To baby, or not to baby?

Options
yolie1220
yolie1220 Posts: 223 Member
Ok, I need some advice from a subjective source. Here's the situation. I just graduated nursing school in March with my RN. My husband and I were planning to start trying to get pregnant this month but I still don't have a new job. I still have my old job, so income isn't an issue. The problem is, should I keep waiting until I find a new job or just go for it? :indifferent:

Replies

• Chickiebabe151
    Options
    Do it now. if you start a new job (good luck finding one right now btw) you are going to feel obligated to get back to work asap in order to keep that job. I just had a baby and trust me, you will not want to go right back to work. Also, if you get a new job they may frown upon you for having to take a long leave right after you get hired and trained.

I would stay at this job, get pregnant, and take your maternity leave then quit right after. While you are home with your new munchkin you can look for work. With the economy the way it is right now I would hold on to any job you have.

If you live in CA then you will get paid state disability for 10 weeks during your maternity leave. Im not sure if other states do that.

Make sure to check the state laws regarding paid maternity leaves from work. If you do decide to quit after your baby you need to know some information.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess I have a couple of questions first... what kind of job are you doing now? Would your "new" job be particularly physical, exerting, or stressful? What would the benefits be in waiting for a new job to happen? Any negatives to going through pregnancy and birth at your old job vs at a new job?
    Perhaps most importantly, how do you AND your hubby feel about pregnancy now vs an indeterminate later? :smile:
  • yolie1220
    Options
    Well, I guess I have a couple of questions first... what kind of job are you doing now? Would your "new" job be particularly physical, exerting, or stressful? What would the benefits be in waiting for a new job to happen? Any negatives to going through pregnancy and birth at your old job vs at a new job?
    Perhaps most importantly, how do you AND your hubby feel about pregnancy now vs an indeterminate later? :smile:

Right now i am a nursing assistant at a hospital. If I got a new job it would be as a nurse, so not much change. The only benefits of waiting would be not worrying about morning sickness and such while in my 90 day probationary period. I think my hubby and I finally decided to wait one more month and hopefully a job will come along before then. We really don't want to wait much longer because I'm not getting any younger (I'm 30) and we want to have two kids.
  • yolie1220
    Options
    I would stay at this job, get pregnant, and take your maternity leave then quit right after. While you are home with your new munchkin you can look for work. With the economy the way it is right now I would hold on to any job you have.

Thanks for the advice but there's NO WAY I'm waiting almost a year to find a new job. I am working as a nurse assistant right now and I'm a nurse. It is sooo frustrating to have all this training and knowledge and not be able to use it. I'm bored stiff! :yawn:
  • AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Just go for it, if you wait till a good time it will never come, something always comes up:wink:
  • yolie1220
    Options
    Just go for it, if you wait till a good time it will never come, something always comes up:wink:
    My thoughts exactly. But I think one more month will be about right :wink:
  • mortalunicorn
    Options
    I'm a nurse, and I think the most stressful things are the NCLEX and starting out as a nurse, it's wa different than being a nursing assistant, it really takes a year before you get comfortable as a nurse, I would reccomend waiting 6 months from now. Your live will be in a much more stable place.

I've worked with a lot of nurses who've had babies during thier first year of nursing and it's really hard when you come back from maternity leave even if you are experienced. If you aren't you feel like your starting from scratch and makes the whole thing even more stressful. It's also harder to find a job if you are pregnant.

You can do what you want, but it'll be harder if you get pregnant right out of nursing school.

Whatever you decide, I really hope it works out well for you. :wink:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I know u are anxious now, but I think based on what I've read, it would be best to wait a few months...in the grand scheme of things a few months really isn't a big deal

Kim
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options

Right now i am a nursing assistant at a hospital. If I got a new job it would be as a nurse, so not much change. The only benefits of waiting would be not worrying about morning sickness and such while in my 90 day probationary period. I think my hubby and I finally decided to wait one more month and hopefully a job will come along before then. We really don't want to wait much longer because I'm not getting any younger (I'm 30) and we want to have two kids.
    Can you get to be a nurse where you work? That way, you could get the new job, and have a baby, and take leave without upsetting anyone since they already know you there.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    in my experience it's when you stop "trying" that it happens. when it's right, it's right. Got prego my first time on "accident" and the second time just a week after we quit "trying" so go figure. :flowerforyou: best wishes & baby dust! :smile:
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Can you get to be a nurse where you work? That way, you could get the new job, and have a baby, and take leave without upsetting anyone since they already know you there.

I was wondering that too! Talk to a supervisor about promotion - leave out the "I am going to get pregnant" part, it's none of their business and even though it's not SUPPOSED to, it may affect a decision. Explain that you've worked hard to earn your new capabilities, and that you are ready to put your new skills to practice. If you're bored stiff, that means you're pretty comfortable and know the ropes and are ready for a challenge! You also have the added benefit of being able to train a new nursing assistant as you've probably learned that job VERY well and you've "been there, done that, got the t-shirt". :smile:
    Good luck! And whatever you and your husband decide as a team, will always work out... plan, stick to it, and stick together. That's all that matters in the end.
  • yolie1220
    Options

I was wondering that too! Talk to a supervisor about promotion - leave out the "I am going to get pregnant" part, it's none of their business and even though it's not SUPPOSED to, it may affect a decision. Explain that you've worked hard to earn your new capabilities, and that you are ready to put your new skills to practice. If you're bored stiff, that means you're pretty comfortable and know the ropes and are ready for a challenge! You also have the added benefit of being able to train a new nursing assistant as you've probably learned that job VERY well and you've "been there, done that, got the t-shirt". :smile:
    Good luck! And whatever you and your husband decide as a team, will always work out... plan, stick to it, and stick together. That's all that matters in the end.
    Yes, I have been trying very hard to get a job where I currently work but nobody seems to want new grads right now. I never thought the economy would effect nursing but it finally has. They say things should pick up in a month or two.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Take it from me, hang on to your job right now. Unless you have something lined up already, its really hard to find work anywhere. I've been unemployed since April.:flowerforyou:
  • yolie1220
    Options
    Take it from me, hang on to your job right now. Unless you have something lined up already, its really hard to find work anywhere. I've been unemployed since April.:flowerforyou:
    Yes I agree. I never planned on quitting until I have another job lined up. I just got a call today and I have an interview on Tuesday with the same hospital I currently work at! :happy: Hopefully I get it then I don't have to worry about a lap in my insurance (I'm covered on my hubby's too) or building up vacation time for maternity leave. Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope something comes along soon for you :flowerforyou:
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Come to Canada! We're desperate for nurses, and you get 1 year off (paid) for maternity leave :)
  • yolie1220
    Options
    Come to Canada! We're desperate for nurses, and you get 1 year off (paid) for maternity leave :)
    WOW :noway: I'm in the wrong country! But alas, I have kids from a previous marriage so I cannot move too far. I wish the USA would get on board with that idea. I'm not gonna hold my breath. :frown: