funny, because my nose runs all day by itself.
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Refrigerating the onion reduces the release of the volitile chemicals, also, most of them are released by cutting into the root end. Ever since I started leaving the roots intact 'til the very end and keeping the onions in the fridge, I cry very, very little. I don't think I did at all last time come to think of it.
  • ScientistStudy
    ScientistStudy Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I stick my tongue out. Doesn't really work though :laugh:
  • GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    i've heard chewing gum works!
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    Wear swimming goggles.
    A swimming mask is even better because it covers your nose.

I think I'm gonna try this with the snorkle attached...I wonder if my husband will call for the men in white coats to haul me off to a padded room?

I've tried all the tricks...I just plan on balling my eyes out when I chop 'em!:sad:
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Buy pre cut onions ;-). Mind you I very rarely eat onions as I'm not a big fan of them...
  • musicmrse
    musicmrse Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The matchstick works but you have to keep your mouth open (just your teeth closed around it) and you have to put it in before the first cut, or it won't work.
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    strangely as a chef I don't have this issue very often. I did last time but I hadn't had this issue for a while before that, i think it might be to do with the way you chop it tbh !