ex smokers

Options
so i have seen a lot of you our there who have been smoke free for a long time and i have tried a few times to quit. i dont get many cravings like one or two a day but when they hit they hit hard. so any one got any tips for me

Replies

• mead
    mead Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i have been smoke free for two and a halfs years now and i still get cravings i just eat a fruit or veggie cerley is a real good one or i start to clean the house. it helped me :drinker:
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    two and a half years and you still get them!!!!!:grumble: how often?
  • zksammons
    zksammons Posts: 9
    Options
    Well I haven't been smoke-free for a really long time (I smoked my last cigarette at 11:55 p.m. on New Year's Eve - so a little over 6 months now.) but I had a hard time the first month or so ... mostly because my husband and ALL our friends and some family smoke. When I would get hit hard by a craving ... I'd just pray and ask God for strength. I know that sounds a little cliche, but it's what I did. I have NO will power .... which is why I'm about 50 pounds overweight, but I made it through with God's power. The 4-6 weeks will be tough, but after that you'll only have to fight an occasional craving here and there - in stressful situations, around other smokers, etc.

I can't quit consider myself a non-smoker just yet. I quit smoking throughout both of my pregnancies so the LONGEST I've been without a cigarette is 10 months ... but the difference between now and then is that now I WANT to stay quit ... before I just quit because I was pregnant and I had to.

Another thing that I heard helps is whenever you get a really bad craving ... get online and read articles about smoking and lung cancer ... and it would probably nip that craving in the bud.
  • mead
    Options
    i only get them when i get real stressed or i get depressed
  • mead
    Options
    what made me quite is that i light up and my 2 yr son started to cough and i throw it out the window and never picked back up so if you have children think about them
  • jolinemariem
    Options
    thanks guys.whys it gotta be so hard:grumble:
  • jolinemariem
    Options
    i dont but i keep thinking that i am not getting anything out of this accept maybe lung cancer or copd some day so whats the point of doing it
  • gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't smoke and never had but I am guessing like any addiction, it takes will power!
    BRAVO to all of you who are taking the steps to not smoke!!!
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I read the book "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr, I swear its a miracle worker. Helped me, my brother, and my friends all quit. No cravings after the first couple days. It re-trains your mind and treats the "psychological" reasons why you smoke. Its amazing! :drinker:
  • Mausie
    Mausie Posts: 38
    Options
    I have tried several times to give up smoking ... sometimes for a day, a week, but no matter what I tried and how long it lasted ... I havent had my mind set to it and failed. I tried a bunch of different products, but again, it failed ... I think mainly cause I wasnt ready.
    Almost 2 yrs ago I got some dental work done, was smoke free for 3 days, craved them sooo badly, but I thought to myself I'd be stupid to pick it back up after 3 days!!! ... Smoke Free ever since! :happy: After almost 20 yrs of smoking .... YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Cravings ... Still there ... always will be, I think .... the side of addiction that makes you strong ... to be ABLE TO RESIST THE TEMPTATION ....

If you got your mind set to it, you can do it! Just dont give up! It will be hard ... but doable!!!!