Restricted Diet - Help

Currently I am working with a nurse that asked me to cut starches and sugars from my diet. I have a feeling that I cannot eat fruit. Does anyone know the definite answer?

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Maybe you need more specific information from whoever you're working with. That's awfully unhelpful a statement.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    You defiantly need some more specific info. There are different types of sugars, processed refined sugars that are added to things, and natural sugars from fruits. They are not equal.
  • MamaD7
    MamaD7 Posts: 2
    I have done that in the past and as a result generally don't eat too much pasta, rice, bread or potatoes. You may find it difficult to cut these four food items in the beginning, but once you figure things out, its not that bad. I spoke to my doctor about it and he said basically everything is so refined these days - well, potatoes being the exception - that we don't even need bread, rice or pasta in our diets. Eat as you normally do, but when having a hotdog for example, have it minus the bun....add some veggies or a salad or coleslaw and you won't even miss the bun. There are lots of ways to do this and lots of substitutes that make it so you don't even realize you are missing something. Hope that helps!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Try to get more specifics. Are you on a diet for a specific condition? Some medical conditions (Diabetes, PCOS, insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome) require you to cut your carbs to maintain a healthy insulin level. On those then yes you would need to cut out most fruits.

The nurse should have given you an acceptable limit. It is hard to cut out all "sugars" which are basically carbohydrates and still maintain a healthy variety in your diet. The reason is everything but meat has carbs. That includes all vegetables as well.

You should ask for more specifics and found out what your net intake of carbs should be. From there then you can possibly work in a serving of fruit a day but you would want to stick to low carb fruits (berries, melons, papaya) so you can enjoy a variety of veggies for the day as well.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Currently I am working with a nurse that asked me to cut starches and sugars from my diet. I have a feeling that I cannot eat fruit. Does anyone know the definite answer?

Nurses aren't legally allowed to prescribe diets, that's why she won't give you specifics. If you are needing to do a special diet for medical reasons, ask for a referral to a Registered Dietitian.

To answer your question, though, yes fruit is mostly sugar (simple carbohydrate) and starch (which is a polysaccaride or complex carbohydrate), so if you have to cut carbs they may not want you to eat fruits. If you are just needing to decrease the glycemic index of your food intake, though, you may be able to eat fruit with fat or protein in order to slow down the process of digestion and therefore the blood sugar spike from eating carbs.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member

Eat lower sugar fruits such as berries, melons, apples, pears, peaches, nectarines.

They has less of a glycemic load.
  • bklarkow
    bklarkow Posts: 5
    I am working with a registered nurse on this. I am thinking it is more of the grain and processed sugar for the diet. I will be asking her specifically but cannot do that until Tuesday. Thanks