What do you put on your salads?

Options
2»

Replies

• foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    a lot of you guys really seem to like fruit on your salad. i personally can't stand it! maybe on the side!
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    I like egg in my salad. And homemade dressing is soooo good esp, balsamic :love:. And avocado with bacon (a slice or two cut up). And many veggies. I happen to really like butter lettuce for the soft texture. If you don't like regular iceberg you can try many other salad bases. Experiment! ^^
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I've been mixing 1 TBS Lite Ranch Dressing with 1TBS Red Taco sauce. The taco sauce lightens up the dressing and gives it a really a little bit of a tang and a little heat. It's yummy and I can't get enough.

My salad itself is pretty basic. Greens, red onion, tomato, cucumber, bell pepper.
  • queen3510
    queen3510 Posts: 180
    Options
    Romain lettuce, spring mix combo
    tomatoes, onions, avocado, cukes, peppers
    homemade blue cheese dressing
    salad toppers (salmon)
    boiled eggs
    salad seasoning
  • bikegirl777
    Options
    spinach, green cabbage and red cabbage
    Lots of fresh basil
    red and yellow bell peppers
    tomatoes
    red onion
    dried cranberries
    sesame seeds
    mango
    avocado
    hard boiled eggs
    feta
    ground flax seed
    olive oil and balsamic vinegar

I make a huge bowl and have salad for lunch and dinner. It takes a long time to make and eat and it's really filling. This is a mainstay of my diet.
  • QtPiJJ
    QtPiJJ Posts: 23
    Options
    OOO I use a romaine/baby spinach mix
    Cucumbers
    Green and Red Peppers
    Low Fat Pepperjack Cheese Cubes
    Peapods
    Tomato chunks
    Wasabi spicy nuts
    Low fat french dressing
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    being on a ship and we are at sea for weeks at a time, there is not much I have not put in a sallad or made a salad out of but here are 2 of the best ones so far.

diced chix with dice fresh peaches (after 12 days they where starting to become very soft) low fat cream cheese mixed with low fat mayo crushed red pepers and S&P. mix it all up let it sit for a few hours, and enjoy

Tuna with diced green apples crumbed Feta , S&P.

as far a green salad I have put everything in there from leftover meat, to cut up cold baked potato, beans, you name it
    good luck with green
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Romaine and Ice Berg Lettuce, Baby Spinach (a handfull of each)
    Tomato
    Red Onion
    Red cabbage
    Radish
    Cucumber
    Few Carrot Shreds
    Sugar Snap Peas
    Slivered Almonds
    Freshly Shredded Full-Fat Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
    Home made Ranch Dressing
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    I'm not really a salad person either, but I love veggies! I prefer fresh endive, red bell peppers, radishes and hummus or tzaziki to dip them in!
  • aariel22
    aariel22 Posts: 37
    Options
    high calorie, but very healthy and very filling for a complete meal. I make a BIG salad and it is sooooo good.

baby greens
    sunflower seeds
    avocado
    heirloom tomatoes
    organic flax oil from TJ
    juice of half a lemon
    salt (I use HerbaMare from Whole Foods)
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You may want to try having salads as a side to start with, and then start eating them as meals when you find some ingredients that you really like. Basically, any food you love (Greek, mexican, italian, grilled chicken, etc.) can technically be made into a salad! If I were you that is how I would start...if your favorite food is tacos, then just make a taco salad with the same ingredients.

When I am in a rush for dinner I love hitting the Whole Foods salad bar. I stock up on every veggie they have, add some beans, a pinch of blue cheese, and then I get a side of the balsamic vinegarette. The good thing about salad bars is that you can add a pinch of this or that and see if you like it in your salad before buying a full size amount to bring home.

I also make a salad with pears, dried cranberries, and sliced almonds that is a big hit. I make a homeade dressing that goes well with it...white wine vinegar, oil, celery seed, chopped green onions, and splenda. It's not your typical veggie salad, but it is delicious.
  • vickyclare96
    vickyclare96 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    For my salads I have about 1 cup of lettuce and tomatoes,cucumber and red/yellow (bell) pepper, then i add 3 slices of extra lean ham or wafer thin chicken slices and have 1oz of cheese; this way I get some protein from meat and cheese and loads of vitamin C from pepper :happy:
    My salads I have are what are above and only have 141 cals in them :happy:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Romaine lettuce
    5 croutons
    5 olives
    Red kidney beans
    Homemade Ranch dressing with 1% milk, low fat mayo and hidden valley ranch packet
    A TINY sprinkle of low fat shredded cheese
    A splash of balsamic vinegar

mmmmmmm SOOOO delish! My favorite.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Another thing I like is a Taco Salad. Make ground beef as usual for tacos, and put a layer on a plate. On top pile shredded lettuce, diced tomatos and onions, fat free grated cheese, salsa, hot sauce, fat free sour cream, sliced black olives and hot sauce! Yummy!!
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    spinach, red onion, tomato, feta or goat cheese and turkey w/ fat free catalina. :tongue: Now I want some
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    THIS IS A HUGE DISCOVERY FOR ME!!!! :happy:

Instead of a regular salad dressing (which is loaded with if not calories than soduim,) I use just VINEGAR!

My favorite is this stuff I found at Trader Joes called Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar.

It's delicious and just a tiny bit coats my whole salad! :love:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Wishbone has Salad Spritzers that are ONE calorie per spray and they have several different flavors that allow you to create a lot of combinations, you're sure to find something to suit your taste.
  • skearns
    skearns Posts: 16
    Options
    I like to mix in left over veggies from dinner. Sometimes there's just a little bit of something left so I save it for my salad. My favorite are leftover grilled veggies! Also, black olives are a nice addition.

My favorite dressings:

Asian style: A teaspoon of sesame oil and a tablespoon of rice vinegar, dash of ginger and sesame seeds

Italian style: A teaspoon of olive oil, a teaspoon of wine vinegar, basil and oregano.

Mexican: A big dollop of salsa
    (Great on a salad of lettuce, tomatoes, chicken, a little corn and or black beans)

mmmm. almost lunch time!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    raisins and shredded carrots! Put those on and I don't even want dressing!

*drool*

Just a thought- if you don't like salad (or can't eat one without tons of extras) then try lettuce wraps instead. Get romaine leaves and cram them with chicken, raisins and tomatoes. Sometimes trying food in a different way can let us let go of our 'idea' of what the foods should taste like.
  • beckythebunny122
    beckythebunny122 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I used to LOVE the crispy chicken salads (and the cosi Shanghi one!). To make an approximation use:
    lettuce, spinach, other mixed greens - 2 cups worth
    1/4 cup cooked black beans
    1/4 cup corn
    1 Boca Chik'n Original patty, cooked and chopped into little pieces
    grape tomatos
    Add Newman's Own Light Sesame Ginger Salad Dressing (I use a 1/2 serving)

soooo good! And around 250 calories!