I am a food addict, binge eater and compulsive over eater

Options
I have been using MFP for a while now. Some successes and lots of bumps in the road. The one thing that I have had to admit to myself is that I have an addiction to food. I am person of faith and I have been in much prayer about it today and feel that the Lord is strengthening me and will help me through.
I am curious, however, if anyone else considers themselves a food addict, compulsive over eater or having a binge disorder. I have it all and its so embarrassing. Looking for support and to be an encouragement to someone who is wearing the same kind of shoes.
One of the hardest things that I had to accept today was that I would not be thin for my 25th Class Reunion. That was my motivation and I now admit and know that there is no way. Its five weeks away and I have been yo yo dieting for months and I am still about 40 pounds overweight. But I have accepted it and will be the best me I can be.

Thanks
LInda
Linda

Replies

• jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Overeaters anonymous! Not many people realize that it exists but the girls there are very supportive, I think you might like it.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I am all of those, also. I am much older than you. I really have never yo-yoed ( if ther is such a word). I just kept piling it on. If you really can be happy where you are that is a big first step. The Lord loves you as you are. You need to,also. The OA in my area is pitiful at best. I'm still embarrased about admitting certain things. I'll put you on my prayer list.:flowerforyou:
  • linda1195
    linda1195 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks Holly--I actually live in a rural area and we don't have OA. But I do have the Lord and I know He will help me through. Appreciate the prayers so much.
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Linda, I think a lot of us on this site can claim at least one of those titles if not more. You are not alone. You may still have 40 to loose but you have already lost 10. Focus on your success. Most of us here need support, if it was easy and we could do it on our own there wouldn't be a need for a site like MFP. If you hadn't already read it, I would recommend Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst. She talks about God creating us to crave but it's not food we are supposed to crave, it's Him. This book is really helping me put all this into perspective. It has changed my thinking and my life. I plan to start a small group study using this material for the women in my church over the summer. Best of luck, we're here.
  • TerraLea
    TerraLea Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am a stress eater and if I can't find the right thing to satisfy that hunger then I eat everything in sight :-(
    As of August 2009, I have been chocolate free. Chocolate to me is like alcohol to an alcoholic. Once I realized I had NO self control when I ate chocolate, I gave it up with Gods help. Some days were tough, but now it doesn't bother me. I said this to maybe encourage you. Add me if you want. You can overcome this.
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I think pretty much everyone on earth has been at least one of those things at one point in their life. You're not alone. Food is just one of those things that everyone needs, just like oxygen, water, and sleep. I wouldn't beat yourself up about it.
  • linda1195
    linda1195 Posts: 6
    Options
    thank you for that suggestion!