Amazing ABS: How to?

Options
buzzbug
buzzbug Posts: 50 Member
I want to start working on my abs. A lot.

I need stronger abs for the pole dancing that I do. And, it wouldn't hurt if they looked sexy too. :wink:

Is every day too much for ab strength work? Every other day? How long should that part of my routine be? How important is cardio? What are the best strength exercises? Describe your effective ab regimen.

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

I need stronger abs for the pole dancing that I do. And, it wouldn't hurt if they looked sexy too. :wink:

Is every day too much for ab strength work? Every other day? How long should that part of my routine be? How important is cardio? What are the best strength exercises? Describe your effective ab regimen.

Yes, every day is too much, abs are a muscle just like any other, and after being worked, they need rest.

Now, you're not going to want to hear this...but the best ab workout, is NO ab workout. Do core exercises...compound full body lifts (squats, deadlifts, etc). Do them with the heaviest weight you can complete 5-7 solid reps with, and then repeat those (5) reps 5x. These lifts utilize your abs for what they're naturally used for (stability), and this is what they respond best to.

If you want a program, search stronglifts 5x5, and starting strength. I know for a fact there's a stronglifts women's group on MFP. If you find it, they can help you get started quickly and easily.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Yes, every day is too much, abs are a muscle just like any other, and after being worked, they need rest.

Now, you're not going to want to hear this...but the best ab workout, is NO ab workout. Do core exercises...compound full body lifts (squats, deadlifts, etc). Do them with the heaviest weight you can complete 5-7 solid reps with, and then repeat those (5) reps 5x. These lifts utilize your abs for what they're naturally used for (stability), and this is what they respond best to.

If you want a program, search stronglifts 5x5, and starting strength. I know for a fact there's a stronglifts women's group on MFP. If you find it, they can help you get started quickly and easily.

^^this

Pole dancing is really about core, not specifically abs - so you need to work out your core - as chris mentions, compound lifts are the best for this.
  • buzzbug
    buzzbug Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I totally meant core when I said abs, lol.

This is so awesome! I joined the women's 5x5 stronglifts group and now I have a plan. I can't wait to start! This is perfect for the extra core work that I need.

And, I had never heard of compound lifting, but it makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options

Ditto.

I know people with six packs who don't bother doing any amount of crunches or sit ups. They lifted very heavy 3x a week to strengthen those muscles and the fat on top eventually burned off (due to the strength training) and they're just left with strong, defined abs.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I totally meant core when I said abs, lol.

This is so awesome! I joined the women's 5x5 stronglifts group and now I have a plan. I can't wait to start! This is perfect for the extra core work that I need.

And, I had never heard of compound lifting, but it makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Good for you :).
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options

Those exercises do work the core ( pullups work the core aswell) but to directly hit your ab's you need to do weighted ab exercises, I do weigted ab exercises twice a weeks as well as pullups, squats, lunges and dead's during my normal program/ split.
    Also you can work your ab's more than other muscle groups and not over work them.