Sugar Crash? Weird mood after "cheat" day.

Options
cspong
cspong Posts: 260 Member
Hey everyone!

So, I don't really do the whole "cheat day" thing. but my husband and I went to the drive-in last night and even though I stayed in my calorie goal, I ate a lot of candy. I didn't eat candy much before I started MFP and have had almost none since joining.

I woke up this morning after sleeping in to 11am (which I never do), and I've been feeling really blah and down.

Do you think it's from what I ate? Has anyone experienced this?

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. When I've had some weak moments that resulted in me making poor choices, eating foods I normally do not eat and in large quantities it makes me feel awful, physically AND mentally.

I have woke up literally feeling like I had a hangover. Crabby, tired, sluggish, sometimes a headache, absolutely no motivation for the day. No doubt it's a sugar high and then crash. Been there, done that! :frown:
  • wendyrvp
    wendyrvp Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It could definately be physical reaction, but I know for me its usually a shame or regret thing that hangs over for a bit. Even when I stay in my calories, I feel like I have somehow failed when I eat off my normal meal plan. So drink lots of water and move on. You said you dont normally do this, so one day won't make or break you. Hope you feel better soon.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I think this must effect people differently but for me I have my Re-Feed day on Saturdays and all the extra carbs are great for me because I use Sunday's as my endurance exercise day.. So the extra carb load for me anyway works very well... Yesterday a had Fair Fries with vinegar at the 4 wheel jamboree, went to BW3 for Lunch/supper and polished off 12 wings and a bacon cheesebuger with Onion rings and hit the local Ice cream stand for a peanut butter cup blizzard... (typical Cheat day for us, only difference would be replace the Fair fries with Movie popcorn cause we normally go to the movies on Saturday) So this morning first thing we gear up and hit the trails and got a nice 6.5 mile walk (2 hours and 20 minutes) in and burnt 1100 calories (per my Polar FT60) Like I said my approach is what works for me and I have lost alittle weight in the process but I don't get a crash of any kind, if anything it gives me a nice source of carbs storage to pull from the following day for energy..

Best of Luck
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    yea its for sure from the candy. For me that reaction happens within an hour of eating sugar. I get really sluggish and depressed till I eat some pure protein and sleep it off. Its actually worse than a hangover lol.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I always get really awful nightmares when I get out of control. It keeps me from doing it. I rarely eat too much crappy food anymore. I guess my body is stopping me before it gets out of hand. The older I am getting, the more I pay attention to the way I feel after I eat food, The food that makes me feel crappy I have just stopped eating all together. Gluten, ice cream, heavy sauces and yoghurt are just a few things I can no longer tolerate.
  • saraht131
    saraht131 Posts: 86
    Options
    Yep - after I eat stuff like lots of sweets or crisps I get "food hangover" the next day.