So FREAKING frustrated.

Options
So, since jan. 1st of this year, I have lost 30 pounds.
30!

I can tell I've lost weight in my face a little bit, and my thighs have gotten skinnier, but my belly REFUSES to shrink. I can hardly tell a difference.

I think I may have lost an inch total in my waist, which just doesn't seem like much for almost 7 months of working my *kitten* off.

(Thank the lord I haven't actually worked my *kitten* off, I don't have much to spare! :laugh: )

Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    My belly was the last to go.
  • junkgypsy
    junkgypsy Posts: 217
    Options
    That's not very encouraging! Geez.
    Haha.

But I fear it may never go! I'm googling now to find out if there's anything at all I can do to help.
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Have you been taking your measurements? My belly is my main trouble spot...I've lost about 3.5 inches around my waist (it took me a little over 8 months)...BUT, I definately STILL have a belly! It is smaller...and I am a size smaller but I still have a significant pooch. You may have lost inches...it may just take a little while longer and a few more pounds lost to really lose that belly...it always seems like that's the last area to lose weight.
    Also, are you doing cardio? Strength training is good for you but cardio is what really makes you lose extra fat.

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • junkgypsy
    Options
    Have you been taking your measurements? My belly is my main trouble spot...I've lost about 3.5 inches around my waist (it took me a little over 8 months)...BUT, I definately STILL have a belly! It is smaller...and I am a size smaller but I still have a significant pooch. You may have lost inches...it may just take a little while longer and a few more pounds lost to really lose that belly...it always seems like that's the last area to lose weight.
    Also, are you doing cardio? Strength training is good for you but cardio is what really makes you lose extra fat.

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

I started measuring about 20 pounds in, and since then have lost an inch, I THINK.
    I wasn't measuring in the right spot at the beginning, haha.
    My friend is a fitness junkie, and says I need to up my cardio.

I ride my bike at least twice a week, as well as run. I'm going to try and fit a 30+minute walk in EVERY day if it will help.
  • darthkatalyst
    Options
    yeah.. i lost 3" from my boobs before my tummy started to budge at all... my mom says i look skinny, but i think i just look like the fat-me minus boobs. I went from DD to a C now. :grumble:

i've heard from a lot of people that the tummy is the hardest and last thing to get rid of. sorry i'm not much of a help!
  • dixon5000
    dixon5000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I will give you some advise that WILL work. Normally the belly is the last place that you will notice a reduction. Every where else on your body will tighten up and then after a bunch of cardio and proper nutrition , you will finally start seeing improvements.

Trust me, on most people this is an area in which can be a pain in the butt to reduce. People assume by doing a ton of ab workouts you can spot reduce an area. This is NOT true.

You have reached whats called a plateau. You need to add more cardio and really take a good look on calorie intake. When getting towards the end of your goal. You might find that one cardio a day just isn't cutting it. For me, when I use to prepare for bodybuilding competitions, I would end up doing a cardio of 45 mins in the morning and again at night. Some do three. Its really a individual thing. Some people might say its to much, but EVERYONE is different and you have to really know what your body needs. Some people ( which we all hate) do not have do more then 30 minutes of cardio a day to lose that waist line. Try and up your cardio by adding minutes and variety. Your body, over time, will adjust to the same old routine. Do not let it. Do some homework on the net and read on the HIT programs out there. I do one in the morning and ad a light cardio at night. The reason being, I am to tired do do a high intensity cardio program because of the depletion of carbs and calories.

Nutrition, are you being honest with yourself? Is your diet clean? Every 5th day I ad a HIGH carb day to shock my system. This seemed to get me over the hump of losing weight... You might want to look into doing that. Your body might be getting used to the same old foods.

If you want anymore advise or have questions, please feel free to email me and I can go more into detail....
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    dixon5000 gave some really good advice. I've hit a plateau twice before and upping the length and intensity of my cardio is what really helped me get over those plateaus.
    Also, as far as inches lost...I don't know how accurate this is but I have heard that it takes about 20 pounds to lose one inch (it took me about 30 pounds to lose one inch).
  • junkgypsy
    Options
    I will give you some advise that WILL work. Normally the belly is the last place that you will notice a reduction. Every where else on your body will tighten up and then after a bunch of cardio and proper nutrition , you will finally start seeing improvements.

Trust me, on most people this is an area in which can be a pain in the butt to reduce. People assume by doing a ton of ab workouts you can spot reduce an area. This is NOT true.

You have reached whats called a plateau. You need to add more cardio and really take a good look on calorie intake. When getting towards the end of your goal. You might find that one cardio a day just isn't cutting it. For me, when I use to prepare for bodybuilding competitions, I would end up doing a cardio of 45 mins in the morning and again at night. Some do three. Its really a individual thing. Some people might say its to much, but EVERYONE is different and you have to really know what your body needs. Some people ( which we all hate) do not have do more then 30 minutes of cardio a day to lose that waist line. Try and up your cardio by adding minutes and variety. Your body, over time, will adjust to the same old routine. Do not let it. Do some homework on the net and read on the HIT programs out there. I do one in the morning and ad a light cardio at night. The reason being, I am to tired do do a high intensity cardio program because of the depletion of carbs and calories.

Nutrition, are you being honest with yourself? Is your diet clean? Every 5th day I ad a HIGH carb day to shock my system. This seemed to get me over the hump of losing weight... You might want to look into doing that. Your body might be getting used to the same old foods.

If you want anymore advise or have questions, please feel free to email me and I can go more into detail....

This is more or less what I was thinking.

So what kind of cardio would be the most effective, do you think? I have been jogging, but recently have run into some muscle problems in my calves and am trying not to. My other main form of cardio is my bike, but maybe I should mix it up a bit. Suggestions?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I didnt SEE the difference, but I took measurements from the beginning and there has been huge improvement. The 1 inch in 10 pounds sounds bad, but you have no idea if you had 3 inches lost in the first 20

I hope I made some sense!!

Oh and there is that rule of weight loss:
    "First on, last to go!"

Sorry:cry:
  • junkgypsy
    Options
    I didnt SEE the difference, but I took measurements from the beginning and there has been huge improvement. The 1 inch in 10 pounds sounds bad, but you have no idea if you had 3 inches lost in the first 20

"First on, last to go!"

I know, I guess I am just frustrated.
    I have a co-worker who is dropping weight like MAD.
    Mind you, she's exercising on top of hardly eating, and I know that is not how I want to lose. It just sucks!

I'm googling this HIIT thing now, can't hurt to try it.

I am having issues with my legs. According to the info I found, posterior shin splints. They hurt like hell, and I don't want to wind up with a stress fracture so I have to take it easy.

Sigh.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

"First on, last to go!"

Mind you, she's exercising on top of hardly eating, and I know that is not how I want to lose. It just sucks!

I am having issues with my legs. According to the info I found, posterior shin splints. They hurt like hell, and I don't want to wind up with a stress fracture so I have to take it easy.

Sigh.

Well Dix knows what he is talkign about, and Banks also talks about HIT. You are young and can prob get pretty intense into the program...then I will expect a PM with your Bikini shot young lady!:smokin:
  • junkgypsy
    Options

"First on, last to go!"

Sigh.

Well Dix knows what he is talkign about, and Banks also talks about HIT. You are young and can prob get pretty intense into the program...then I will expect a PM with your Bikini shot young lady!:smokin:

If I can lose my belly, I'll be wearing a bikini only for days on end, just for the hell of it. :laugh: