167 Pounds Down and Need Help with My Diet/Nutrition

I started out at 400 pounds and I'm down to 233. I still want to lose about 85 pounds (maybe more). I've been doing horribly with my calorie intake, in order to keep losing at a good rate. It has only taken me a little over a year to lose 167 and it has slowed down some. I'm still losing weel, but I've only been eating about 800-850 calories and when I try to up them to where I feel I need to be, I gain. I burn around 2000 calories a day on average. Over the past few weeks I've started losing a significant amount of hair and I get light headed a lot (mostly when I'm working out)... I actually passed out at the gym last week.

I would appreciate any input you all may have!

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,459 Member
    I'll email you.
  • mfernando6
    mfernando6 Posts: 60
    You need to eat more for sure... you are putting your body into starvation mode by eating so low. You should have at least 1200 calories a day. Try only weighing yourself once a week because your weight fluctuates so much. There is something you can take for the hair loss. I will find out what it is for you.
  • mfernando6
    mfernando6 Posts: 60
    You look great by the way!:smile:
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    I'm not a dr. or nutritionist, but I had stress-related hair loss that has calmed down a lot with better nutrition.

I drink fruit smoothies (two recipes below) and try to eat monounsaturated fats...things like nuts, guacamole, etc. with meals. Also salmon, green veggies, seem to help, too. The hair loss could be related to weight loss, stress, thyroid issues, super lowfat or low calorie diet, a bunch of things).

I would see a dr. just to make sure everything is okay. Congratulations on your weight loss!

Smoothie:

1 c. frozen blueberries,
    1/2 c. pineapple juice
    1 medium banana.

OR

1/2 c. nonfat plain yogurt (I use Stonyfield, as it's creamy even though it's more $)
    1/2. frozen raspberries
    1/2 c. Trop 50 apple juice

Both recipes make 1 serving, so double if you want more than 1 serving.
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    It sounds like you should see a doctor if it's that serious. You need to make sure you haven't done any serious damage.

Also obviously you need to be eating a lot more and probably start taking a multivitamin.
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    First off, you're amazing! That's an great accomplishment.

I know the "starvation mode" rants are about to come pouring in, but in my readings, it's not really that your body holds on to weight, it's that it becomes more efficient at running things at that calorie intake, thus lowers metabolism, and slowing weight loss. I don't think you have a lot to worry about with losing muscle, as much as your work out, but maybe your body simply got use to what you are doing.

Maybe switch it up a bit! Do things backwards, or at different times a day as far as working out goes. Try new workouts, mix it up, throw your body for a loop. Something that's helped me is throwing in a different kind of cardio each week, something lower impact and fun along with my other routine. Also, are you eating before the gym? That may help with dizziness - grab a protein shake, or maybe a piece of dense fruit, just some sort of fuel.

Do you ever have a higher calorie day? Zig Zagging calories sometimes helps - it doesn't have to be a big difference in intake.

If you don't mind me asking, whats your workout routine look like now?
  • peaceinside
    peaceinside Posts: 272
    You definitely need to eat more, lots more. Check out the community brds, search eat more weigh less and read away!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/577479-seriously-eat-more-i-did-and-look-what-happened-pics
    Peace! :flowerforyou:
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    I would certainly see your Dr. Passing out can either be low blood sugar or low blood pressure (among some other things) and neither are good for you.

I certainly applaud your dedication and loss. If you were feeling great I would say stick to the plan but since you aren't. Have you tried upping your protein and fats to eat more but not your carbs? Maybe if you try just those 2 macros you won't gain if you go over what you have been eating. I know it works well for me to keep my carbs fairly low (50-75 net).
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,649 Member
    Vanessa,
    When you up your calories you will see a weight gain, initially. Your body is not used to so many calories and instantly stores them because it doesnt know how long the extra will last. You need to keep eating at the higher rate for your body to adjust to the new level of caloric intake and then you will start losing weight again.

The first 20lbs or so for me came off pretty quickly but then I hit my first little mini plateau. I struggled with the 1200 calorie net because we exercise at night and workouts varied so I never knew how many calories to spread thru the day so I still netted the 1200. I certainly didnt want to come home at 10pm after working out and consume 300-500 calories. Also my meals were uneven, I ate lighter for breakfast and lunch and still was eating a large dinner.

I upped my calories to around 1800 goal a day (went from 2lb loss per week to 1lb loss per week on MFP) so I could spread out my calories a bit better and have that larger breakfast and lunch and work on being more strict on my dinner calories. I dont always eat my exercise calories back but after about 4 or 5 days I was seeing weight come off again. Up until this last week I was consistently losing 1 to 2lbs a week since I made this change.

Due to some medical issues and a surgery that I am having done this coming Tuesday, I have been unable to do hardly any exercise at all, but I've been maintaining my weight even eating at the 1800 goal.

800 calories a day doesnt fuel your body, you dont get the nutrients you need.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Please find and read the stickies in the group "Eat More to Weigh Less"

• skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Oh, jeez! You need to eat more! Going for so long consuming less calories than your BMR is seriously hurting you. Up your calories to at least 1700. You may gain at first but you will feel MUCH better with more energy and after a few weeks will go right back to losing weight.

I know this seems backwards compared to the way you THOUGHT you were supposed to lose weight, but you REALLY need to eat more food. If you don't believe me, then read a post I wrote a little while ago.. I went through basically the same thing.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/572503-why-you-should-eat-more-a-lion-s-tale
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    I agree with this. As scary as it sounds to up calories, you need to. You're hair may keep falling out and you can keep getting those dizzy spells. It matters WHAT you eat, so snacks of raw almonds at the gym, apples/applesauce, yogurt, boiled eggs, etc. are great for workouts, protein powder, etc. You should not gain if you do that, maybe initially and then you will lose lose lose.

Vanessa,
    When you up your calories you will see a weight gain, initially. Your body is not used to so many calories and instantly stores them because it doesnt know how long the extra will last. You need to keep eating at the higher rate for your body to adjust to the new level of caloric intake and then you will start losing weight again.

The first 20lbs or so for me came off pretty quickly but then I hit my first little mini plateau. I struggled with the 1200 calorie net because we exercise at night and workouts varied so I never knew how many calories to spread thru the day so I still netted the 1200. I certainly didnt want to come home at 10pm after working out and consume 300-500 calories. Also my meals were uneven, I ate lighter for breakfast and lunch and still was eating a large dinner.

I upped my calories to around 1800 goal a day (went from 2lb loss per week to 1lb loss per week on MFP) so I could spread out my calories a bit better and have that larger breakfast and lunch and work on being more strict on my dinner calories. I dont always eat my exercise calories back but after about 4 or 5 days I was seeing weight come off again. Up until this last week I was consistently losing 1 to 2lbs a week since I made this change.

Due to some medical issues and a surgery that I am having done this coming Tuesday, I have been unable to do hardly any exercise at all, but I've been maintaining my weight even eating at the 1800 goal.

800 calories a day doesnt fuel your body, you dont get the nutrients you need.

Please find and read the stickies in the group "Eat More to Weigh Less"

• Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel Posts: 175 Member
    If you have been eating at such low levels for over a year, you have probably really destroyed your metabolism. I think you need to see a doctor, and probably a nutritionist, to try and repair your metabolism.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    p..s that's really fast in a year, and I applaud you. But you also need to realize that 800 calories and working out for LIFE is NOT realistic. You are putting yourself at risk for re-gaining and more hair-loss, nutritional deficiencies, low blood sugar issues, etc.

You have to learn how to eat properly and normally to maintain your weightloss for life. 800 is not it, 1700 maybe sounds better and more doable for life.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    I agree with seeing a doctor - not so much because of your symptoms (although that's reason enough) but because if you've been eating that lightly and exercising that much you might need to have some labs drawn to see where you're at from a nutritional perspective. I applaud you for your weight loss, but it's just as important that you be sure you're becoming healthy in other ways than just your weight. Take the time to be sure everything is doing okay, and consider asking for a referral to a nutritionist that specializes in weight loss.
  • I started out at 400 pounds and I'm down to 233. I still want to lose about 85 pounds (maybe more). I've been doing horribly with my calorie intake, in order to keep losing at a good rate. It has only taken me a little over a year to lose 167 and it has slowed down some. I'm still losing weel, but I've only been eating about 800-850 calories and when I try to up them to where I feel I need to be, I gain. I burn around 2000 calories a day on average. Over the past few weeks I've started losing a significant amount of hair and I get light headed a lot (mostly when I'm working out)... I actually passed out at the gym last week.

I would appreciate any input you all may have!

Maybe go to your Doctor and talk to them about what is going on in which he or she might refer you to a dietitian. Losing hair def doesn't sound good to me. I'm thinking up your calories.

But what an amazing accomplishment you have there, awesome work!! you look amazing. Maybe your body is telling you to just rest up for a bit and to take the plateau? i don't know.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    It's okay to gain! Throw out the scale for a little while so your body's metabolism can get back on track and all the retained water ect. that comes from eating more can adjust. Then you should start losing again.
  • I've been where you are. Your body is malnutritioned because you are not eating enough. Your hair will not come back. You need to be eating at least 1500 calories a day. Your light headed because your iron is probably low. you may gain a few pounds at first but your body will catch up and you will start to lose again.
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    First...FANTASTIC LOSS!! Big congrats to you!
    Second, I agree with the others. You need to eat more. And eat some type of protein (string cheese, Old Wisconsin turkey stick, protein bar, etc) about 1/2 hour after working out. The initial gain is just for a short time, then you can continue your weight loss.

Looking forward to seeing you at your goal weight!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    WHen my husband lost 155 pound quickly he suffered hair loss too. He never passed out though. The hair came back eventually. I agree with those who say get a check up. This scares me a little.
    Congrats on your success.

On edit: How is your good fat consumption? Do you eat any olive oil, walnuts and almonds, avocados? These are healthful fats and are really needed by your body. Do you ever eat Salmon? Give these a try dear. I think they might help with slowing your hair loss.