Help me choose an exercise machine?

Options
Okay so I have an elliptical and I can only do like 3 minutes on it at a time....I was thinking of buying an exercise bike since I know I can do that....I like to walk the track but was trying to find something I could do at home....any suggestions or positive comments are appreciated...thanks!

Replies

• aubhob
    aubhob Posts: 25
    Options
    i like a recumbent bike it is easier on my knees-if you want to get a workout thta includes strength training-the toyal gym worked for me
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    What is keeping you from doing more than 3 minutes.? Pain? Deconditioning? Because If you're deconditioned, I think it's normal to not be able to do much when you're first starting . So just keep doing it and you'll be able to more and more each time. The elliptical is awesome.

If you can't do it because of an injury, or Bad pain or something then that would be another story. but if you're just not used to it and out of shape , keep trying! You can do it!
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I hate the elliptical. Bah. My stride is MUCH longer than the elliptical, and my feet go numb.

If you LIKE the exercise bike, buy that.

I think that if I was going to buy anything, it would probably be a real bike :-)
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Personally if I were to purchase exercise equipment for home, I wouldn't go for another cardio machine. I'd by a set of kettlebells:)
  • ValRAAAAY
    ValRAAAAY Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    At the gym, I mix it up. I do the stairclimber (my favorite at the moment), a recumbent bike (one that works my arms AND legs) I HATE the elliptical, and on the treadmill, I use it as many different ways as I can. I walk backwards on it (YES!) I walk SIDEWAYS on it (YEPPIE!) I walk on an incline, I walk on a flat surface. I walk fast, slow....MIX IT UP!!!!! Don't let your body get used to the same exercises. Trick it. Go slow for a minute, then go as fast as you can for the other two. It'll do a world of difference.

Look up HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). LOTS of ideas there...

Kettlebells. Thank God for the Kettlebells. They'll TORCH calories AND give you amazing muscle definition. UNBELIEVABLE. Look up some videos on YouTube. Start with a a 3 lb or 5 lb. I LOVE THEM. LOVE THEM!

Main thing? Don't give up. If three minutes is all you can do, that's fine. As long as you're moving, that's cool. You'll build up to 30, 45, and HOUR...sky's the limit. :-)
  • ldritc
    ldritc Posts: 6
    Options
    I was having the same issue with my E machine. SO...I got an app. C25K. It got me out running, very gently. I started in January and with no injuries or even soreness...I was able to do my first 5k on April 22. Which I finished in 41 minutes. Just did my second race yesterday...finished in 37.38 minutes. Next is scheduled in two weeks...You get the idea. I am much more committed to this than I ever was to machines. Hope that helps.
    Lisa