Does a cold shower really burn calories?

Options

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You burn some calories, especially if you get cold enough to shiver and get goose bumps, both of which burn up lots of calories. But most people don't stay in a cold shower that long unless it's really hot outside, in which case your metabolism is lower than normal all the time you aren't in the shower.

Swimming tends to use up more. Even though the water may be warmer, the amount of heat loss is large with your entire body immersed.

You use a lot of calories working or exercising outdoors on a cool day. When you get warm enough that you have to take off a layer of clothing, you know you're burning extra calories.

Are you suggesting I swim in the shower?
  • FloridaPops
    Options
    Try it and let us know.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    If it did, we would live in our showers. Or in Antartica. Doncha think? :laugh:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Cold shower? Eh. Cold bath? Probably. I can't find the link now, but there is a calorie burn estimate out there depending on water temperature.

Also, google "cold therapy" for some more arguments for how not only does it burn calories, but also how it has some other potential benefits.

Disclaimer: I routinely take cold baths, not necessarily for any calorie burn, but for the recuperative benefits. It seems to make a substantial difference to me. Placebo? I really don't care if it is, because placebo benefits are still benefits.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    It might not have much of an effect on your weight loss, but it will have an effect on your skin. Since your pores close in response to the cold to keep your body heat in, a cold shower immediately after a workout will trap sweat inside which can lead to breakouts. You're better off with a warm to lukewarm shower until you're clean and a blast of cold afterwards to seal everything up.
  • asgard825
    asgard825 Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Depends on what other activities you get up in the shower...

but generally no.
    yup. shower with a friend and then you can count it as cardio. :)

lol
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: Dunk yourself in a tub of ice at your own risk.

I've actually been researching this recently. Short answer is yes. How many calories depends on temperature and diet... if you are eating any substantial amount of carbs, the body prefers shivering-based thermogenesis for heat, and which will not generate a significant loss of body fat. Once the ability to generate heat via shivering is gone (due to glycogen depletion) and/or core temperature dropping to the point where the body needs to generate additional heat, themogenesis via mitochondrial uncoupling protein and via brown adipose tissue regulated breakdown of white adipose tissue is used to generate heat, which will produce substantial fat losses. Cold showers are unlikely to produce this effect, but ice baths definitely can, to the tune of >1000 calories per hour, potentially (e.g. a huge portion of Michael Phelps 12,000 calorie daily burn is due to thermogenesis induced by cold water, not due to cardiovascular expenditures), for an individual who is already well-adapted to cold). I haven't done the math, but drinking 2L of ice water is something like 60+ calories, so I can speculate that an hour in 50-degree water could yield a few thousands calories worth of fat burn.
  • NotaRaper
    Options
    Actually, for those of you who don't know, cold showers have good benefits.
    Activates Brown Fat Cells
    -When brown fat cells are activated, they increase your body temperature mainly around the neck, chest, shoulders, and lower back. They burn or "melt" the white fat cells they surround
    Also:
    Strengthens Immunity
    Improves Blood Circulation
    Regulates Body Temperature
    Increase Metabolism
    Alleviates Depression
    Improves Lymphatic Movement
    Deepens Breathing
    Keeps Skin and Hair Healthy
    Increases Energy and Wellbeing
    Increases Hormone Production

How to Start

Gradually adjusting from hot to cold showers is recommended. For many, a drastic change in temperature would be too much a stress to their body. Push yourself to step outside your comfort zone, while at the same time listen to what your body can handle. A great way to implement cold showers into your daily routine is by turning the water to cold for the last 30 seconds to a minute of your shower. Give it a try and see what benefits you experience. Who knows, maybe the secret to the fountain of youth is hidden within cold showers.

For more information, visit http://wakeup-world.com/2012/04/11/ten-health-benefits-of-cold-showers/
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Lol you'd probably burn a couple cals more from jumping up and down squealing and dancing around the cold-*kitten* spray pissing down your back. So in that way I can see where it JUST MIGHT work, but you'd prolly have to do that for the entire shower. Gross.
  • goldair23
    Options
    I doubt it would burn anything! But I finish my shower on the cold setting anyway - keeps my hair shiny and keeps my skin nice! (closes the pores and smooths the hair follicles to get grossly visual about it haha) xo
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I do it sometimes in the Summertime when I have been at a July Marching practice to cool my core temperature down (after I have acclimated to a normal shower)... It probably burns about 10-20 extra calories but probably not enough to make real difference... It does for a short time raise the heart rate which would increase metabolism for a short time... After the "shock" is over though, it would go back to normal so it really would be negligible in my honest opinion. As others have alluded, there is not quick fix.. Get to the gym for sustained caloric burn and muscle development.
  • FloyMcCaudie
    Options
    lol i read somewhere "Really hot streamy late night showers bulks up your muscles" so i think opposite would do opposite!
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    there is noway im about to take a cold one..are you on crack?
  • FloyMcCaudie
    Options
    there is noway im about to take a cold one..are you on crack?

they want us to get sick bro! dont listen em
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    not worth it, come on. just take a walk.
  • FloyMcCaudie
    Options
    look bruh,

You loose "tissues" when you sweat.. so if you do it at day! Hell ye u'll loose some but if you do it any night and sleep after that, you'll sleep and gain muscles with double speed and hence when u'll wake up and eat more cos u hungry!, But if you are talking about morning cold showers then ye they'll burn but not enough to get up in early morning and torture urself in shower!
  • ievHB1994
    Options
    Actually, for those of you who don't know, cold showers have good benefits.
    Activates Brown Fat Cells
    -When brown fat cells are activated, they increase your body temperature mainly around the neck, chest, shoulders, and lower back. They burn or "melt" the white fat cells they surround
    Also:
    Strengthens Immunity
    Improves Blood Circulation
    Regulates Body Temperature
    Increase Metabolism
    Alleviates Depression
    Improves Lymphatic Movement
    Deepens Breathing
    Keeps Skin and Hair Healthy
    Increases Energy and Wellbeing
    Increases Hormone Production

How to Start

Gradually adjusting from hot to cold showers is recommended. For many, a drastic change in temperature would be too much a stress to their body. Push yourself to step outside your comfort zone, while at the same time listen to what your body can handle. A great way to implement cold showers into your daily routine is by turning the water to cold for the last 30 seconds to a minute of your shower. Give it a try and see what benefits you experience. Who knows, maybe the secret to the fountain of youth is hidden within cold showers.

For more information, visit http://wakeup-world.com/2012/04/11/ten-health-benefits-of-cold-showers/

Indeed!
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Sounds like torture. Haha
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    What the hell is a brown fat cell and why do I want to stimulate it?

I like my showers at a "possible skin grafting needed" temperature, please. I would be all kinds of mad if I had to take a cold shower.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options