124»

Replies

• Want2BSkinny13
    Options
    BUMP
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut anything out. I eat as much healthy food as I can, and I don't eat as much rubbish. I count calories, and I exercise regularly. I make sure I eat enough (and by enough, I mean probably more than most people think they should eat to lose weight). Most of what I eat is plant based, I make sure I get enough protein (1g for every pound of lean mass). And that's about it really. No magic or mystery involved.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut anything out either. I aim for a good balance of fresh foods, and allow myself to enjoy the food and drink-related pleasures I enjoy, provided they fit into my calorie goals. That said, I probably make better choices on average now that I am more aware of exactly how many calories are in certain things - say 90% good choices and 10% indulgence, over a full week. I aim for roughly 40/40/20 carbs/fats/protein over the week as a whole, though I'd like to bring that to around 30/40/30 in due course. I use whole milk and no diet products. My average gross intake is around 2000, with net between 1400 and 1600 on average (I move the goal around every few weeks). I don't fuss too much about daily totals, provided my whole week looks good.

Exercise: I walk as much as possible instead of taking transport, and use my commute home most days as my main exercise - a brisk walk for 45-50 minutes. I also fit an extra walk into my lunch break when possible, and have a small handweight for arm exercises at home, as well as doing a few body-weight exercises approximately three times/week - nothing particularly strenuous. Occasionally, if time allows I take a dance or zumba class. At the weekend, I walk to a local market to do my shopping and carry the fruit & veg. etc home. I drink plenty of water and get plenty of sleep. None of it is rocket science - just finding what works, and is sustainable, for you. Good luck!
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have lost just over 40 pounds and here's what I did:

- Count everything. Yes, everything. There are diets where you can get away without counting, but they can be limiting. Don't trust yourself to guess how many calories are in what you eat...nobody gets 40+ pounds overweight (except the sick and the injured) by knowing appropriate portion sizes and good food choices.
    - Exercise. Exercise doesn't really help you lose weight on its own, but it will accelerate what you're already doing, and besides, don't you want to be in shape?
    - Don't cut anything out. You will just crave it more. Except for maybe soda. Soda has no real nutritional value whatsoever.
    - Live your life. There will be vacations, birthdays, weddings where you will just want to eat whatever you want. So you should! As long as these events aren't happening more than once a week, you can let go and enjoy yourself when they do.
    - Take your time! It's taken me a year and a half to lose 40 ( I was on maintenance for about 10 months though...) Even when I lose, I lose slowly. But I have no loose skin and I have about 25 pounds to go, and I don't think I will have any.